San Antonio Golf

3,636 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GolfAg93
GolfAg93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Wife and I are taking a 3-day getaway to San Antonio in June. Gonna play a round of golf and want it to be nice. What are the best courses in San Antonio I could get on?
AustinCountyAg
where yall staying
GolfAg93
S
At the Westin on the riverwalk
CapCity12thMan
AG
JW Marriott (go stay here instead)
Hyatt Hill Country
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
The Quarry
La Cantera Palmer Course
Brackenridge
TPC San Antonio
AustinCountyAg
La Cantera Resort course is probably my favorite in SA area.....deals could usually be found on golfnow also
GolfAg93
S
CapCity12thMan said:

JW Marriott (go stay here instead)
Hyatt Hill Country

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming you're gonna cover the price difference?
GolfAg93
S
Just looking online I was think La Cantera. Would y'all suggest Palmer course or resort course?
AustinCountyAg
RESORT
Duckhook
AG
Resort
cb1919
AG
It's hard to express how much I would suggest Resort over Palmer
GolfAg93
S
Well that answers that. Thanks fellas.
Aggie369
AG
TPC Oaks course is best in the city
jja79
AG
You did say you wanted it to be nice.

I stayed at the Westin Riverwalk last month. I think you'll be disappointed in it.

I've never stayed at LaCantera but I can't imagine much being nicer than JW Marriott and TPC. If you're staying there it isn't that expensive for as good as the two golf courses are.
Aggie369
AG
This
Pinche Guero
AG
Gol***93 said:

Just looking online I was think La Cantera. Would y'all suggest Palmer course or resort course?

Palmer course is great, if you like 10 blind tee shots
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Is Tapatio not good anymore for a stay and play?

Used to be great for both
S
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. We're not too worried about how nice the stay is..I just wanted to make sure the golf was top notch. We'd rather save the money by staying somewhere nice-ish, and then spend more on activities while we're there.
GolfAg93
S
It's still a great value, or it appears to be. The one weekend we can get away is the one weekend they have a wedding that booked the entire venue.
jgh85Ag
AG
I cant say I would recommend Brack. It has a lot of history but just over priced for the condition of the course. Our group plays a lot of the ACGT courses and Brack is about our 5th choice.

I would go with either of the La Cantera courses over Hyatt.

Olympia Hills in Universal City is also a challenging course.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
StEdsCOOG
Did a golf outing with 11 buddies at La Cantera about a month ago and really enjoyed it. First time there. Two rounds during the day and pool in the afternoon. Tough to beat.
FishyLamar
AG
What weekend are you coming?
GolfAg93
S
Weekend of the 12th. Checking in Thursday, taking off Sunday. Golfing resort course Saturday morning. Already booked it!
GolfAg93
S
Any recs for night life in SA? Gonna go out for dinner and drink Friday and Saturday night
jgh85Ag
AG
Night life?? This is San Antonio.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Gol***93 said:

Any recs for night life in SA? Gonna go out for dinner and drink Friday and Saturday night
Staying in downtown area or venturing out? I'm too old to care about night life, but we can probably steer you to some better restaurants and get away from that Riverwalk nonsense.

You made the right call with the Resort course and not Palmer.
cb1919
AG
Sternewirth at Hotel Emma for drinks
GolfAg93
S
Yeah, when I say "nightlife" we're not wanting to go clubbing. Just a night out at a nice restaurant, and probably hit up a piano bar after for some drinks.

Whatcha got?
jgh85Ag
AG
Dont ask TFOS. He will recommend the early bird special at Lubys followed up with watching reruns of Matlock.
_lefraud_
AG
If you're not in a hurry (and have the patience) La Cantera is a great place to scavenger golf balls. You could leave there with 20+ pro v, chrome soft and/or other premium balls with very minimal effort.
GolfAg93
S
_lefraud_ said:

If you're not in a hurry (and have the patience) La Cantera is a great place to scavenger golf balls. You could leave there with 20+ pro v, chrome soft and/or other premium balls with very minimal effort.

That's my wife's job while I play! I'll let her know to get ready for a big day.
AG
Gol***93 said:

Yeah, when I say "nightlife" we're not wanting to go clubbing. Just a night out at a nice restaurant, and probably hit up a piano bar after for some drinks.

Whatcha got?
Bliss is really good, little south of downtown. Durty Nellys was fun back in the day when I did go out if you want entertainment. We have a Howl at the Moon, but haven't been there in forever. You should walk over to the Menger Bar for a couple of drinks, look up the history there. Also, need to stop by the Esquire Bar. All a good walk in the area.

I liked 1718 downtown across from the Alamo but see it's closed, amazing all the impact Kung Flu has had.

jgh is a bigger stick in the mud than I am, don't trust his opinion other than conditions at Brack. He is spot on there.
AG
Gol***93 said:

_lefraud_ said:

That's my wife's job while I play! I'll let her know to get ready for a big day.
Give her a nice ball fetcher to reach deep in the woods and down the rock faces, tell her San Antonio rattlesnakes don't bite.
Duckhook
AG
Gol***93 said:

Whatcha got?

Not from SA but my wife and I go somewhat regularly.

There's a little bar called Soho that my wife and I like. Usually quiet until a younger crowd starts coming in at 10:00 or so. We like eating at Boudro's on the Riverwalk. Get an inside table. There's a bar that they had named Zinc that was owned by the same group. It's away from the restaurant on street level. They used to page us over there when our table was ready and we walked over to the restaurant. Don't know if they still do that. Get a reservation well ahead of time if you go to Boudro's. Like 10 days or so.
BEaggie08
AG
jgh85Ag said:

I cant say I would recommend Brack. It has a lot of history but just over priced for the condition of the course. Our group plays a lot of the ACGT courses and Brack is about our 5th choice.

I would go with either of the La Cantera courses over Hyatt.

Olympia Hills in Universal City is also a challenging course.
I agree on Brack. I just don't find it to be all that special. Good muni course, but not worth what they charge. Cedar is far and away the best ACGT course in my opinion, but its a trek for most people.

I can go either way regarding Hyatt v La Cantera.

Olympia used be a solid option, but it got destroyed by the freeze. Played there about month and a half ago and it was trash. Greens were mostly dirt.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.