Meaningless golf Stat putts per round

1,720 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
#1 on the tour is Peter Uihlein. He's also 200th+ on greens in reg.

One putt up and down feels good but doesn't make you a good putter.

Putter ranking should be measured based on the putts per GIR.

You will also see that those with higher GIR% tend to have worse putts per round.

So those of you bragging you had 25 putts per round, do you know how I know you can't hit greens in reg worth a chit...

This is all prompted by Brandel Chamblee's comment regarding total # of putts during some previous Masters. Never really cared for him as a golfer and an analyst but now he just comes off like full of chit.
Rubble
AG
There's a reason I don't keep up with any of my meaningless stats. I just want to hit the ball well.

I do have a goal of no three putts, but still haven't played a round without one
jj9000
AG
PPR is a data point.
FIR is a data point.
GIR is a data point.
Sand Save % is a data point.
Strokes Gained Per XYZ is a data point.
None of these should be looked at as standalones.

But...if you analyze them together...you'll be able to figure out exactly what you need to work on.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I used to think I was a bad putter when I was rolling 32-33 PPR, but I was hitting 12-14 GIR. My issue was my iron play was crappy always leaving me 30-50 footers.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Well....... Driver distance is a great data point as is scoring average...

Everything else beside those two and money leader list is meh..
AggieDruggist89
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

I used to think I was a bad putter when I was rolling 32-33 PPR, but I was hitting 12-14 GIR. My issue was my iron play was crappy always leaving me 30-50 footers.

12-14 GIR and I typically will shoot around Par.

For me that's good golf brah..
AggieDruggist89
AG
I don't think MISIG helps with three putts... But you never know what Bernie will think of next
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Well....... Driver distance is a great data point as is scoring average...

Everything else beside those two and money leader list is meh..

Driver Distance on the big stage doesn't mean squat because the PGA only measures 2 holes per Tournament.

Take a look at the Top 20 in Distance:

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html

So that leaves Scoring Average and Money List...which tells you nothing about someone's game.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Dude...

Serious?

Driver distance, scoring average, money list..

Bryson, Dustin, Justin... Kind of tells the state of their game in my opinion. Sure, Justin is down the list on driving distance.

But I'd say those three stats do tell compelling stories about their game. Of course Driver distance tells how far they drive. 2 holes are not, for me it's a cool Stat that means something not like PPR.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

So that leaves Scoring Average and Money List...which tells you nothing about someone's game.

So Bryson and Justin are #1 #2... Vice versa in scoring average and money list... Tells you nothing about their game?

It tells me they're playing good golf. But that's just my perception.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Dude...

Serious?

Driver distance, scoring average, money list..

Bryson, Dustin, Justin... Kind of tells the state of their game in my opinion. Sure, Justin is down the list on driving distance.

But I'd say those three stats do tell compelling stories about their game. Of course Driver distance tells how far they drive. 2 holes are not, for me it's a cool Stat that means something not like PPR.

Why not just dumb it all the way down to OWGR?

Derrrr...those guys at the top of the OWGR are good...Derrr.

My point is PPR is a valid stat, just like the rest are, which aren't meant to be analyzed as standalone stats. For the guys that aren't at the very top of their game, the rest of these stats help them get where they're trying to get to.

There's a reason why DJ takes a Trackman/FlightScope to his short game sessions.

There's also a reason why DJ worked his @ss off on his short game...and became #1. It wasn't a result of the measurements you're considering important.

AggieDruggist89
AG
If PPR is a good Stat, does OWGR use it in their ranking calculation? Yes or no.

What do they use to rank? I believe strength of the tournament and the placement in the field which is solely based on the score. Not any of those useless mind numbing stats like PPR.

Now driver distance... That's a cool Stat. And the money list.

Bjt OWGR consolidates all the tours in the world. Good ranking. Unlike PGA money list. Nonetheless, my point is that the money list and scoring average are good stats that mean something. PPR is not. Unless you're looking at the PPR when on GIR. Or look at pars saved when not on the GIR. Purely looking at PPR tells nothing and especially doesn't indicate someone is a good or bad putter.
mavsfan4ever
AG
PPR is a meaningless stat. If you miss every green you will have a lower PPR. Doesn't mean you are a good putter.

Putts gained per round is a much more meaningful stat.

Same with every stat I guess. Strokes gained is probably all that matters, even for driving.

But the driving stats seem to be much more predictive of a top player than putting stats.
AggieDruggist89
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

PPR is a meaningless stat. If you miss every green you will have a lower PPR. Doesn't mean you are a good putter.

Putts gained per round is a much more meaningful stat.

Same with every stat I guess. Strokes gained is probably all that matters, even for driving.

But the driving stats seem to be much more predictive of a top player than putting stats.

My point exactly
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Purely looking at PPR tells nothing

PPR combined with the other stats I listed give a good Blueprint.

Money List...OWGR...Driver Distance...well...OK.

I'm on Tour though...what do I need to work on to keep my card?

Rise up on the Money List? Derrrr.
Increase my Driving Distance for 2 measured holes per Round? Derrrr.

I'm about to have to go to the KF. What do I need to work on?
jj9000
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

If I'm hitting 12 GIR and 38 PPR it tells me exactly what I need to work on.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I don't know why you're arguing.

We both agree PPR is worthless. But what other stat makes PPR valid???

Say PPR is improving but GIR is worsening, is the players putting improving? Probably not.

I don't know why you'd make a point about pros using the stats to improve their money list or owgr ranking. That has nothing to do with the point of this thread.

I will type again. PPR is useless. Driver Distance is a cool Stat. Who doesn't want to hit it further. MISIG. Money list and scoring average show who's playing good golf.

What am I saying that is wrong that's prompting yoi to continue to type gibberish argument about how and why pros are doing what? I couldn't careless what they do.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jj9000 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

If I'm hitting 12 GIR and 38 PPR it tells me exactly what I need to work on.

Chip better and knock it closer on the approach?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Or knock it closer on your bunker shots?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Or miss it on the right side?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bottomline is PPR doesn't tell u chit without other stats.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Driver Distance is a cool Stat. Who doesn't want to hit it further. MISIG. Money list and scoring average show who's playing good golf.

Shark... Jumped.
jj9000
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Bottomline is PPR doesn't tell u chit without other stats.

3rd post in this thread.

Quote:

PPR is a data point.
FIR is a data point.
GIR is a data point.
Sand Save % is a data point.
Strokes Gained Per XYZ is a data point.
None of these should be looked at as standalones.

But...if you analyze them together...you'll be able to figure out exactly what you need to work on.

CapCity12thMan
AG
last round - 13 greens, 12 fairways hit and shot -1, 33 putts. I did have a penalty stroke in there, but yes that is a good round, but I can't help but be frustrated with 13 birdie putts and only ending up -1. Don't get me wrong - happy with the round, but IMHO *should* be better. 4 birdies, 3 bogeys. 2 of those birdies were 2 putts. So I went 2 for 13 birdie attempts.

I made a 30' on 2 for birdie but every other made putt was < 3', which says a lot about my lag putting.

I do also take into consideration this was at Vaaler Creek, which IMHO has some tricky greens on some holes.
Rusty GCS
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

#1 on the tour is Peter Uihlein. He's also 200th+ on greens in reg.

One putt up and down feels good but doesn't make you a good putter.

Putter ranking should be measured based on the putts per GIR.

You will also see that those with higher GIR% tend to have worse putts per round.

So those of you bragging you had 25 putts per round, do you know how I know you can't hit greens in reg worth a chit...

This is all prompted by Brandel Chamblee's comment regarding total # of putts during some previous Masters. Never really cared for him as a golfer and an analyst but now he just comes off like full of chit.

Occasionally I'll play a round and enter shots as I go on Grint. I played like hell a couple weeks ago and after I was done had a badge for a round free of 3 putts. Made me chuckle.
CapCity12thMan
AG
14 GIR today, 0 birdies. 38 putts. Truly awful iron play AND putting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.