Gulf Shores, AL course recs

1,079 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Poot
TheGreatScott12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed there later this year and my brothers and I are going to get a round in. Looks like Gulf Shores Golf Club & Peninsula Golf Club are the two nicest when you google it, but wanted to see anyone has played them and could give better insight. We are all pretty good players so looking to play something nicer.
Trucker 96
The 4 courses in GS are Peninsula (my favorite), Kiva Dunes, GS Golf Club, and Craft Farms. I like Peninsula the best by a fair margin, followed by GS. Some really like Kiva but I think it's a windy, bug-ridden beatdown and pretty overrated
Poot
Here's 1 vote for no Kiva. It was in great shape, but the place feels pretty claustrophobic.

If I had the choice, I'd try one of the other two... those some speak highly of KD.
Trucker 96
Peninsula has a 27 hole option that is pretty good if you have time to play all 3 nines. We like to play 18 in the AM, grab a bite to eat in the clubhouse, play 9 more, then head back to the beach house
TheGreatScott12
AG
I appreciate the responses! Gig'em
kelkel25
Peninsula is really nice, Craft Farms in 2nd, Kiva is very closed in and if the wind is really blowing not a lot of fun.
Shelton98
AG
Have only played Craft Farms - Cotton Creek.... it was in great condition but wide open. We're going to try the Cypress Bend course next time.
bcanales05
AG
Lost Key was an awesome course. It is considered a private course, but open to non-members.

Arnold Palmer design but really hard track.

You'll always play in a breeze.
Rusty GCS
AG
ONE Golf Club is an executive course. Don't play it unless you like 280 yard Par 4s and 360 yard Par 5s
BMach
AG
I have played GS twice, enjoyed it both times and was in great condition both times as well. Also, neither time was it crowded at all
Trucker 96
Yeah, I like GS golf club. The front 9 is more interesting while the back 9 is a bit boring (but not bad). We've rented a beach house for a week every other year for the past 10-12 years, and it was actually the last one I finally got around to playing because it seemed like it would be the most generic. So I was pleasantly surprised that after finally playing it, it was probably #2 or 3 on my list of local options.
CatD11Ag
AG
Was there about 1 month ago. Played Peninsula and Kiva Dunes. Peninsula was in rough shape due to hurricane damage repair. The bunkers were unplayable and they basically told us to drop out of them. Multiple holes where crews were cutting up downed trees. I usually enjoy Peninsula but it was not a fun round.

Kiva was in great shape. Unlike some here I really enjoy this course. It is challenging but was in much better shape. Played from the proper tees it is challenging but enjoyable. I agree with the comment about bugs, if you are playing in the summer months. It can play really hot/humid and turn into a beatdown if you are not hitting the ball well.

Love playing these courses in the early spring and fall months.
Trucker 96
Part of my issue with Kiva is probably expectations. With where it is located, I was just expecting more views at some point along the way. Instead it just felt confined with the dunes covered in bug-filled bushes. And the wind sucks (well, it really blows which sucks).

Kind of impressive to build a course pretty much right on the ocean while never offering a view of it
Golf1
AG
Went down to gulf shores couple years ago and played the craft farms cotton creek course 1 day and really enjoyed it. Cant really think of a time where I wasn't enjoying myself, but the mesquitos were awful and had rain for about 3 holes and then got extremely humid as everywhere does near the ocean. Really enjoyed everything about the property of the golf course and greens were great.

Played Peninsula Golf Club and they were just finishing up the aerification during the summer so not much you can do about that but really enjoyed the layout. wish it was more involved with the bay and have more views of the water but still a fun course. Only had 18 of the 27 open and I don't remember which ones I played but thought it was an easier course compared to the 3 that I played.

Played Lost Keys Golf Club which was about 30 minutes from where we were staying in gulf shores. Knew of the nickname going into the course being "Lost Balls Golf Course" and thought that names lived up to it. Was definitely one of the more difficult golf courses but really loved everything about being there. Can't remember the name but had a long drive competition guy practicing on the range beside us and then had the Blue Angles practicing over us while we were playing. Course was very difficult and sometimes hard to follow but I wasn't there to shoot my lowest round and still had a great time playing a golf course in Florida.
Poot
Lost Key is really tough... tightest course I've ever played, considering the winds (which I assume are a constant).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.