Denver Golf

2,519 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htownag2007
ConvAg34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be in Denver for a day in May - I'll have a few hours to kill before the Rockies game and would like to get some golf in. Any must play recommendations?
Sooner Born
I would just play the newly revamped City Park. It's not the best ever but good enough with great proximity to downtown/Coors Field.

Most of the "must plays" are going to be 30+ mins away from the stadium.
ConvAg34
I'm not super worried about time. I fly in around 8am and the game isn't until 7pm so I've got time to kill
An Ag in CO
AG
Fossil Trace in Golden
Arrowhead in Roxborough
The Ridge at Castle Pines North
Riverdale Dunes
Green Valley Ranch

Those are all worth a look.
GY_AG14
AG
Commonground
NColoradoAG
The answer is always Bear Dance.
bagger05
AG
I like GVR but it never seems to get much love among Denver courses. I always thought it was a really fun course. A couple spots where you have great views of mountains in the distance. Was always one of the best conditioned courses in the area when I lived there. I think 16 is a terrible hole but otherwise I think there is some really cool design and a good mix of scoreable and hard holes. Also right next to the airport which is convenient.

Fossil Trace is fun. It's a bit tricked up in places but very unique. Golden is also a cool town with some cool bars. I say skip Coors and go to the other brewery (Golden City, maybe?). It's a little house with picnic tables in the back. A favorite among Mines students and sometimes some music in the afternoons.

Commonground is a great track. Not super picturesque but I feel like it's a really strong course. Gives you lots of options of how to play it and I always had a ton of fun playing out there.

Arrowhead is beautiful and a great experience. Very nice and a couple of postcard holes that are unlike other places. The golf is just okay, IMO. Just depends on what you're looking for. If you want some great Instagram posts and great service it's a very good choice.

Bear Dance is probably the best combo of natural beauty and great golf. A little bit out of town but worth it if you can. This was my go-to if I wanted to treat myself.

Murphy Creek in Aurora is fun. Kinda linksy feel at times. Also was always kept in great shape. Can be windy af out there. Pretty good value.

I always thought Riverdale Dunes was pretty damn tough. Feel like I didn't really figure it out until I played it a few times. Maybe I'm wrong but I remember feeling like there was a lot of danger I couldn't really tell was there. Not a lot of blind shots but areas you should really avoid but it wasn't obvious just from looking at it. Highly regarded though. Probably would be fun and challenging if you're good.

Haven't played City Park since they redid it. Heard the changes were really good.
watty
AG
Green Valley Ranch is really good. It's the only one I've played, but it's legit.
Sooner Born
NColoradoAG said:

The answer is always Bear Dance.

False. The answer is always Cherry Hills...if you know someone
Sooner Born
But in all seriousness, depending on what you're looking for Common Ground and Murphy Creek are two good ones that are easily available to the public.

Common Ground was the sister course for Cherry Hills in the 2012 US Amateur.

Murphy Creek hosted the 2008 USGA Publinks Chamionshiop.
NColoradoAG
I was going by the OP's request of must play. As far as it goes on the front range I think the three can't miss courses are Bear Dance, Arrowhead, and The Ridge. I rank them in that order as well for fun, value, and service.

GVR, Murphy Creek, common ground, and Fossil Trace are fine courses but I wouldn't put them in the "one day in Denver" list.
ConvAg34
Thanks guys, Bear Dance is my current front runner. I appreciate the feedback
NColoradoAG
ConvAg34 said:

Thanks guys, Bear Dance is my current front runner. I appreciate the feedback

Let me know if you need a partner. Might drive down
htownag2007
AG
I'm going to be there in a few weeks and I need one more course. We're down to Ridge at Castle Pines North or Bear Dance on the public side or I've got a friend that could get us on the Club at Ravenna. We are staying in Castle Rock if that matters. Which one should it be?
proudaggie02
AG
^
Tough one, but I'd probably lean Bear Dance over The Ridge... both have great views but BD has more, both are pretty hard to put up a good score (especially if you don't know the courses), and both are in good shape but Ridge is in better shape.

Red Hawk Ridge is a sweet course as far as elevation changes and it's fairly easy. I'd also highly recommend my home course, Lone Tree: greens are usually 11-12, a good mix of birdie holes and tough one, and the back is really pretty and elevated with some sweet mansions.
htownag2007
AG
Thanks.
How do those compare to Ravenna?
proudaggie02
AG
I've never played Ravenna, but it looks really nice (I have relatives that live there).
ColoradoMooseHerd
You are flying in the day of the game and going to drive down and play Bear Dance same day? Personally I would not recommend this. Traffic is going to be a ***** after your round of golf heading from Larkspur up to Boulder.
NColoradoAG
The answer is still Bear Dance. And then riblets after the round.

When I played Bear Dance on Fathers Day it was in great shape. The 2019 winter took a bit of a toll on the course last year but it's bounced back great.
htownag2007
AG
Not sure if this is directed at me or not, but no. I'm going up in just a few weeks just for golf. I luckily am getting the opportunity to play Castle Pines.
dbtexasag05
Castle Pines Golf Club or Country Club?
Agof88
AG
I'm partial to Inverness. Great shape and made my first hole in one yesterday after 35 years of trying.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Agof88 said:

I'm partial to Inverness. Great shape and made my first hole in one yesterday after 35 years of trying.

Congrats. Hope you saved the ball. Some idiot friend of mine continued to play with his hole in one ball and lost it. WTF
htownag2007
AG
Castle Pines Golf Club
dwm
AG
Played Castle Pines yesterday. Gorgeous course. Enjoy.
dbtexasag05
Enjoy your time at Castle Pines. It's a very special place.

Chocolate Banana Milkshake with a rum floater at the turnyou are welcome in advance.

Also make sure to stick around after the round and putt in their version of the punch bowl. I assume you are playing with a member. Spend some time in the locker room. The hot tub overlooks the 18th green. And if you had too much the night before, there is an ice bucket shower.

In the locker room I have always been in awe of the names on the lockers in there. Soak it in, there isn't much like it on the planet.

Also read:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/1999/08/23/tom-horal-no-one-rolls-out-the-red-carpet-better-than-the-keeper-of-the-locker-room-at-castle-pines

That article hits the nail on the head.
htownag2007
AG
Thanks.
I'm pumped. We are playing a couple of rounds and staying on site, so I'm going to get the full experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.