Eagle Pointe #16

2,968 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Poot
jonj101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you that have played this course in Mont Belvieu, what is your approach?

469 par 4 (424 from the blues). The tee shot can catch a steep down hill area that can potentially roll into a creek splitting the fairway. The approach shot is often from an uneven stance, and is uphill to a left to right green - it also has to carry the initial creek and another pond.

I feel like I'm constantly playing this hole for bogey.
Ag83
AG
jonj101 said:

For those of you that have played this course in Mont Belvieu, what is your approach?

469 par 4 (424 from the blues). The tee shot can catch a steep down hill area that can potentially roll into a creek splitting the fairway. The approach shot is often from an uneven stance, and is uphill to a left to right green - it also has to carry the initial creek and another pond.

I feel like I'm constantly playing this hole for bogey.
Used to play that course quite a bit back in the day but haven't played it in years. But my typical approach would be to start cursing the *&^% as I walked off the 15th green, hope and pray, then walk off with my snowman (or worse) still cursing the *&^% as I headed to 17th tee.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Poot

evestor1
Terrible hole.

Back in day I'd hit 2 iron and just see what was left.
Poot
Pretty much this... hit something 215-220, end up with 210-230 off a downslope. That's really the only bad hole out there.
FarmersFightAg
AG
and the strangest thing is that this isn't the #1 hcp hole... Hole 16 always plays like a par 5.
07fta07
AG
Been a while since I've played there so I don't remember what I hit, but I do know that's about the worst hole in all of Houston (on an otherwise great golf course).
jonj101
Yeah, I love the course in general, even though there are a few holes that get me in trouble with my distance inconsistency. Number 7 I hit a 5 iron off the tee and it still went all the way down to the creek. A few of the dog legs got me in trouble as well when I was trying to hit 3 wood.

But I can understand those holes as a sense of fairness - its just on me for club selection/inconsistent execution. 16 just screwed me twice the other day. Tried playing it two different ways and failed both times.
Mr.Bond
AG
By far most difficult hole of any public course in Houston area....my opinion
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Poot
Mr.Bond said:

By far most difficult hole of any public course in Houston area....my opinion

Cypresswood Tradition #16 would like a word... and several at GCoH... depending on the tees you're playing, my opinion.

16 Eagle Point is incredibly awkward and difficult though and without thinking too hard about it, it's probably top 5.
Mr.Bond
AG
16 at traditions is tough but I've made par on it countless times. GCoH for me personally was never that tough. 3 of my lowest 4 scores ever were that that course.

16 at EP for me personally.....I've never made 4 or better and I've played it at least a dozen times. It's a brutal hole
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

DOCAG79
AG
Stupid hole! I like EP, but that course almost ruins it for me!
MarkPro
I have referred many friends to go and play EP. I think it is one of the best value courses in the greater Houston area, and a lot of fun to play. I will second all of the negative posts referring to #16, just a really stupid setup/hole. And when I do refer it to someone, I include the caveat that that hole sucks.

My suggestion to making the hole more playable, would be to convert it to a par 3, by installing tee boxes on the downhill portion of the fairway. You could really stretch it out for the bombers, and make it a longer hole from the up tees. That's all I have.
1208HawkTree
AG
I've always thought that if they moved the tees way back it would go from a terrible par 4 to a good par 5.
'03ag
Reminds me of #15 at Pecan Valley (river). Part 4 407yd with a huge river running through the fairway.

Even from the whites it's minimum 300 yards to carry the river. And if you tug it left you start looking at more like 330.

So you have to layup, but if you want to get your 2nd shot inside of 200 yards, you risk running into the river anyway. So you end up laying pretty far back and having something like 4iron iron the tee, then 3H or 3W into the green.

AledoAg86
AG
'03ag said:

Reminds me of #15 at Pecan Valley (river). Part 4 407yd with a huge river running through the fairway.

Even from the whites it's minimum 300 yards to carry the river. And if you tug it left you start looking at more like 330.

So you have to layup, but if you want to get your 2nd shot inside of 200 yards, you risk running into the river anyway. So you end up laying pretty far back and having something like 4iron iron the tee, then 3H or 3W into the green.

I thought they would have changed this hole for the better during the renovation a few years back (it was a par 5), but they did not. #18 (to the right of #15 in this picture) is a little quirky as well for a par 5. A layup (with a short iron) leaves you at least 150 yards out for your 3rd shot or you risk rolling into the river when the fairways are firm.

Thirty years ago (before the trees got too high on the right side), we would play our second shots over the river to the right of the green and try to get up and down for a birdie.
'03ag
AledoAg86 said:

'03ag said:

I thought they would have changed this hole for the better during the renovation a few years back (it was a par 5), but they did not. #18 (to the right of #15 in this picture) is a little quirky as well for a par 5. A layup (with a short iron) leaves you at least 150 yards out for your 3rd shot or you risk rolling into the river when the fairways are firm.

Thirty years ago (before the trees got too high on the right side), we would play our second shots over the river to the right of the green and try to get up and down for a birdie.
That makes sense because the other thing I was gonna say is the green complex is incredibly small and tight. Like a par 5. So the approach from 215 is a basically impossible for a high handicapper.

I don't understand why they don't move the tees up. Playing from the whites make the minimum carry something like 260 so that there's at least a risk reward to it for a high handicapper. Make the guys playing from the tips carry it 300+.
Big Slice
AG
Played my high school regional tournament at Eagle Pointe. Shot low 80's both days, pretty sure I finished in the bottom 10, but the highlight of the week was making birdie on that par 4 the second day.
Hit 3 wood, 3 wood again, then drained a 30 footer for bird. Don't ask what I made on that hole the other day lol
TommyGun
AG
Tough tough hole. It's supposed to go through a remodel as part of the whole revamp the course is scheduled for. There has been a lot of talk, but no action just yet. However, my understanding is that the course is supposed to be expanded to a 36 hole design as well as a par 3 course on the existing driving range. There is quite a bit of unused real estate the city owns they are planning to expand on. I'm hoping they'll follow through with it.
1208HawkTree
AG
TommyGun said:

Tough tough hole. It's supposed to go through a remodel as part of the whole revamp the course is scheduled for. There has been a lot of talk, but no action just yet. However, my understanding is that the course is supposed to be expanded to a 36 hole design as well as a par 3 course on the existing driving range. There is quite a bit of unused real estate the city owns they are planning to expand on. I'm hoping they'll follow through with it.

They were talking about lengthening it and also making it #18 shortly after they opened. Plan was the current 17&18 would become 10&11 then 10-16 would become 12-18. I liked that idea when I heard it 15+ years ago, but nothing ever came of it.
Poot
That would be a great solution to the problem, because it's a really awkward par 4 on a pretty cool piece of land. I've always thought there had to be a way to make that a par 5, and a much better hole.
suburban cowboy
AG
I'm a member and MB native. I typically lay-up to the right side of the fairway near the woodline. There's some even surface play and elevation over there. I then aim far left, over the pond to more elevation. Carry the pond to over there, that leaves a wedge to the pin.
bbr4132
Eagle Pointe is hands down my favorite low-fee course in the Houston area. I've missed a lot of birdie putts on hole 16. I have an old Calloway Steelhead 3 wood that I've been hitting for 20 years and an easy swing off the tips followed by another easy swing from the hill usually does the trick. I'm actually on in two more frequently on #16 than #7. #7 is the hole that gets me in trouble on that course.
AggieLitigator
I've only made par on 16 one time. I'm a decent golfer and I've played over 50 rounds there. It's just brutal.
Retired Principal
AG
Great course but #16 at EP is not really fair. How about 10 at Woodlands Player Course? Tough hole as well.
Poot
I've only played it once, but I remember the tee shot on 10 at GP is uncomfortable and it's really long. That ditch is really imposing.

How about 8 at High Meadow Ranch? That's a beast. That's one I play all the time. As far as 2nd shot demands, considering the length of the shot, I'll put it up there with pretty much anything in/around town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.