Thinking of hanging it up

6,617 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rusty GCS
TThom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jonj101
Looking through your vids, I'd forgotten you took lessons from Neil. (Recognize that voice anywhere).

Do you think that is causing you to over think things a bit?
evestor1
I see it all the time. Left handed golfers...that need to give it a shot right handed.

Only Canadians can successfully play left handed golf!
jj9000
AG
evestor1 said:

I see it all the time. Left handed golfers...that need to give it a shot right handed.

Only Canadians can successfully play left handed golf!

Phil is pretty good.

...and he's right handed.
dcrewint
I worked an AJGA tournament 2 months ago or so. No lie, there were more lefties in that tournament (boys and girls) than I've ever seen total. Probably 20lefties.
oldflyer
AG
tandy miller said:

dcrewint said:

A shank can be influenced by a closed club face, but it is not the only cause.

This. If the face is wide open, the hosel leads
Not according to this guy: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/butchharmon_shaketheshanks#:~:text=Because%20the%20ball%20darts%20right,the%20ball%2C%20it's%20shank%20city.
powerbelly
AG
Quote:

But shanks usually come from an excessively closed face

You know that usually =/= always.
Shelton98
AG
oldflyer said:

tandy miller said:

dcrewint said:

Not according to this guy: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/butchharmon_shaketheshanks#:~:text=Because%20the%20ball%20darts%20right,the%20ball%2C%20it's%20shank%20city.
Yeah, but what does Butch Harmon know about the golf swing?
jj9000
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

The sternum moving closer to the ball in the downswing is a terrible culprit as well.

Sternum moves closer to the ball...impact position moves towards the heel...next thing is a clank.

Source = First hand experience.

A really good drill to stop this (and its only a drill)...is to either swing with a golf ball under each toe...or ensure all of your weight is in your heels from backswing to follow-through.
khaos288
AG
jj9000 said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

The sternum moving closer to the ball in the downswing is a terrible culprit as well.

Sternum moves closer to the ball...impact position moves towards the heel...next thing is a clank.

Source = First hand experience.

A really good drill to stop this (and its only a drill)...is to either swing with a golf ball under each toe...or ensure all of your weight is in your heels from backswing to follow-through.
No surer way for me to hit a duck hook.
dcrewint
Shelton98 said:

oldflyer said:

tandy miller said:

dcrewint said:

Yeah, but what does Butch Harmon know about the golf swing?
There's a couple things written in that article you're leaving out.

He's taking the problem listed with an "out to in" swing path. Tad's swing looks in to out, so when he says an open clubface in his swing can lead to a shank, he is correct.

And, as posted by powerbelly usually doesn't equal always.

It's important to take in the whole situation, not just part. Alternatively, leaving out a part can lead to a misunderstanding.
tandy miller
AG
FWIW this was a swing from the last time I played before taking time off. It was ugly

FJB
Chipotlemonger
AG
tandy miller said:

FWIW this was a swing from the last time I played before taking time off. It was ugly

Wasted the good swing on that full warm up swing.

As I think others have recommended in this thread to have more fun and get in your head less, go play some golf and don't do any warm up full swings.
Thisguy1
Tempo looks a lot different in those swings. Looked like you were just trying to smoke it when you were lined up over it. Try to club down and focus on a smooth swing instead of maxing out a club.
powerbelly
AG
tandy miller said:

This is why I don't take practice swings.
Rusty GCS
AG
RK said:

WP69 said:

Good tip an instructor gave me years ago is if you're standing over the ball for more than 3 seconds, step away. Anything longer and your brain floods itself with the zillion things you think you're supposed to do.
i got reminded of this several times yesterday when i would hit a really sh*tty shot...then angrily throw another ball down and take a thoughtless swing at it...and hit it really well.

I 4 putted hole 18 today. Then walked back across the green dropped a ball and drained the original putt.

So now I have to play again tomorrow

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.