Thinking of hanging it up

6,629 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rusty GCS
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been playing for 5 years. Typically shoot 90-100. Take lessons. Lately it doesn't matter what I do, I can't make solid contact. My practice swings are great, but as soon as I step over the ball it all goes to hell. It's almost like target panic in archery. Last time I played I shot a 68 on the front and got so frustrated I broke a wedge over the back of my neck and had to get stitches. I don't know what to do... I love golf, but the game is no longer fun
Trucker 96
Sorry to hear that. Most of the time I've lost sense of contact, there was a very basic stance (drifting too far away), posture (coming out during the swing), or grip issue (too weak or strong)
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Stop taking practice swings

No one who is good is trying to mirror a practice swing to their actual. It's simply to stay loose or a specific feeling taking it back on plane or a simulated weight shift. Just something to remind the body you know what you are doing and then pull the trigger. I see tons of ****ty ams grinding over 3 practice swings and then skull it up the fairway and rinse and repeat for like 18 holes.
Trust your range sessions and athletic ability and let it go.
Trucker 96
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Agree. My only legit practice swings are for chips. Everything else is a loosening swing. Except for Bryson, you will see the same for PGA players
dcrewint
Are you a member at a local course? If so, go do some different things to change it up. get the love back and see if the swing comes back. For example, I was on the verge of trying to play a round with just my hybrid, wedge and putter because no matter how bad everything else was I knew I could get around the course with my hybrid. Prior to going out to do that I was loving on the hosel - we knew each other intimately. I made a slight take away change and it made all the difference in the world.

If you're gonna hang it up, just hang it up for a few weeks and return. Don't go open up with a fire-sale. If you do though...and you have a Spider I call dibs!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
As someone who also struggles with anger, you have to find a way to lose or use, otherwise it will eat your game for lunch.

If you use any intoxicants while you play you might consider changing the one you use or eliminating them all together.

When I struggle I simplify it, take my bag down to two or three clubs and a putter. Then if all else fails change the game you play to shake some it off, play a scramble or shamble, but you have to get rid of the bad juju. You are taking lessons and practicing so you are doing what you can. You aren't a pro so you dont have to take it some serious. Advice I have to give to myself several times a round
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Too much tension over the ball. It's in your head now. No more practice swings and loosen your grip pressure.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Honestly smoke a j on the course.
tandy miller
AG

No one who is good is trying to mirror a practice swing to their actual. It's simply to stay loose or a specific feeling taking it back on plane or a simulated weight shift. Just something to remind the body you know what you are doing and then pull the trigger. I see tons of ****ty ams grinding over 3 practice swings and then skull it up the fairway and rinse and repeat for like 18 holes.
Trust your range sessions and athletic ability and let it go.

Its even **** at the range. That last time I played I missed the green completely with 8 balls from 50 yards. Basically every miss you can have, I have. FAt, thin, shanks, some weird reverse shank with driver that is hit off of the back of the hosel and rolls about 30 yards, you name it ive got it. Even when I feel like I hit the ball solid it only goes about 40% of my "normal" distance. I now hit a PW about 70 yards. Full swing.

Theres likely something to the practice swing thing, as im exactly the guy you described above
TwoMarksHand
AG
Quit worrying. Grip and rip that ****er.

Also, one thing that helped me a ton in golf: you're going to **** up hard at least 5 times a round. So when I have a terrible hit, I don't get mad, I just chalk up to the 5.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It won't hurt to trying
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sounds like a mental issue. You have a glitch somewhere. Check alignment, grip and posture, on the range. Make sure you are actually lined up where you are trying to hit it first and foremost. Your subconscious is a crazy b. If you aren't set up correctly but think you are, your subconscious will correct for that in the swing causing all sorts of issues.
Set up correctly and then trust it.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Golf isn't a game to play timidly. I'm not saying try hitting low percentage stupid shots, but the shots you take trusting it, swinging aggressively and blocking out any worry of what bad could happen.
Put it this way, you really should swing loose because it sounds like it can't get any worse
tandy miller
AG
Absolutely cant get any worse. Ill admit that my alignment tends to get lax as i shank ball after ball. I got my sand wedge that I broke reshafted but probably wont play again for awhile. Maybe thatll help
Shelton98
AG
The only way I can envision someone never making solid contact and losing that much distance is by falling to their trail side and trying to lift the ball in the air.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
When you have that bad of a stretch there are only two things that will help.
Take an extended break away and start fresh. Don't pick a club for 2 months
Or hit the range and grind until something clicks and then hammer that feeling home until it's second nature
tandy miller
AG
Icing on the cake is getting invited to both Bluejack and Carlton in the last month. Made excuses both times
tandy miller
AG

When you have that bad of a stretch there are only two things that will help.
Take an extended break away and start fresh. Don't pick a club for 2 months
Or hit the range and grind until something clicks and then hammer that feeling home until it's second nature
I have a lesson in early may. am not picking up a club until then and telling brady that i want to completely start over. Works out, as im in the early stages of a startup and will have minimal time for a few months
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Next time you get invited and don't want to go...phone a friend!!
tandy miller
AG
same guy wants me to come play pikewood and pete dye this summer. Hopefully something changes
Rubble
AG
I quit worrying about **** along time ago. I don't do range sessions. I don't practice. I love playing golf, but I'll never make a living at it. When I go play, I go to the range to warm up and hit about 20 balls. I don't think about anything. I line up and hit the ball.

My HCI went from 11 to 8 last year.

Stop thinking so much. Just have fun.
CapCity12thMan
AG
If you're breaking clubs you need to stop playing.

A lesson is not going to change anything. You're in for 6-12 months of lessons and playing like crap until you see results. If you are not prepared for that then don't try.

Sorry to be harsh, but golf
Isn't supposed to bring rage like that.

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Clearly you need a MISIG
El_duderino

This is the correct answer. Plus it'd probably keep you from breaking a wedge
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
El_duderino said:

This is the correct answer. Plus it'd probably keep you from breaking a wedge

Username checks out
jj9000
AG
I'll add my 2 cents in here.

If I remember correctly, you posted vids of swing changes and other things you've worked on. So, you've already put in a good amount of work.

If you're ready to quit, this absolutely will not hurt.

Try going out to the course, and playing, but don't keep score. This is easier said than done, but just see ball and hit ball. That's it. No technical swing thought crap going through your head. Literally, just see ball and hit ball. Your practice has already ingrained the muscle memory, so just let it rip.

Baseball players step into the box, and they don't have the time to stand over the ball with 50 different things going through their head. If they wait too long, they're going to let a heater hit the catchers mitt before they can commit to swinging. They have to just react to what they see. That's kind of my point here. Put yourself in a good pre-shot position, clear your head, and just swing. What's the worst that could happen? If you clank one, who gives a ****. Try it again.

You're not hampered by a physical disability (I don't think), so, the issue is between the ears. I watch a lot of really talented younger players play, and you'd be surprised at how little they think about what they're doing. They literally just see ball and hit ball. Rinse and repeat.

Rarely (if ever) do I give swing tips on here. Rule #1 is don't take swing tips from Internet strangers. This is a bit different though. Don't give up on the game. Make it fun again. Stop beating yourself up over bad shots. Remember, your out there to have fun 1st, and everything else is secondary.

Lastly...never ever turn down an invitation to play somewhere b/c of the state of your game. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) other than you gives a damn about your score. They only care about pace of play, and etiquette. I've had more fun with folks that can't sniff 110 who have a good attitude, than I have with super serious folks who are trying to break 70.

Keep us posted.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This, as long as you keep pace a play and have good etiquette I couldn't care less what you shot or if your a 1 handicap or 30
tandy miller
AG
jj9000 said:

I'll add my 2 cents in here.

If I remember correctly, you posted vids of swing changes and other things you've worked on. So, you've already put in a good amount of work.

If you're ready to quit, this absolutely will not hurt.

Try going out to the course, and playing, but don't keep score. This is easier said than done, but just see ball and hit ball. That's it. No technical swing thought crap going through your head. Literally, just see ball and hit ball. Your practice has already ingrained the muscle memory, so just let it rip.

Baseball players step into the box, and they don't have the time to stand over the ball with 50 different things going through their head. If they wait too long, they're going to let a heater hit the catchers mitt before they can commit to swinging. They have to just react to what they see. That's kind of my point here. Put yourself in a good pre-shot position, clear your head, and just swing. What's the worst that could happen? If you clank one, who gives a ****. Try it again.

You're not hampered by a physical disability (I don't think), so, the issue is between the ears. I watch a lot of really talented younger players play, and you'd be surprised at how little they think about what they're doing. They literally just see ball and hit ball. Rinse and repeat.

Rarely (if ever) do I give swing tips on here. Rule #1 is don't take swing tips from Internet strangers. This is a bit different though. Don't give up on the game. Make it fun again. Stop beating yourself up over bad shots. Remember, your out there to have fun 1st, and everything else is secondary.

Lastly...never ever turn down an invitation to play somewhere b/c of the state of your game. Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) other than you gives a damn about your score. They only care about pace of play, and etiquette. I've had more fun with folks that can't sniff 110 who have a good attitude, than I have with super serious folks who are trying to break 70.

Keep us posted.

Will do. I really appreciate this post.
WP69
AG
Good tip an instructor gave me years ago is if you're standing over the ball for more than 3 seconds, step away. Anything longer and your brain floods itself with the zillion things you think you're supposed to do.
jonj101
WP69 said:

Good tip an instructor gave me years ago is if you're standing over the ball for more than 3 seconds, step away. Anything longer and your brain floods itself with the zillion things you think you're supposed to do.
This is what I do at times right now. Its almost like I'm chasing feels during various points in the swing, and of course when I do this during the round it kills me.

Although I still struggle with it, at times I'll just try to force my focus by thinking "I want the ball to go to X", and just try to put it on X without giving thought to mechanics on getting there. If it gets there fine, if it doesn't do it again.

Its frustrating because even though you've hit a ton of shots and chips, your own mind will interfere with what your body is capable of doing, and continue the cycle of frustration.
tandy miller
AG
WP69 said:

The honda classic made me think about this this weekend. Matt Jones stands over the ball for like 2 seconds. Im there much longer, just a thinkin'. I think I will try this when I get back out there
ORAggieFan
Don't keep score for a few rounds. Go to have fun.

I've had a love/hate relationship with golf most of my life. I started when I was 8. I really was never very good. I've never broke 90. My little sister started beating me in high school and that's about when I quit. She went to play in college and married a pro. My dad is a single digit handicap and has been for years.

I got back into it about 5 years ago. I committed then that I'd never take it too seriously. I go to get out of the house and hang with friends, drink some beers. I do play my dad's member/guest every year and I've been able to use that time to just bond with my dad versus getting too worked up. It helps that we generally do pretty well thanks to my high handicap.

I'd just not practice, not keep score and go have fun. Get things out of your head.
b_rad
AG
Come on......Barkley still plays
jonj101
Who were you going to for lessons?
tandy miller
AG
Lauren and Brady at Augusta Pines. I dont think its the instructor. As others have said, I think its between my ears
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.