Memorial Park has lost their effing minds

21,691 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mr.Bond said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

The taxes argument does irritate me a bit as it really only applies to home owners
Taxes are factored into rent for people who lease.

Fair enough. If one had to guess what do you think the average tax payers pays per year to parks and rec? I'm genuinely curious. Because if it's as little as I think it is, then the argument is bogus. Create a membership program like many course do all over the country. Many in AZ do this as well
It seems like the city wants this to be a perk for its citizens. It doesn't really matter how much in taxes actually go to parks and rec, but it looks like the budget for P&R is about 3% of total for the city.

They want city citizens to be able to afford the fee and be able to get tee times. At least that is how it looks to me.
Mr.Bond
AG
powerbelly said:

Mr.Bond said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

The taxes argument does irritate me a bit as it really only applies to home owners
Taxes are factored into rent for people who lease.

Fair enough. If one had to guess what do you think the average tax payers pays per year to parks and rec? I'm genuinely curious. Because if it's as little as I think it is, then the argument is bogus. Create a membership program like many course do all over the country. Many in AZ do this as well
It seems like the city wants this to be a perk for its citizens. It doesn't really matter how much in taxes actually go to parks and rec, but it looks like the budget for P&R is about 3% of total for the city.

They want city citizens to be able to afford the fee and be able to get tee times. At least that is how it looks to me.

My perspective is they want to make as much money as possible on it by price gouging local people. But thats their right to do so. I've personally never met someone who couldn't ever get a tee time, we landed one damn near every Friday and had the same advantage of anyone.

Many other courses do a city, county, state resident type fee then something outlandish for visitors. Not sure why MP can't do the same.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Who cares what percent of taxes go to parks and rec? I still don't see what's so egregious about a COH course giving a price break to COH residents?

If you really want to play just pay the extra fees and if not then don't. If you don't think it's worth it then don't pay it.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Who cares what percent of taxes go to parks and rec? I still don't see what's so egregious about a COH course giving a price break to COH residents?

If you really want to play just pay the extra fees and if not then don't. If you don't think it's worth it then don't pay it.
I dont want to pay the egregious fees as a houston area resident therefore i am not going to. Its not just a price break either.....its nearly 200 percent higher to those of us who may work in houston, spend tons of money in houston daily and happen to live 3 miles outside the city limits.

I am bitter that a course i have paid literally thousands of dollars to which helped contribute to where it is now, has turned its back on me, im frustrated and venting.

its a discussion board. You dont like my opinions hit the mute button.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Part of it is being available to COH residents, but honestly talking to the people that work there and other connections, they are really trying to lower the number of rounds on it a year while keeping up something close to the same revenue.

Pre Reno it was the 1st or 2nd most played course in America. That is a ton in upkeep. Since the redo they limit the tee times to 10 minute intervals instead of 8 min and no walking on unless a tee time doesn't show or is not booked. No more squeezing in a 4 some. Also the whole year post redo it was cart path only. The month of may this year is cart path only. I would bet we have at least two more months before the tourney that will be cart path only.
The city is committed to keeping it a pga tour level course and you simply can't do that with out limiting the rounds on it.

I do agree with you that there should be tiers. Coh residents 1.
Surrounding burbs not paying coh taxes 2 with a membership fee , all others full price.
Ag_07
AG
The problem with the 3 tired cost structure is that it wouldn't make a dent and it wouldn't get the job done (FWIW I'm not sure the current structure does either because getting a tee time hasn't gotten any easier).

That 3 tier structure works for courses like Torrey and Chambers Bay because people travel to play those courses. No one is flying to Houston to play Memorial Park.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

The problem with the 3 tired cost structure is that it wouldn't make a dent and it wouldn't get the job done (FWIW I'm not sure the current structure does either because getting a tee time hasn't gotten any easier).

That 3 tier structure works for courses like Torrey and Chambers Bay because people travel to play those courses. No one is flying to Houston to play Memorial Park.

Definitely agree with this which is why I always felt like the pricing structure was to stick it to non COH residents in the area. I also agree with the rounds per year comment. I believe it's their intention to lower it drastically but thays a simple fix. Have a certain amount of tee times per day and that's it. Not sure the revenue is gonna be the same as i just don't see people paying enough $140 green fees to make up for it. I'm sure the tee sheets are still full, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if more than 10 percent are non COH residents

Enjoy the discussion with all. I know I'm heated on this. It's a course I'm passionate about and dearly miss spending my Fridays at. Woe is me

ajcastil18
You hit the nail on the head Bc the Astros Foundation's presentation to the city was to keep non-resident play to 10% in order to give preferential access to COH residents. From what I've seen and heard at the course, it is still getting a ton of play.
terradactylexpress
COH resident, we NEVER got tee times. Tried all the time when it was a lottery and when it changed to the 6am opening so sounds like they are doing us a favor by booting some of the non-residents out
Ag_07
AG
So anyone know what keeps someone from checking in with someone else's name? Do they have your DL picture in file at the desk?

Basically why can't I check in as John Doe who I know is registered as a resident and act like him and pay resident fees?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Nothing, I don't remember showing my id. They just verified my name was in the system. I'd probably plan to pay cash cause it's the same guy checking your name is verified in the system that takes your credit card payment

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.