Memorial Park has lost their effing minds

21,676 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is insane. We play here nearly every Friday as non Houston residents....not anymore
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Icecream_Ag
S
Black horse is next door to me. I think I'll be playing there a lot more frequently
Ag_07
AG
I don't think that's outrageous for one of the top munis in the area and a PGA tour course.

I also like the idea of making a City of Houston muni course cheaper for City of Houston residents.

While it does suck for nonresidents maybe it'll make it easier for some us residents to actually get tee times.
Yesterday
AG
That's cute. They're trying to be a Torrey Pines.
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Curious where you got this. It says effective Jan 1, 2021 but they haven't been going by this. As a city resident, I love the rate, but the non-resident rate is certainly a little steep for the course in its current shape. Give it another growing season and that will probably be about right though.
AustinCountyAg
last I heard the new rates start around middle of March
investorAg83
AG
As a non Houston person not in the know...what we're the rates before?
Mr.Bond
AG
Hotdog Hamblin said:

Curious where you got this. It says effective Jan 1, 2021 but they haven't been going by this. As a city resident, I love the rate, but the non-resident rate is certainly a little steep for the course in its current shape. Give it another growing season and that will probably be about right though.

In the pro shop
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Mr.Bond
AG
investorAg83 said:

As a non Houston person not in the know...what we're the rates before?

40 bucks

Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't think that's outrageous for one of the top munis in the area and a PGA tour course.

I also like the idea of making a City of Houston muni course cheaper for City of Houston residents.

While it does suck for nonresidents maybe it'll make it easier for some us residents to actually get tee times.

I just couldn't disagree more. At least half a dozen courses in Houston area in 60 to 90 range that Trump memorial. I could be wrong but I think this decision bites them in the ass. Houston isn't a golf destination. Courses here thrive off locals .

Gus has to love this decision

JCA1
AG
The non-resident rates seem to be about $40 too high but not crazy, IMO.

Between the extremely affordable rates for Houstonians and the fact that it's a "Tour stop," I suspect the course will be just fine.
DRE06
AG
The resident fee is prob too low and the non-resident too high.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I could see maybe charging $60-80 but $120-140 is awfully steep.
jj9000
AG
The non-resident rates are pretty silly.

Maybe that's the point.

I don't see an issue with Houston muni giving breaks to Houston proper tax paying residents/players.

Ag_07
AG
And there's plenty of locals to support that course. There's people lined up at 630 every morning to get on the walk on list.

This won't hurt them one bit.

And Gus is already getting tough to get on and I imagine is gonna be damn near impossible now.
E
AG
That price is way too high for the condition it's in, but as a resident I love it!

Maybe I wont have to wake up at 5:59am Wednesday mornings to get a tee time for the weekend anymore...
Ag_07
AG
Also there's a big loop hole in the system as it is right now.

Right now the system only requires the person making the tee time to be a resident. So I could make a tee time for my foursome and prepay the resident rate for all four.

Are they going to do away with all prepaid times and charge people at the counter based on their address? Sew like that's the only way to truly charge people the correct rates.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

And there's plenty of locals to support that course. There's people lined up at 630 every morning to get on the walk on list.

This won't hurt them one bit.

And Gus is already getting tough to get on and I imagine is gonna be damn near impossible now.

My group has never had issues getting Fridays at either but who knows

Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also there's a big loop hole in the system as it is right now.

Right now the system only requires the person making the tee time to be a resident. So I could make a tee time for my foursome and prepay the resident rate for all four.

Are they going to do away with all prepaid times and charge people at the counter based on their address? Sew like that's the only way to truly charge people the correct rates.

You have to get a new log in and to get resident rate each person must have a verified ID ME account or it'll be a non resident fee

Ag_07
AG
Now that's interesting.

So if I make a foursome tee time as a resident I have to enter all my foursomes info and if they're not all a resident we all pay nonresident fees?

Not sure how that's gonna work
Mr.Bond
AG
Correct per the guy in club house. Otherwise my group would be set because we have 1 resident.

Same thing at Torrey per my memory. Buddy was local and booked time but I paid non resident rate when I showed up because they asked for ID

Funky Winkerbean
AG
And this is why I hate muni courses. As a consumer in Houston, it's great. As someone from the golf business it puts a competing course at a severe disadvantage in the golf market.

Are their greens alive?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Marauder Blue 6
AG
This sucks. I wish they'd allow people who WORK in Houston with a verifiable pay stub to take advantage of resident rates. If I'm a course outside of the city limits, I'd start using a similar pricing structure to penalize Houston residents.
Ag_07
AG
How so?

Seems like this would give competing courses an advantage. Play here for cheaper no matter where you live.

As already mentioned Gus is loving this.
jj9000
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

If I'm a course outside of the city limits, I'd start using a similar pricing structure to penalize Houston residents.
Supply and Demand won't allow Houston suburb courses to take this route...unless there are Houston suburb courses that have people waiting outside on off days for tee times.

Add in the fact that this is a PGA Tour stop now...and you've got ultra-high Demand.

I don't know the background...but...did Houston proper taxpayers fund the bill for the Tour renovations?

If so...then this makes even more sense.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Troutslime said:

And this is why I hate muni courses. As a consumer in Houston, it's great. As someone from the golf business it puts a competing course at a severe disadvantage in the golf market.

Are their greens alive?
Ran the track the other evening...no greens...they now have browns.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

I don't know the background...but...did Houston proper taxpayers fund the bill for the Tour renovations?

If I'm not mistaken some tax money was used, but most of it was from the Astros Foundation.

But regardless operation and maintenance falls under the City of Houston parks and rec department which taxpayers fund.
Mr.Bond
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Troutslime said:

Are their greens alive?

And incredibly slow

Hammerly High Dive Crips
Mr.Bond said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Troutslime said:

Are their greens alive?

And incredibly slow
Yep, even a few weeks before the freeze, played it on a Wednesday evening and couldn't believe how slow they were compared to normal. With my putting game and the new undulations, it definitely helped though. They were super speedy back in September.

I love the new layout of the front 9 and the overall look of the course, as I usually only play evenings, but am hoping to check out the rest of the course soon. Haven't played a full round there in 2-3 years but have prob played the front 9-12 fifty times in that time frame.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ag_07 said:

How so?

Seems like this would give competing courses an advantage. Play here for cheaper no matter where you live.

As already mentioned Gus is loving this.

Now think of the residents that won't be playing anywhere else.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
cab559
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ag_07 said:

I just couldn't disagree more. At least half a dozen courses in Houston area in 60 to 90 range that Trump memorial. I could be wrong but I think this decision bites them in the ass. Houston isn't a golf destination. Courses here thrive off locals .

Gus has to love this decision

I'd like to know your public list here? And how many of them are in central Houston? I think that's the point here....
jonj101
If someone played there every Friday, that would be the monthly dues at a number of private courses in the areas surrounding Houston.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
It's currently letting you book as non-resident at the normal rates. I am curious if after March 1 they'll be charging more on site when you arrive or if it's just not into effect yet. They posted all that on site and didn't do it in January. Then online it says effective March 1, 2021.. who knows
JYDog90
AG
How do they know you're a non-resident? My mailing address is Houston but I live in unincorporated Harris Co. Are they pulling up your address on something or do you just show them your drivers license?
The Milkman
AG
This is exactly what they said they'd do when they first closed for the renovation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.