V1 golf vs arccos vs other

5,256 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SuperAg05
Aggieaggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wanted peoples opinions on a golf tracking app people use?
htownag2007
AG
I've used arccos a few months and am a fan. I have the grips with the sensors installed.
andrago94
AG
I have been using Arccos for a couple of years now and really like it. About 6 months ago they switched from giving you a handicap rating on each part of your game to a strokes gained system. You can compare your strokes gained numbers to any handicap level. My goal this year is to get to single digits so I have it set to compare me to an 8 handicap. Biggest impact on my game is taking more club on approaches after seeing just how often I was missing greens short. I also find it fun to be able to quickly check how far my drive went when I bomb one (I consider 275 a bomb). Haven't had any battery issues yet, except having to change the battery on the putter sensor. Putter is the only sensor where you can change the battery.
tamu2009
AG
Arrcos faithful here. Love the product and their customer service
Aggieaggie95
Those with the grips can you tell a difference? Do they hang more off the butt? I dont think I'd like just the sensors but could deal with the putter one
bodaciousbood14
AG
I have the Arccos sensors that screw in to my regular grips and there is no difference.

+1 for Arccos.
TXAGGIES
so I am a new user to Arccos, and really struggled last weekend with shot detection.

I played with the Link and after 2 or 3 holes it disconnected and would not reconnect so I had to go to my phone in the front pocket.

it was raining and sloppy so cart path only, i am not sure if I got to far away from my phone in the cart?

1. Are short chip shots usually missed?
2. Is adding putts a common issue?
3. Any experience using Arccos in rain/overcast? does it struggle to detect them?
4.When playing my first round I couldn't get the app to show distances to certain points on the hole? I know the caddie will not work until I complete a few rounds, but I thought the GPS should work no matter what.
5. Being cart path only, if I bring 3 clubs with me does Arccos struggle to determine which club i actually hit of these 3?

Any other tips you guys can provide?
htownag2007
AG
It definitely can struggle at times picking up chips or other shots from the rough where there is not the normal impact sound.
I often have to add putts as well, but the biggest thing on putts is to get the approximate location right for your first putt.
No noticeable difference for me with overcast other than I make sure the link picks up a GPS signal before I start the round.
Related to picking up the wrong club, I try to make sure the other clubs are laying down if I've grabbed a few. If you just set the extra club up against the cart I have seen it will often pick up the wrong one. The sensors are supposed to go to sleep when upside down.
TXAGGIES
Thanks for the feedback.

It was raining and really sloppy and perhaps the contact was muffled by the soggy sod? I was having to look at my phone after every shot just to see that nothing was detected and then edit the crap out of every hole.

How does the GPS work? I thought I could just touch the screen and a circle would appear with the distance, but that didn't seem to work with the android, or must i complete 9 rounds before the is active?
powerbelly
AG
aggietony2010
AG
I'm interested. Do you need anything besides a phone to pair them with?
powerbelly
AG
Just a phone. They are these https://www.arccosgolf.com/products/arccos-caddie-smart-sensors
TXAGGIES
aggietony2010 said:

I'm interested. Do you need anything besides a phone to pair them with?
based on my experience, a lot of patience
FincAggie06
AG
The addition of Link for Arccos has been much more accurate than when I used my phone.
TXAGGIES
FincAggie06 said:

The addition of Link for Arccos has been much more accurate than when I used my phone.
Have you ever experienced the link disconnecting? I emailed the support site and they stated that even if I was outside the Bluetooth range of my phone the Link should save the data and upload as soon as I get back within range of my phone.

Hopefully my round tomorrow has a lot less issues. Fingers Crossed.
FincAggie06
AG
Nope, hasn't happened to me yet.
TXAGGIES
I will say yesterday's round was a lot more effortless. I ensured i started the link early and really had not detection issues.

Those of you more experienced with Arccos, I marked all the flagsticks with the link but struggled editing my putts.

Example, I was 35 feet away on my first putt left it way short and made an 8 footer. When I edit, it shows 32 feet, 2 putts. Is that 8 footer recorded somewhere? I thought I could get make % by distance but I may be doing something wrong.
htownag2007
AG
Yeah I don't think it really registers the length of your made putts. From what I read the main things are the location of the flag, your first putt and number of putts
limup1215
AG
For now you can just mark distance of first putt. They are working on upgrade that will allow you to mark distance of each putt for more accurate putt statistics. They are also updating their strokes gained for putting.
limup1215
AG
Couple more comments on Arccos.

If you chunk a shot and hit near same spot it assumes first was a practice swing. You will have to edit and add a shot.

It sometimes will pick up another club if some are near where you hit but very easy to edit. Doesn't happen often.

It does not know if putts goes in so you will need to make sure putt counts are accurate. Takes a second or two as you walk off green.

It is a great system that will definitely lower handicap. It factors in a lot of elements to give you best distance to use and then shows you distances of your clubs from actual usage to help pick right club. You will have a lot more confidence in distance calibration.

There is a lot more data to view on iPad or computer to help diagnose areas to improve.
b_rad
AG
More of a lurker here and always pick up some great golf tips here....appreciate the help from a lot of you Ag's. This forum is refreshing, and I guess its because we are all in this together......unlike the politics forum : )

Coming back around to this, because I've been thinking about purchasing. Not sure. Some of the reviews on the new LINK has not been that great (many 1 stars out of 5), and I don't want to put a phone in my pocket. Not sure if there is anything else/better out there? Or, if this is even worth the money?

Also, what is one of the better apps for course yardages out there? I have an UPSIDE range finder and feel that it is pretty accurate but thought maybe an app is better.

Just played Timber Creek in Friendswood yesterday after not playing for about a year (various reasons, but go to the driving range/putting green every now and then)...greens there or so so due to freeze. Wasn't crowded at all, so played solo and played 2 balls (more practicing than anything and there wasn't anyone to hold up behind me) on each hole for 18. The back nine, I was basically out there by myself...at 3-3:30 in the afternoon). Combination of the 2 balls....shot 78.....7 over. If I had played one ball, I'd say I would have shot 82ish? I'm 61 but in shape (former crossfit, spartan, savage racer). Months ago, I got fitted by Trevor at PI...so new set of irons. Trying to dial in my yardages with them so to help with that, I have a PRGR pocket launch monitor....8 iron around 160-165. Have a hitting net in garage too but don't hit much on it.

Yes, yes I have a MISIG : ) Watch a lot of Eric Cogorno videos/instagram too.

Also, if there are any on here that live on this side of town (Clear Lake) and like to play during the week after 3ish. Not that I can make it all the time.
Mateo84
AG
I used Arccos for over a year. Really liked it, but as I played more and more rounds, the data didn't change much, and it became annoying to try to keep up with the data during the round. The system would sometimes get out of hole order on my course, have trouble with GPS, or not log the data well. I got tired of messing with it and stopped using it. I really liked getting accurate data, but it took away from the overall experience of playing golf.
b_rad
AG
That is what I kind of saw on some of the reviews by other golfers......that it took away from actually playing golf.

Do any of you recommend a good course layout app for knowing distances or do most of you use a range finder?

Again, appreciate all your thoughts on many of these post on this forum.
TXAGGIES
Mateo84 said:

I used Arccos for over a year. Really liked it, but as I played more and more rounds, the data didn't change much, and it became annoying to try to keep up with the data during the round. The system would sometimes get out of hole order on my course, have trouble with GPS, or not log the data well. I got tired of messing with it and stopped using it. I really liked getting accurate data, but it took away from the overall experience of playing golf.

I echo this. I got it for a birthday present and I'll use it for the balance of the subscription but doubt I'll renew.

I really liked getting more accurate club distances, but the hassle of looking at it to ensure that the proper club was recorded takes away from the round. I also recently had my sensors batteries go dead so some rounds I'll hit an 8i and manually have to mark it. In some cases I'll hit a 9i to avoid the hassle.

Putting is an area that if they improve I think I'd consider keeping them. Currently marking putts is not real accurate even when manually marking them as in some cases the app won't allow you to mark certain locations.

Customer Service has been great, they replaced any sensor which didn't last 2 years but it can take a round or two before you receive them.

Let me know if you have any other questions as I am going on about 6 months of usage and also use the Link instead of my phone.
Trucker 96
Don't have Arccos, but have played with others that did a few times. I'd echo that it looked like a distracting asswhip. The players using it were also not coincidentally the slowest in the group because they kept having to **** with it. Just seemed like it takes your mind elsewhere instead of on your shot
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
My arrcos is pretty flawless and has really helped my game. The on course distances are great number to have and the caddie feature both live and to preview a round is awesome. For me, the arrcos is generally correct about club selection as well because it's factoring in the weather and the elevation. The cool thing is you can set the handicap you want to play to and it evaluates your game to that. It helped me focus on my chipping first then my tee game.

I have had a few sensors go out but nothing major they replaced them within a week. I still keep my score on the card out of habit unless I walking. It misses at most one shot a round.

I don't look at it a ton during the round and if I plan to I have my phone in a cup holder mount in the cart that a check before I jump out of the cart but don't really fool with it anymore than my range finder or any other gps device
SuperAg05
AG
Yeah, my experience with Arccos doesn't mesh with some of the others here. I have been using it for 9 months, and it doesn't slow me down a bit. Phone stays in my pocket, I grab my club, hit my shot, then go to where the ball is. I take my phone out of my pocket at the ball to see the GPS distance and maybe see what club the Caddie recommends, but that takes about as much time as looking through a range finder to get the distance to the flag.

Walking off the green, I'll pull out my phone just to see that it recorded the right number of putts (here is the one area the sensors have trouble. It will often miss putts or add extra ones, but its easy enough to hit the + or - to fix it) and then it's on to the next hole.

I really enjoy using it because it keeps track of my performance on the same hole at the same course round after round. So, if I'm on hole 7 at a course I play at a lot, I can pull up the scorecard and it'll show me what I scored on that hole the last several times I played it. Helps to remind me where my head should be.

I also like that once I'm done with the round, I can go onto the online dashboard (not the app, but on a computer) and it'll automatically give me stats about GIR, Fairways Hit, 1st putt Distance, Up & Downs, Bunker Shots, etc without my having to record them at the time.

As far as a game improvement aid that you can use while actually playing the game on a course (not just at the range), I don't think Arccos can be beat.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.