How do you quit hitting in front of the ball

2,203 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cjsag94
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At least a couple times a round - Great drive then get ready for nice and easy approach shot from the fairway with 3-4-5 iron and I hit in front of the ball, chunk a huge divot and ball rolls helplessly 30-40 yards. How can you fix that - I've tried stance - stand closer, farther, up on the ball, back in my stance. Any drills?
Old Tom Morris
Could be a number of things, but I'd start with focusing on maintaining your spine angle and posture through the swing.
TecRecAg
AG
Often hear about people hitting behind the ball.. not in front.

Without seeing your swing my best guess is too much weight on the front foot.
jgh85Ag
AG
You dont mean behind the ball? I can't picture hitting in front of the ball, taking a divot and actually hitting the ball.
Big Al 1992
AG
Yes - behind the ball.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Hit the little ball first
oldschool87
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

At least a couple times a round - Great drive then get ready for nice and easy approach shot from the fairway with 3-4-5 iron and I hit in front of the ball, chunk a huge divot and ball rolls helplessly 30-40 yards. How can you fix that - I've tried stance - stand closer, farther, up on the ball, back in my stance. Any drills?

Hold your head perfectly still... everything else will follow!
Obi Wan Ginobili
Basically impossible to guess without videos of your swing.

If I had to guess, you have a hip bump in your backswing making it difficult to get your weight out on your lead leg when you make contact with the ball. If your weight is center or even slightly on your back leg, you'll catch everything heavy because the bottom of your swing plane is at or behind the ball instead of an inch past the ball.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Easy approach shot to a green with a 3,4,or 5 iron ?
Must be nice. I would consider easy approaches to be a gap wedge, wedge, or nine iron.
AustinCountyAg
best guess is not transferring weight to front foot in the transition. two of my favorite drills when I start getting the fats is set up to ball like normal, and then move it up right off my front front. Forces you to really focus on transferring weight to your front foot. The other drill is set up normal to ball but not actually looking at the ball when making the swing. Pick out a spot three or four inches in front of the ball and hit that spot.

Also I try to slow my swing down a lot. Solid, center face contact at 60%, goes further than crap contact at 80%.
jj9000
AG
It could be a number of things.

I would start by never...ever...taking internet swing tips from strangers.

That's where I'd start.
G Martin 87
AG
This is my biggest swing issue. I routinely hit way behind the ball. When I'm having trouble, I'll setup with a wide stance with the ball just to the left of center, transfer all my weight to the left foot to start the downswing, and hold the lag as long as possible. But that takes a lot of intentional concentration and makes me feel like a robot. I haven't found the secret to making the weight transfer happen naturally.
aggiedent
AG
The best swing tip I ever heard in my life was when me and a buddy of mine got paired up with a married couple. He was French and she was South Korean.

My buddy likes to tell everyone who will listen what he is doing wrong and how it effects his ball contact. So after about 7-8 holes of this, he starts explaining to her how he failed to do so and so with his wrists.

She looks at him and in a distinct S. Korean accent says, "You think too much. Just hit ball." Priceless and so very true.
Mateo84
AG
OP - once you figure this out, you've figured out the secret of golf: hit the ball first and then the turf. It's going to be a complicated mission.

There are people who dedicate their careers to solving this specific problem: golf instructors.

Best of luck
CTGilley
AG
Move the ball back?
ktownag08
AG
I'm no pro but my guess is that if you're hitting a 3-5 iron, you might by trying to overswing to some extent to hopefully make it to the green. With the overswing, you might be closing your eyes or otherwise taking your eyes off the ball.

Just a random internet strangers guess so hope it helps.
CTGilley
AG
ktownag08 said:

I'm no pro but my guess is that if you're hitting a 3-5 iron, you might by trying to overswing to some extent to hopefully make it to the green. With the overswing, you might be closing your eyes or otherwise taking your eyes off the ball.

Just a random internet strangers guess so hope it helps.
Good point. Most should probably have a hybrid. I dropped the the and really the 4 (Still in the bag but rarely gets used) The hyrbrid is much more forgiving. I have saved a lot of pars. It can still be hit fat but not easily.
jja79
AG
Best golf advice ever.
cjsag94
AG
Obvious statement..so extra fat divot behind the ball means your club is bottoming lower than it should and further back than it should.

I've figured out when I do this it is typically after my best drive with a perfect shot at the green. On those shots, I've pictured my next in my mind with such perfection that I just can't wait to see it... So before impact, I'm looking up.. which means left shoulder and head starts to come up (to look towards target), weight shifts to back foot and right shoulder goes down. Result is a fat shot.

The final sign is that this also results in a jammed up follow through as my arms are pulled in toward my body and I notice my follow through stops well short of where it should. So I focus on staying down through impact and full follow through as I've found that's what it takes to not hit fat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.