Removing Grips

1,115 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hamburger Dan
WhoopN06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know some on this bird do their own work on clubs and some remove grips without cutting them. What tools and process do you use to remove grips without cutting them?

Does it work with grips installed with tape? Do you use compressed air?
khaos288
AG
All tour vans use tape and solvent, so I do the same. Compressed air, especially with corded grips, is sub optimal.

I bought a grip removal tool, and it works wonders. It's just a long steel flat piece with a wooden handle that allows you to get in between the grip and tape and get solvent to make removal easy. A little practice, and I can do 2-3 per minute now.
WhoopN06
Then remove the tape, apply new tape, and new grip?
Yesterday
AG
Been using compressed air on corded grips for a few years now. It is correct that you can ruin them but I haven't yet. Can blow one off and on in less than 10 seconds. Can save the old grip, don't have to use new tape unless the old is worn out and I don't have to let them sit.

It's one way to do it and I have no Issue with solvent.
khaos288
AG
WhoopN06 said:

Then remove the tape, apply new tape, and new grip?

Depends. About half the time it comes out so clean I can re use tape
WhoopN06
Thanks everyone.
Hamburger Dan
I change my grips twice a year. I just cut them off, but a lot of people blow them off. Most club repair places use the air.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.