Spikes vs Spikeless

1,517 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zgolfz85
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This may have been discussed on here before so if so, just direct me that way, but what's everyone's opinion on this?

I've had spikes my entire life, but I'm looking to get into the spikeless game. My only concern is not having enough grip and when they wear down you're just out of luck. I hate buying new spikes for my shoes now because they always fall out, which is one reason why I'm thinking of just going to spikeless.

I don't really ever walk when I play, but I occasionally play in my tennis shoes when it's really dry and it's a very different feeling (in a good way) than my spiked shoes.

These are what I'm currently wearing
https://www.golfdiscount.com/nike-lunar-command-2-boa-golf-shoes-white-black

I'm looking at the adidas tour360 (ultra boosts) just because I love ultra boosts.
TecRecAg
AG
I tried spikeless and never felt comfortable. Maybe it's just mental but the thought of my spikes gripping in to the grass gave me the confidence to swing harder.

I'm wearing Nikes similar to the ones you linked.
AggieEyes
AG
I've never tried spikeless. I don't believe they are as effective IMO.
oldschool87
AG
Thisguy1 said:

This may have been discussed on here before so if so, just direct me that way, but what's everyone's opinion on this?

I've had spikes my entire life, but I'm looking to get into the spikeless game. My only concern is not having enough grip and when they wear down you're just out of luck. I hate buying new spikes for my shoes now because they always fall out, which is one reason why I'm thinking of just going to spikeless.

I don't really ever walk when I play, but I occasionally play in my tennis shoes when it's really dry and it's a very different feeling (in a good way) than my spiked shoes.

These are what I'm currently wearing
https://www.golfdiscount.com/nike-lunar-command-2-boa-golf-shoes-white-black

I'm looking at the adidas tour360 (ultra boosts) just because I love ultra boosts.
Can we define spikes?

Metal spikes like baseball cleats or plastic spider spikes?

Username checks out...
jj9000
AG
Thisguy1
Like the link I posted. The screw in plastic spikes are what I'm referring to as spikes.
AustinCountyAg
the FJ's shown above are for sure the "grippiest" of the spikeless models. Honestly, to me I dont even consider them spikeless. They would be my first suggestion to those wanting to make the switch.

FWIW I wear spikeless exclusively now. Ecco Biomy Hybrids, and Truelinkswear OG's for most rounds. When it is super hot/dry in the summertime and a casual round its Truelinkswear knits, sockless. Hell, I wear the TL Knits as my main shoe in the summertime everywhere I go. So damn breathable and comfortable.
schwabbin
AG
I switched from Adidas spikes to Puma spikeless about a year ago and I can't tell much difference. Really only when swinging driver 110% which I shouldn't be doing anyways. However, I walk 75% of the time and the Pumas are way more comfortable walking.
07fta07
AG
I wear spikeless unless it's wet. I held off for a long time getting spikeless because I thought I would slip a lot. I don't at all. They're way more comfortable and I like the feeling of being more flat footed in the spikeless.
Ag_07
AG
Spikeless here and I think the feel is way better and more comfortable.

I feel like with spike shoes I'm standing on nails and with the spikeless I'm actually on the ground.

Feeling my feet on the ground seems to help me relax more.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not all "spikeless" are the same. I've found that some grip just as well as spiked and that's what I prefer to go with in any conditions because I do think they are more comfortable and more connected to the ground. So I just make sure to go with something that's got a bit more aggressive pattern.
Duckhook
AG
I have both spiked and spikeless. I really don't notice a difference in how it affects me.
El_Guero512
TecRecAg said:

I tried spikeless and never felt comfortable. Maybe it's just mental but the thought of my spikes gripping in to the grass gave me the confidence to swing harder.

I'm wearing Nikes similar to the ones you linked.
This right here, for me its a mental thing too. I have some nikes like that look just like those you linked.
The Grinder (99)
AG
i have three pair of spikeless. my ecco and addidas have a lot of grip. my footjoy have fairly smooth, square shaped bumps that are about 1/2 to 3/4 a cm in size i'd guess.

those footjoys will slip a little when wet (at all rainy or even early morning dew) so I only wear them when its completely dry. they grip dry grass well.

i've never felt a slip in any spikless shoe except those FJ and have used spikeless for 25 years or so.

I do not like the feel of the plastic spike. felts sort of springy or spongy.

I played back in the day as a junior golfer with metal spikes. when the plastic spikes came out that was the only option. I was glad to see the evolution come to the shoes with full grip.

To be honest, I didn't know "spikes" were still a thing much at all. The grip on most spikeless shoes seems very comprehensive.

I now prefer shoes that look more like casual shoes and not the traditional golf shoe look. I just wear them to the course and have even been guilty of wearing them after a round to make quick errands
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

FWIW I wear spikeless exclusively now. Ecco Biomy Hybrids, and Truelinkswear OG's for most rounds. When it is super hot/dry in the summertime and a casual round its Truelinkswear knits, sockless. Hell, I wear the TL Knits as my main shoe in the summertime everywhere I go. So damn breathable and comfortable.
Eccos on my feet also, I walk about 85% of the time and they feel the best while on the course. I'm older so I never really overswing and slip out of them, but damn comfortable for walking.
zgolfz85
AG
I have spikes and spikeless and play equally terrible in either pair
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.