Spieth Has Butch Harmon Look at Swing

2,369 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CoppellAg93
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/report-jordan-spieth-visits-butch-harmon-swing-help
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
DannyDuberstein
AG
He needs someone to sedate the hamster that is running 90 miles an hour on the wheel in his head. I think he took some great natural talent and in all phases of his game, he's overanalyzed and overtinkered with what made him a great player
TecRecAg
AG
He's got it in him but I just don't know if he'll ever get it back. Crazy to think he might have peaked in his early 20s.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's crazy what a roller coaster all of his strokes gained stats have been the past 5 years. When he was winning, he was dominant and top 10-20 in all 3 key metrics, not a surprise. Since then, all 3 have bobbed up and down. In 2018, he struck the ball well but started putting like crap. Then in 2019, his putting was good but his ball striking went to ***** Then in 2020 they all went to **** together and 2021 is even worse
Ag_07
AG
Needs to get divorced.

He hit the slide as soon as he tied the knot.
EKUAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

Needs to get divorced.

He hit the slide as soon as he tied the knot.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Tried to get longer, which is a mistake. Then his approach shots suffered which put more pressure on his putting. Viscous cycle he's fallen in to. Guy has 3 majors and 12 wins on tour and tons of talent. No reason he can't regain it.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
He was sliding before he got married and his wife was his gf during his great run. She's not the problem. It's between his ears.
ORAggieFan
His play at his peak was just not sustainable for the player he is. To do what he did was off the charts insane. He can be better than he is now, but I doubt he's ever again a top 5 player. Just doesn't have the skills those top players do, especially with length.
WhoopN06
98Ag99Grad said:

Tried to get longer, which is a mistake. Then his approach shots suffered which put more pressure on his putting. Viscous cycle he's fallen in to. Guy has 3 majors and 12 wins on tour and tons of talent. No reason he can't regain it.

Do you have anything that backs up this claim of him trying to add distance? I follow golf pretty closely and this is the first I've heard this.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Is it possible that after he rinsed two balls in Rae's Creek in 2016 that it just got in his head?

I'm old enough to remember Steve Blass. In 1971 he pitched two complete game World Series wins, in '72 he finished second in the Cy Young voting, and then couldn't throw a strike to save his ass in '73 and was out of baseball after 1974.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Here you go:

Duval Advice

Chamblee's Take

Heard it mentioned many times. Was looking for an extra 5-10 yards and things have gone south since.
WhoopN06
Interesting. Jordan mentioned none of that in his extremely in depth interview with NLU in 2019. He went into depth on his swing issues.

Also assuming that Brandal and DDs information is accurate 5-10 yards isn't what I would consider "chasing" distance. I think that is like 2 mph of club head speed.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Doesn't take much to F everything up. The swing is so much timing, rhythm, etc. Start messing with one part, another thing changes and so on. I found the Chamblee analysis interesting about the knee. Guys a blowhard but knows the golf swing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He drove the ball further and with the same accuracy on 2018 as when he was winning majors. And he's not driving it farther now than he did in 2018. His approach game was solid too. It was his putting that went to crap then. They are oversimplifying this. He's been fidgeting with a lot of the parts of his game, and it actually started with his putter years ago after he cooled a bit from being all-world.
WhoopN06
So Speith "chased distance" without actually adding any distance?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I love Duval; we are similar in age and I was a fan before he won his first tournament. But at the same time, I don't find him an expert at identifying what a guy who has lost his game needs to do to re-find it. For obvious reasons.
jja79
AG
No one knows better than him. I really enjoy listening to guys who lost it talking about it honestly.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think Chamblee's initial comments were more on point. Spieth's mindset is constantly attacking and repairing when it comes to developing his game. That personality even stands out during a round - It's clear his mind goes 90mph thinking about a million things. He was sort of Bryson before Bryson as far as the on course hamster wheel. Now is distance chasing one of those things? Probably. My point is that it goes way beyond that and that's not the root cause. I think he got into his own head on a lot of things, with distance being just one of them.

As that Duval article points out, he won won 5 times in 2 years including a major after he improved his distance. His putting went first, then his long game followed
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've never seen Spieth hit a bad shot that was his fault. He's always blaming something other than himself. He's a mental midget.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

I've never seen Spieth hit a bad shot that was his fault. He's always blaming something other than himself. He's a mental midget.
I have. His self deprecating commentary can be pretty amusing.

"Ohhh, nice shot, Jordan...way to take a minute."
EKUAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I think Chamblee's initial comments were more on point. Spieth's mindset is constantly attacking and repairing when it comes to developing his game. That personality even stands out during a round - It's clear his mind goes 90mph thinking about a million things. He was sort of Bryson before Bryson as far as the on course hamster wheel. Now is distance chasing one of those things? Probably. My point is that it goes way beyond that and that's not the root cause. I think he got into his own head on a lot of things, with distance being just one of them.

As that Duval article points out, he won won 5 times in 2 years including a major after he improved his distance. His putting went first, then his long game followed

https://golf.com/instruction/butch-harmon-fires-back-at-brandel-chamblee/
DannyDuberstein
AG
And I agree with Butch. I think Chamblee and Duval are both completely offbase with the distance theory. It's much more complex, to Butch's point. The one part where I agree with Chamblee is about Spieth's mindset on constantly attacking/repairing. I think that has led to constant tinkering and a series of issues that aren't simple to fix now with "well dont chase distance"
SmackDaddy
AG
Jordan's success was driven by an incredible short game and one of the all time great "heaters" in 10-20 foot putting ever known to man. He always banged the ball around the course but when he missed greens he got up and down like a magician. What was the stat that one year, in 10-20 foot putts he was something like 3x better than the PGA tour average? He's still an incredible chipper of the ball but his putting will never return to that level.

He doesn't have talent to compete with DJ, JT, BK, Rahm, Morikawa, Bryson, Rory, etc. The chances he's ever ranked in the top 5 in the world again are extremely long.

PS: That house he bought from Mahan must be haunted.
CoppellAg93
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

Marauder Blue 6 said:

I have. His self deprecating commentary can be pretty amusing.

"Ohhh, nice shot, Jordan...way to take a minute."
That's why he might be my favorite player - his comments remind me a lot of me on the course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.