60+ Degree Wedges

2,407 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
WhoopN06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any experience using 60+ degree wedges? Pros / Cons. Thoughts on including one in your bag.
TexAgs1992
Have a 60 degree wedge in my bag. I use it about 60% of the time I'm within 30 yards of the green. I get lots of loft but distance can be an issue if you are in thick rough left, right or behind the green. I like it but need to learn how to use it more effectively.
Duckhook
AG
When I carried one all it did was get me in trouble. Just too much loft for me. I'm able to do what I need on 99% of my shots with a 56.
AggieDruggist89
AG
With wedges, you need to know how to use the bounce. Certainly with a 60+ LW, high bounce of 12+ degrees can be disastrous off tight lies but wonderful out of sand and rough. But with low bounce, club will dig.

You want to hit a high lofted flop shot, bounce and the type of grind is just as important as the loft.

I once carried a Tom Watson Ram 64 degree wedge in my youth. That thing did nothing more than cause high scores.

Learn to use the bounce. Simply put, focus on hitting the ground blow the ball with the bounce rather than hitting the ball with the club face.
khaos288
AG
64 hi toe here

I use it around greens for flops, and pitches that I need to roll as little as possible.

No full shots though, and I like it a lot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've got a Cleveland 588 in 64 that goes in and out of my bag. I've always had quite a bit of success with it, but as mentioned above, absolutely nothing full swing. But it's great for steep faced bunkers or flopping over bunkers. Whether I put it in the bag or not tends to depend on the course. I get myself in less trouble with it vs trying to really open the face on a lower lofted wedge. Instead of trying to get cute, I just approach it normally and let the loft do the work
Thisguy1
I play 46, 52, 58, and keep a 60 K grind in the bag specifically for bunker shots or when I need to get it up really quick over a tree or something.
WhoopN06
I carry 46,52,58 at the moment. I purchased a 64 PM Grind. I plan to include it in my bag situationally depending on how I like it.

My plan is to mostly use it around the greens but am curious to see how it plays out of the fairway.

For those that have a 60+ why don't you hit it from the fairway?
khaos288
AG
WhoopN06 said:

I carry 46,52,58 at the moment. I purchased a 64 PM Grind. I plan to include it in my bag situationally depending on how I like it.

My plan is to mostly use it around the greens but am curious to see how it plays out of the fairway.

I hit up to 70 yards out with it. That's my max "pitch" distance with it. I have a nice 80 yard pitch with my gap wedge and then use that going farther out up to a full shot gap wedge.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Will use the 60 in fairway depending on the pin location. If it's tucked back in corner with a slope in front, I'll typically use 60 to carry further and have more check. If it's more flat, it depends on feel whether I want to use something with more skip vs check. Typically, I'll just look to see where is my best miss ( do I want to be short or long).
DannyDuberstein
AG
WhoopN06 said:

From a fuller swing, I think the loft and therefore distance end up much more variable depending on the lie. And by lie, I mean even minimal variations found within the fairway. Also, I can get my lower lofted wedges to spin and check up easily from the fairway.
Thisguy1
I used to but I couldn't consistently hit it 100yds, so I went to the 58 and I can just put a smooth swing on it to get it to 100. 52 is about 125, 46 is around 135-140.
Just an Ag
AG
I carry 52 and 56 all the time, but I go back and forth between my 60 and 64 degree. Hitting the 64 degree is just like any other club. You practice and practice until you know how the ball reacts off the club. Once you know how the ball reacts off the club then it is just a matter of committing to the shot and striking the ball, just like any other club. I find the 64 is very helpful from the sand, and when you need a soft landing chip. The 60 is a little more versatile, but you can still hit all the required chips, and it gives a little more range from the fairway. If I had to choose one over the other forever, I'd go with the 60.
WhoopN06
Do you also use it out of green side bunkers? I guess that's most what I'm looking for 75-80 yards full and in, short side shots around the green, and greenside bunkers that require spin/height.
WhoopN06
So on fuller shots you find it less forgiving? What bounce is your 64?
khaos288
AG
I'm insane...58-10 for most bunker shots. 64 only for the floppiest short shots out of the bunker.

So my wedges are 51-58-64. It works because I love the 51 for tons of different pitches, and love hitting creative stuff with the 64 near the green. 58 and high bounce works great for mid range sand.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mine has 8 degrees of bounce. As far as forgiveness is concerned, I'd say I do not find it hard to strike cleanly. But with that amount of loft, I do find more variation in the distance it will go depending on the turf conditions if I try to put a full swing on it - tighter/firmer tends to deloft a bit while more softer/damp/fluffier will tend to retain max loft. Plus, again, with more distance, I just dont see that need because once I start getting farther from the green, hitting lower lofted wedges at good height with high immediate check-up spin is easier. Like khoas, the 64 is really purely a greenside problem solver for me
aggiegolfer03
AG
I use an ancient Nike Forged 60, but have used a 588 64* in the past.

Other than when you miss a full shot with the 64* I didn't find it hurt me, and helped on courses where the course is flat and all the greens are elevated (like Pecan Lakes in Navasota where I was playing at the time).
93MarineHorn
I carry a Titleist 60 degree and use it only around the green, maybe out to 40 yards max. Like others have said, the variation in distance is too much of a confidence killer for me to use it from further out. My 52 or 56 is much more consistent, especially if it's windy. Also, I always play to have the ball land and roll out a bit whenever possible because that seems to minimize damage from the misses.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I used to but I couldn't consistently hit it 100yds, so I went to the 58 and I can just put a smooth swing on it to get it to 100. 52 is about 125, 46 is around 135-140.

I carry a PW, 52 and 58, and those are pretty much my distances as well. But I feel like I'm always right in between my 52 and 58 on a ton of approach shots each round. So I'm thinking about switching to PW, 50, 54, 58, or PW, 52, 56, 60. The latter combo seems to make more sense.

I've never had a 60 before, so I'm not sure if I'd like it or not. But I think the change would be beneficial for me. Plus, I usually just carry a 3 wood and no hybrid so I have an extra club to play with. I feel like the extra wedge will help me more than adding a 5 wood.
aggiegolfer03
AG
not the most conventional way to do it, but I find there's always a narrow gap in every iron set i play somewhere in the longer irons. So I just take that club out to add an extra wedge.

It's usually a 5 or a 6 iron.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
My philosophy..a 60' wedge is a slightly open 56. The amount of bounce is more critical than stated loft.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
How many clubs y'all carrying
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Run with a 50-54 and 58
58 is the callaway pm grind. Love that thing out of bunkers.
WhoopN06
I go 46-52-58-64 at the bottom of the bag. 14 total clubs
DannyDuberstein
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

How many clubs y'all carrying

If you count my 11 wood, my two-way chipper, and 2 extra putters, about 19.

Kidding. 14 clubs. 4 are wedges, top of the bag is Driver, 3W, 3H.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I carry 15 in fun games
3 wedges
Driver 3 wood and 2 iron

Cash or tourneys I usually take out my 3 or 4 iron depending on par three tees
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.