Kyle Berkshire, Long Drive Champ - PGA?

3,592 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FTAco07
EKUAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently with the Rona issues pretty much shutting down long drive he is looking to work his way up to play the PGA Tour.

Background: He was a college golfer (UNT) before going long drive. Has become friends with DeChambeau. Going to start with mini-tours then go from there.

A bit different from Jamie Sadlowski who tried this as Sadlowski's primary sport was hockey.

Thoughts? I will be interested to see how it goes. His YouTube site is him playing golf as opposed to long drive stuff.
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
aggiebonzo
AG
Drives for show, putts for dough...
E
AG
He plays at a +2 so anything is possible with a couple years of dedication to short game and strategy improvements. I've been following him for a few months and is fun to watch. His putting is pretty bad for a +2 and has a tendency of just trying to blast everything he hits instead of placing the ball in more efficient spots. If he can tighten all of that up, would be fun to watch on one of the tours!
Obi Wan Ginobili
He's going to get some sponsor exemptions but he'll never be a regular tour player.

Check out his YouTube/Instagram. He's got a horrible putting stroke.

His length is an absurd weapon, and if he is hitting fairways at an average clip, he could go low now and then, but he doesn't have the short game to compete.
jja79
AG
He can't even beat the GM Golf guy on YouTube. I've watched a few videos but I can't see it. Bryson is intrigued to learn more about distance I'd bet. If I was one of the guys with limited starts on Tour I'd be pissed if he gets any.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Average index on the PGA tour is about +5.5 playing tour events.

+2 is great for weekend guys and will win some matches. But that's about it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
If I had his distance playing my yardage, 6400-6700 yards, I'd be better than +2.
Deluxe
AG
Kyle is a great social media follow and it's fun AF to watch him hit the ball. The video where Bryson is watching in awe as he ropes 300 yard 8 irons is classic.

Kyle has a great future in the game and alot of avenues down which he could take his talent. Playing on the PGA Tour is probably not one of those avenues. But I give anyone who wants to chase the dream props, assuming they have the resources to do it.
ORAggieFan
aggiebonzo said:

Got to love the old myths that continue to get recycled.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I think I saw a video that said he played to a plus 5 while in college before getting into long drive.
ORAggieFan
And to prove my point here are the putting leaders for the 2020 season. DJ is 48th. JT is 100 something.
aggiebonzo
AG
ORAggieFan said:

aggiebonzo said:

Dechambeau made 91% of his putts inside 10ft this past year
Thisguy1
AggieDruggist89 said:

If I had his distance playing my yardage, 6400-6700 yards, I'd be better than +2.

I will continue to bang the drum that we need a match between you and C Roc to find our true TexAgs champion.
ORAggieFan
aggiebonzo said:

ORAggieFan said:

aggiebonzo said:

Dechambeau made 91% of his putts inside 10ft this past year

And this proves nothing. Go compare strokes gained tee to green leaders to strokes gained putting leaders to the money list. There's a reason JT, DJ, Rahm, etc win consistently and it's not their putting.
jja79
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I think I saw a video that said he played to a plus 5 while in college before getting into long drive.
He was at North Texas for one year and didn't play in any tournaments. You would think a coach would play a +5.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Not questioning it just saying that's what he said on a video, let me see if I can find it
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Plus 4 sorry one off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/can-kyle-berkshire-world-long-drive-champ-make-it-to-pga-tour/amp

So how good of an actual golfer is Berkshire? He says he's back to his peak form of being a plus-four handicap, but the goal is to get to at least a plus-six before truly testing his game in a pro event.
ORAggieFan
I laughed hard in the recent Mickelsom match where they said he was a +5. Seemed way off for a pro, even his age.
Obi Wan Ginobili
He's not good enough for the pro tour. Might be able to hang around in korn but I doubt it.

It takes more than a year to get the kind of short game necessary to turn his tee ball bombs into birdies.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Thisguy1 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I will continue to bang the drum that we need a match between you and C Roc to find our true TexAgs champion.

No idea what C ROC is.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/pro-golfer-handicap-index-score/amp/

Doesn't show lefty but I'm assuming +5 is close
jja79
AG
If the average tour player is +5.4 I'm not buying this guy is +5.

I've watched him on Youtube playing against Garret Clark and Micah Morris who are pretty good club players. Other than length his scores seem to be competitive with them.
ORAggieFan
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/instruction/pro-golfer-handicap-index-score/amp/

Doesn't show lefty but I'm assuming +5 is close

But that is using the regular ratings. These courses play nothing like the ratings on the scorecard for their tourneys.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
This is true and the article states that.
FTAco07
AG
This is really interesting, thanks for posting. I would have guessed all the top tier guys (top 20?) would have averaged closer to +8 than +6, but I bet if they played those courses in "normal" conditions that would be closer to true.

I have always been fascinated by the question of what these guys would shoot at your local muni course. On one hand they would be playing a 6,800 - 7,000 yard par 72 and their length would destroy it, but on the other hand they would have to deal with slow and bumpy greens, bad bunkers, and hard pan lies.

Also interesting to see our own Bronson Burgoon with the 19th best handicap on tour over a 4 year period.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Exactly, playing a tour stop fairways week of the tourney is like hitting off a mat at the range. Sure the greens are faster but they are perfect smooth.

Some tracks I think would play easier, some just impossible no matter how you played them.

Only got to play redstone and the woodlands tpc week of the tourneys and always played to or better than my handicap. The greens I'm sure weren't quite tourney speed but they weren't exactly slow.
LHIOB
AG
Webb Simpson said on No Laying Up that his caddy keeps his index for when he goes on his annual guys golf trip. Hes playing to a +8.
FTAco07
AG
Agreed. Any time I play a nice difficult course with "soft" fairways and fast and true greens I shoot better than my course adjusted index.

I'm a 12 index and last time I played a really nice course I shot 83 with a 145 slope from my tees. I had confidence in every approach shot/lie and puts were just pouring in (relative to my normal 12 handicap game).

ORAggieFan
I've played Torrey in regular times and the last day before it closes for the Farmers. It's absolutely ridiculous to say it's easier for these tourneys. Yes, I like perfect fairways and greens, but you're not going to be better on these courses the pros are playing compared to regular conditions.
FTAco07
AG
No one is saying e same course is easier in tournament conditions (other than the first year they played the Byron Nelson at Trinity Forest, that was absolutely an easier course than the members play).

I am just saying I think the much worse than tour conditions on your local muni would frustrate pros and cost them a few shots more than if that same muni course was in tour condition
AggieDruggist89
AG
There's golf and there's tournament golf. These are two different situations and games.

Be it my big tournament is playing in men's club championships.. And shaking and I have no idea what it's like to play on tour but I have to think to play a PGA tournament course under tournament pressure would easily add 5 + strokes in addition to the extreme increase in slope and course ratings. So with my measly 2 to 3 index, I would be lucky to break 85. Now on LPGA set up, I may be able to break 80. Maybe. Depends on who I get paired up with.
Matsui
AG
Agreed!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I remember the first league tournament I entered into a handful of years ago. I was not used to the shakes I got while putting on the first green! Different feeling entirely.
ORAggieFan
FTAco07 said:

No one is saying e same course is easier in tournament conditions (other than the first year they played the Byron Nelson at Trinity Forest, that was absolutely an easier course than the members play).

I am just saying I think the much worse than tour conditions on your local muni would frustrate pros and cost them a few shots more than if that same muni course was in tour condition

Your second paragraph contradicts your first. Frustrate, sure. Cost them strokes versus tournament conditions? Not a chance. And it's not like they never play regular courses. Just last NY Lefty played a course sho crappy here I refuse to play it. But, it's where he learned and he went out with his dad. I've seen plenty playing Torrey in non perfect conditions as well.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I do agree tournament gold is so much different. That first hole is the worst from the tee shot to putting, always seems to calm down by hole 2 but that whole first of 18 is harder than any hole you have ever played. A bogey or par is celebrated.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.