Balls

6,062 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiegolfer03
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In addition to more lessons, what balls would you suggest for a 15-18, long off the tee, high wedge and iron shots with some back spin, a little erratic with control,I love the feel of the ProV1s and Prov1x but need a cheaper ball to mix in. I am playing 2x a week right now and lose or damage 1-3 a round.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Stay awa from anything with an S or x on the end. Those tend to spin more and won't really help you straighten anything out. And they are soft enough around the greens.
I've been trying out the bridgestones and I like them, not exactly much cheaper tho
_lefraud_
AG
Srixon Z star. They don't feel as soft as a ProV1, but the performance is relatively similar.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If you are looking for more value, overall good performance, and something that spins well but won't spin like crazy, I think the Srixon Q star is a really good option (q star tour for 3 piece, q star for 2).
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Titleist Tru Feel for $22 dozen. Great feel, distance, and surprisingly pretty good on spin.
Ag_07
AG
Bridgestone e6

Not crazy spin, long off the tee, and nice feel

$22/dzn
texpert68
AG
Can't go wrong with lost golf balls.com too. Picked up several dozen chrome soft for about $23/dozen during thanksgiving week.
FincAggie06
AG
Snell...$28/dozen
AledoAg86
AG
texpert68 said:

Can't go wrong with lost golf balls.com too. Picked up several dozen chrome soft for about $23/dozen during thanksgiving week.
Agree 100%. Plus, you are supporting a fellow Ag.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Golfballs.com,

There's a way to generate $20 coupon. Legally. Then I buy their previous year Chrome Soft or Srixon XV for $29 on sale. Then I pay $6 shipping and spend $15 per dozen. Been doing it for 2 years
jja79
AG
And that's delivered to your front door.
NColoradoAG
FincAggie06 said:

Snell...$28/dozen

Yep. End of thread.
AgEngr16
AG
+1 for Snell.

Used to play the V1's but switched to the MTB-X because I wanted a firmer feel and the V1X balloons on my cause it spins too much.
WP69
AG
NColoradoAG said:

FincAggie06 said:

Snell...$28/dozen

Yep. End of thread.
Both mygolfspy and txg tour experience had positive reviews on the Snell ball.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Vice bruh
G Martin 87
AG
I live on a golf course. I've found and tried just about everything, including more ProV1s and TP5s than I can use, so I don't really need to buy balls. The only two current balls that I've spent my own money on this past year are Titleist TruFeels and Snell MTB Black. Those work better for me than anything else. The matte red TruFeels are great for twilight rounds, too.
AggieDruggist89
AG
So, do balls make difference to your scoring or changed your handicap?
G Martin 87
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

So, do balls make difference to your scoring or changed your handicap?
Titleist will tell you that HH save an average of 4 strokes per 9 holes playing a ProV1 over a Velocity. That's not been my experience; I find it much easier to keep some balls in play vs others. e6, MTB Black, TruFeels are all as close to point and shoot as I can get.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I play more cautiously with expensive balls so that probably helps my handicap

I have been hitting rehits or lost balls but the last few v
Bags haven't been very consistent
AustinCountyAg
Yes balls can impact scoring. Especially around the green. If your expecting a ball to check up, or run out and it does/doesn't it can make for a frustrating day.
booradley
AG
I've been a ProV guy for years.... but recently tried the SNELL and VICE. Both are longer (for me) than the ProV and both seem to spin as much or more around the green.

and cheaper...:-)

jonj101
A number of good suggestions, but I think it would also help if you shared which irons you use.

I say that because when I was in your boat I tried the Srixon Z Star and while I loved the feel of the ball, I was playing Ping G25 game improvement irons and they tore the covers to shreds.

It was frustrating for me because I like a soft feel off the putter face and around the green, but for some balls the cover didn't hold up to full shots.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am playing x-20s and a ping g410 driver
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If I had a more consistent swing, playing the same ball would make a difference for me, but I really don't think it matters a whole lot unless you are a low handicap.

Focus on what works for you around the greens and how it feels off the putter if you are mid pack type of golfer.
schwabbin
AG
10 hcp here. The Kirkland (Costco) balls are a great deal for mid to high handicappers $25 for 2 dozen. Spin very well around the greens and have a soft feel like the Pro V1. Not quite the Pro V1 performance off the tee but you may not see much difference if you're a higher hcp.
G Martin 87
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

If I had a more consistent swing, playing the same ball would make a difference for me, but I really don't think it matters a whole lot unless you are a low handicap.

Focus on what works for you around the greens and how it feels off the putter if you are mid pack type of golfer.
Using the same ball every time has the biggest difference on your short game. Practice putting/chipping with the same ball consistently and you'll become familiar with how that make and model ball reacts around the green. The cover absolutely does change how the ball feels, spins, and reacts. At the very least, either play a surlyn cover OR a urethane cover ball during a round (e.g., don't pick a dirty, found Noodle out of your bag to drop after losing a new ProV1 out of bounds.) If you play premium balls, don't mix in a bunch of cheap balls in your bag, and vice versa.
Ag_07
AG
I may be the minority but I think playing the right ball can be pretty helpful.

If you're a higher HCer you don't want something that's spinning like crazy off the club face.
E
AG
Ag_07 said:

Bridgestone e6

Not crazy spin, long off the tee, and nice feel

$22/dzn

This has been my favorite for those reasons
JYDog90
AG
AledoAg86 said:

texpert68 said:

Agree 100%. Plus, you are supporting a fellow Ag.

Just bought 3 dozen pro-v1. The quality is like new.
Tx_Aggie15
AG
Recently switched from a PROV1x to Vice Pro Soft and I wish I had done it sooner. I highly recommend Vice golf balls.
AgfromHOU
AG
I play the TM Rocketballz from Amazon. It's $35 for 36 golf balls.

Hell, just opened a new box of them for Christmas from my brother in law!
'03ag
I thought the Maxfli Tours we're a good deal at $50 per 2doz.

Dick's/Golf Galaxy exclusive. Had decent results on MGS tests. Liked being able to get them whenever I wanted vs shipped.

Playing them now and like them, but now they've gone to $60/2doz. Less good of a deal. Maybe they'll go back to $50 soon.
Cloud
Z stars, baybay
jelfag06
AG
Big Fan of Snell MTB-X and have also been playing TP5-X Pix
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got a box of prov1x for Christmas, I'll check out the Vice balls on the next batch
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.