Winter golf...

1,520 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've never really indulged much. In past years, I might get out for a round or 2 max between November and March and only on those rare 60 and sunny days. I would hit the range a handful of times as well. This year however, I'm planning to keep playing once a week, as weather permits.

Thoughts on winter golf? Anyone on here play year round (in climates with actual seasons, AZ/CA/FL doesn't count!)? I honestly don't know how many courses typically shut down for winter, but guess I'll see here soon.

Rubble
AG
We play year round in DFW weather permitting
birdman
I play year round in Texas. I love cold weather and love having course to myself. When it's damp and windy as DFW can be, it can be a little sporty.

One of my favorite shots of all time happened on cold January day. I hit a horrible fat approach shot. It bounced a mile in the air off the ice on frozen pond. It trickled to about 10 feet and I sank the birdie putt.
Austintm
Where do you live?
zgolfz85
AG
Tennessee. Not super cold, but tends to be 35-55 most winter days.
AustinCountyAg
I love fall/winter golf. The worse weather the better. For some reason I feel like I'm actually "golfing" when the weather is 55* with a mist rain or the like. The weather golf was intended to be played in
DannyDuberstein
AG
DFW. I love winter golf since it drives down the traffic. There are also many great clothing options these days to layer and stay warm without restricting your swing.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I call it no sweat golf when you don't get a drop of sweat the whole round. Best golf is winter golf.
Austintm
My firm in based in Nashville. I have not played golf there in the winter, but have plenty of colleagues there that have no problem playing year-round. Obviously there will be days, just as in Texas, where it is too cold.
jakal0722
I definitely plan on it this year and I am in Ohio. As long as it's not wet and there isn't snow, I know how to dress warm enough to at least play 9.

I will say the best Topgolf experience I have had was on a snowy day. Hitting a ball into a sky of white is quite enjoyable. And the heaters work tremendously well.
dcrewint
I'm in College Station still. I play year round, but winter isn't much unless the wind is biting.
Hamburger Dan
Even here, in Lubbock, we can play year round golf. We'll have a few days, in which we get some winter weather ( like this week) but it doesn't last long. The winter / off season, is a good time to work on swing changes, upgrade equipment, and improve your game.
jckrjr7
AG
As long as there's no wind I have no problem playing in the 40's. Generally score worse those few months but still enjoy it.

I played up at Whistling Straits at the end of May last year and it was low 40's with howling winds. Gave me an appreciation for our "winter golf" which is usually much nicer days.
CapCityAg89
AG
birdman said:

I play year round in Texas. I love cold weather and love having course to myself. When it's damp and windy as DFW can be, it can be a little sporty.

One of my favorite shots of all time happened on cold January day. I hit a horrible fat approach shot. It bounced a mile in the air off the ice on frozen pond. It trickled to about 10 feet and I sank the birdie putt.

I played here in Tacoma one February - 25 degrees but bright sun so I had to go out. First hole is a short par 4 and I hit a perfect lob wedge that landed right next to the hole - I think it bounced higher than it was originally hit and ended up about 50 yards over the green. I just started laughing. We played the entire rest of the round hitting 100-150 yard chip shots to just run them up on the green.
antman8504
AG
Expect to hit it shorter in the winter. Especially in Texas, cold and windy will cause you to feel like you have lost 30 yards with driver at times
NColoradoAG
Ive played at least 9 holes of golf every month for at least 4 years. Last December got a bit dicey but I got 9 holes in on Christmas eve.

Theres about 8 inches of snow out right now but ive got tee times for Saturday and Sunday.
Yesterday
AG
antman8504 said:

Expect to hit it shorter in the winter. Especially in Texas, cold and windy will cause you to feel like you have lost 30 yards with driver at times

More like 80 yards. We played from the ladies tees on Friday when it was 50* and 20mph winds. The tees are ~5500 yards and 4/5 par 5's were into the north wind. I bogeyed all four into the wind. The ball went nowhere.

If you're asking why the ladies tees it's because maybe twice a year we play wolf hammer with two side bets from the ladies tees. The side bets are if you don't break 80 you owe everyone $25 and if you break 70 everyone owes you $25. Only one guy broke 80 on Friday and the highest handicap is a 6.

And for the record I hate cold weather golf but it's still golf.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.