WITB - Wedge Setup

2,823 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mm98
AggieEyes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How are you guys setup for Wedges?

I play Callaway Apex Irons which I love. I like to think that wedge play is a strength of mine and am wanting to tighten it up even more by perhaps more consistent weight and feel of my wedges:

Currently this is my setup:

Callaway Apex CF19 PW 43
Callaway Apex CF19 AW 48
Callaway JAWS Wedge SW 54 S Grind, Bounce 10
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Lob 60 Bounce 10

I think most tour bags are 50/52; 56 and 60.

I think I would like a very consistent feel among the 50/52, 56 and 60 degree wedges and am considering purchasing 3 new wedges. I really like the Callaway JAWS wedges right now. I know everyone loves the Vokeys too.

How are you guys setup? What are your lofts / bounce configurations?

Thanks.

cakubacak
AG
My PW is 43 degrees and then I have Vokey 48 and 52 F GRIND 10 and 12 bounce and a Vokey 56 M grind 8 bounce, for me creates good gapping with my PW, if I had a redo I may do 50, 54, and 58 with similar grinds and bounces to what I currently have. I've heard good things about the Callaway wedges, but personally it's Vokey then the rest.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Hogan Apex Plus PW - 46 degrees
Cleveland RTX4 - 52 degrees mid bounce
Cleveland RTX4 - 56 degrees mid bounce
powerbelly
AG
PW - Callaway MD2 47 S
GW - Callaway MD2 52 12 S
SW - Callaway MD2 56 14 C
LW - Callaway MD2 60 14 C

I recently tried a set of Vokeys, but prefer the feel of the MD2s
AledoAg86
AG
My set up:

Titleist 710 AP2 PW - 47
Titleist Vokey GW - 52.08
Titleist Vokey SW 56.14
Trinity Ag
S
Vokey SM7 50.12 F
Vokey SM7 52.12 F
Vokey SM7 56.10 S

I used to play 50/54/58

But I've found lower lofts better fit the approach distances I most routinely face and doesn't leave me "stuck" between the 90 yard 54 and the 110 yard 50.

My PW is a relatively tradition 47*
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
PW - 45 p790
AW - 48 Cleveland CG16
GW - 52 Callaway MD Forged
SW/LW - 58 Callaway MD Forged

My gaps are really effed up. I really hate a 95 yard shot right now. As I hit my 58 85 yards and my 52 is 105-110. I'm going to move to 50/54/58 soon I think.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I play Vokeys (13 index so ....... ) but a former tour player that joins us a few times a month just bought 110% into all PXG's. He hit them on a demo day and swears they are better than anything else out there.

I'm not good enough to tell

$300/club? Maybe $350
AG
Vokey SM7 52.8
Vokey SM7 56.10
Vokey SM7 60.12
NColoradoAG
Im playing Apex Forged 19's as well. I have the standard PW & AW (43 & 48). I gamed a 54 degree MD5 SW with the S grind on a demo for a few rounds and really liked it. I ordered some custom MD5's shortly afterwards. C grind is what I went with for our firmer Colorado conditions. 54 on the SW and 58 on the LW.

I have no complaints on them and since I went custom they'll be in the bag for a while. The MD5's also just hit the Callaway pre-owned site.

https://instagr.am/p/CBwl6UQDzFN
07fta07
AG
Srixon Zforged PW at 46
Vokey SM8 at 50/08, 54/10, 58/08
G Martin 87
AG
Cobra Baffler XL PW 43.5
Cobra Baffler XL GW 48.5
Cleveland CBX 54/12
Cleveland CBX 58/10
Golf1
AG
718 AP2 PW at 46
SM7 Vokey 52 & 58

I'm curious on anyone with PW set under 45 if you bent it yourself or if you're playing a Taylormade? Buddy of mine has M2 i believe with the PW set at 43.
booradley
AG
In 5 more years, the standard PW loft will be 40 degrees.

Amazing how lofts get stronger and stronger

But yet we think we are hitting irons longer......
FTAco07
AG
booradley said:

In 5 more years, the standard PW loft will be 40 degrees.

Amazing how lofts get stronger and stronger

But yet we think we are hitting irons longer......
As long as the club design and tech keeps improving and allowing for high enough ball flight I couldn't care less about stronger lofts.
AledoAg86
AG
Golf1 said:

718 AP2 PW at 46
SM7 Vokey 52 & 58

I'm curious on anyone with PW set under 45 if you bent it yourself or if you're playing a Taylormade? Buddy of mine has M2 i believe with the PW set at 43.
If I have my Titleist 716 MB-T irons in the bag (PW has 45 degrees of loft), then I change my wedges to the following configuration:

Vokey SM6 GW 50.08 F
Vokey SM6 SW 54.10 S
Vokey SM6 LW 58.10 S

I don't care so much for the 5 degrees of gap, but I make it work.
G-Town Cracker
AG
I'm still playing with Scratch wedges! Way past time to upgrade. I really like the look of the Callaway wedges as I was a Cleveland guy in my youth.
Trinity Ag
S
Golf1 said:

718 AP2 PW at 46
SM7 Vokey 52 & 58

I play with a 43 PW, but I call it a 9 iron.
G Martin 87
AG
I have a set of Golfsmith Counterpoint irons from around 1993. The 9i is 44*, and the PW is 48.5*.
limup1215
AG
Key is knowing what loft your 9 iron is and what max loft wedge you can hit and then gap between the two.
For example if your 9 iron is 40 degrees and you're comfortable hitting a 60 degree wedge then you would look at adding 45, 50, 55, and 60 give or take a degree to gap consistently.
C ROC N
SM8 52 degree 08 F bounce in mint condition. Only played 2 rounds with it. Just did not beat out my older Vokey 52 degree wedge. Bought at D&J in Bryan. Excellent condition!! $125 Cash PM me if interested or reply
zgolfz85
AG
Hogan vintage sand wedge 56
Cleveland rtx4 58
Cleveland rtx3 52

Shelton98
AG
'77 Hogan Apex Equalizer - 50
TM RAC - 52.08
TM RAC - 56.14
mm98
AG
limup1215 said:

Key is knowing what loft your 9 iron is and what max loft wedge you can hit and then gap between the two.
For example if your 9 iron is 40 degrees and you're comfortable hitting a 60 degree wedge then you would look at adding 45, 50, 55, and 60 give or take a degree to gap consistently.

Kinda my approach.

9 - LW for me goes 40/45/50/54/58
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.