To get fitted or not?

1,480 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Trinity Ag
ph1l
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick question for y'all.

I am new to golf (3 months/12 rounds in) and currently taking lessons about once a month. While I am still shooting between 100-110 each round, I have improved quite a bit given I couldn't even get the ball off the ground in my first lesson.

Now that I am playing and talking to my swing coach and friends about golf, I keep getting mixed advice on whether or not to get fitted for clubs. My swing coach and some of my "golf friends" are advocates of getting fit early. Others think I should wait until I get more rounds under my belt and have a better feel for my game. It is worth noting that while I trust my swing coach, he wants to fit me for the clubs for a fee.

Added context: for a cheap price, I bought a set of used Titleist AP1 irons and a Ping 3 wood to get started. I have not yet added a driver to my bag. My swing coach has told me that for irons I need 1/2-1 inch longer clubs and a different lie angle (current lie angle of 4-5, says I need to be closer to 1).

What are your thoughts? I am committed to golf and view money put into golf as well spent. At the same time, I don't want to spend unnecessarily.

Thanks everyone.
khaos288
AG
If you don't want to spend unnecessarily, break 90 and then get fit.

If you can get extensions, grips, and lie adjustments cheap, that's definitely worth it for now.
Ag_07
AG
Honestly I would wait a bit until your swing is pretty consistent and locked in. No use in getting fitted if your swing is still changing.

Maybe talk it over with who you're getting lessons from. If he thinks your swing is pretty locked in and it's just implementing a few tweaks then go for it but if you're still working on getting the muscle memory of a consistent swing down I'd wait.
G Martin 87
AG
I would at least get fit for length and lie. Working on developing a consistent swing with clubs that aren't right for your body shape seems like it would be counterproductive.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As mentioned, take what you have and get them adjusted for now. That lie angle difference is pretty extreme and will definitely impact how they play, so I'd prioritize that for sure. I don't think the 1/2" length is that big of a deal, but it can be done easy too
jja79
AG
Get fitted.
Trinity Ag
S
How tall are you?

Unless you are 6'2"+ or have very short arms, standard length is going to be ok. And you can get the lie angle bent for a very small fee..

I would worry about getting fit when you are breaking 90, or if your physical size makes the standard club dimensions a major hindrance to progress.

If you bought some used clubs that are 1" under standard and have Senior shafts, then maybe some new sticks are in order.
ph1l
AG
Thanks everybody. I am leaning towards getting fitted just to see how far off my clubs are from what I need and whether extending/bending clubs can handle it.

For the record, a couple shops yesterday told me that bending a club 3 degrees or more is probably too much.
Sueshade10
AG
+1

I would recommend waiting until you have a consistent swing. If you get fitted before then, any even slight change in address, lie, or angle of approach will make the fitting useless. Usually when golfers break 90 they have a pretty consistent swing so I would agree with this benchmark.
YourFavAggie
AG
Should probably just focus on drinking more Rocky Mountain River Waters on the course.
Eyes of texas Crying
ph1l
AG
Rocky Mountain Koolaids*
jja79
AG
If he's playing the wrong equipment won't his consistent swing need to be changed once he's fitted?
Trinity Ag
S
jja79 said:

If he's playing the wrong equipment won't his consistent swing need to be changed once he's fitted?
It depends on how "wrong" it is.

A person within the general range of average (5'9-6"1") is going to have minor variations based on club length and lie -- consider that every golfer already has to adjust their swing from a 35.5" Wedge to a 38" 5i to a 45" Driver. Bending a lie angle is pretty simple, and doesn't require a full fitting.

Fitting for most people maximizes performance based on their consistent tempo, swing speed, and angle of attack.

As most beginning golfers progress from shooting 110 to 90:
- tempo smooths
- swing speeds increase
- attack angles increase from "picking" to taking divots
- swing path moves from outside/in, slice to more neutral

The clubs you got fit for a 110 swing will be holding you back from getting to 80 more than a set of "off the rack" standard L/L clubs will hinder you getting from 110 to 90.

Until 90, money is better spent on lessons and range time than equipment, IMO.

This assumes you are relatively young and reasonably fit, and are committed to developing a good game.

If you are 65, have been playing for years, and make the best swing your body allows -- then get fit and get the most out of what you can do.

Sueshade10
AG
Looks like TrinityAg and I are on the same page
AggieEyes
AG
Get better then get fitted. When you start hitting powerful shots with a more fundamentally sound golf swing - then go get fitted.
Ag_07
AG
Is it crazy to think that if OP we're to show up and say 'Hey guys I'm 3 months and 12 rounds into golf but look at the fitted the clubs I shelled out for' he would be ridiculed to no end.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. I mean the basic question is "What are you fitting because you don't have anything to fit yet?"

Again, get lie angles in the right ballpark, get length in the right ballpark, make sure the shaft flex isn't crazy, and that is all you need. But that can be done with a ton of used/hand-me-down sets and less than $50-100 in adjustment cost.

A 3-4 degree difference in lie angle is fairly alarming, but most can be bent 2-3 which would get him close enough.
ph1l
AG
Thanks everyone. Helps a lot. For the record, I'm 30 y/o and 6'2" with a pretty high swing speed. Thankfully, I already have stiff shafts.

Sounds like the route to take is have lie angle adjusted down as much as possible and possibly add some length to the club. Only thing that concerns me is a shop here in Dallas told me Titleist 710 AP1s are a difficult club to bend (for whatever reason). My current plan is to go the bending/extensions route
Trinity Ag
S
ph1l said:

Thanks everyone. Helps a lot. For the record, I'm 30 y/o and 6'2" with a pretty high swing speed. Thankfully, I already have stiff shafts.

Sounds like the route to take is have lie angle adjusted down as much as possible and possibly add some length to the club. Only thing that concerns me is a shop here in Dallas told me Titleist 710 AP1s are a difficult club to bend (for whatever reason). My current plan is to go the bending/extensions route
When you say "current lie angle of 4-5" on your irons, assume that means they are 2* flat, and you need 2* upright, or something like that.

If that is the case, they have already been bent one direction -- and 2* is about as far as clubs normally get bent -- so you would need them bent back to standard and then 2* upright. Multi-metal composition and cast irons are tougher to bend than forged.

The good thing with the AP1s is they are still pretty desirable irons -- even the 710.

+.5" and 2* upright is a pretty common setup, and with a small amount of effort on ebay you could buy some AP1s or similar model that are a better "static" fit, and then resell your current ones.

That might be cheaper -- or the same -- as bending, adding 1" extensions, and regripping -- which will likely cost you ~$150 for a set.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.