Consistency/Blow Up Holes Advice Needed

3,481 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Baby Billy
zgolfz85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been shaving strokes lately by hitting my 7 and 8 iron a lot more for chip and run/bump and run shots instead of higher difficulty lobs on the fairway just shy of the green or around the greens. Sure, I can get that lob within a gimme if I hit it just right, which is a 1in 4 type odds, or I can get within an easy 2 putt 90% of the time with a bump and run.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I bump and run all day long. I only try and get some loft if I absolutely have to.
zgolfz85
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

I bump and run all day long. I only try and get some loft if I absolutely have to.
don't know why I held off for so long. I think I honestly just forgot it was an option or just had more fun hitting lob shots, even with less than stellar results (and I'm not a bad chipper). it's just not that effective for so many of the lies I find myself with to try and loft one in and stop it on a dime.
ddub96
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Keep it in play off the teebox. Don't take 2 chips. IMO hero golf isn't trying a crazy recovery on an approach. It's more commonly getting too cute in trying to save par with your chipping and turning what should be at worst bogey into double (or triple/quad if you already screwed up getting off the tee). Get it on the green

I think this really nails it - tee ball and serviceable chipping. Only thing I would add is avoiding 3 putts. Hand in hand with that is getting really good inside 5-6 feet. Even pros don't make a ton from 15+ feet but they rarely 3 putt and rarely miss close ones.
1208HawkTree
AG
Make it a point to limit yourself to no more than one mistake per hole. Hit a bad tee shot? Don't make another mistake by trying a stupid/risky recovery in an attempt to get the shot back.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
You had a good number of bladed approach shots. I'd say at least 5 or more strokes.
Baby Billy
AG
You topped 4 tee shots with the 5 wood. That's at least 4 shots, probably 6-8.

That's under 90 right there by just hitting something off the tee that you won't top.

You can hit an iron or driver, both of those are hard to top. Or just tee it higher with the 5-wood. Those are easy fixes to a more complex swing issue.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.