Consistency/Blow Up Holes Advice Needed

3,505 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Baby Billy
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any tips for reducing the double and triple bogeys from your card? I generally make 4-8 pars a round. A birdie every 2-3 rounds played. Yet even on the days when I make 8 pars I still shoot upper 80s or low 90s.

Generally the strokes I'm losing are from not getting off the box worth a darn. Had a stretch Saturday where I was making pars by topping my 5 wood off the box, then hitting the same 5 wood off the deck from the rough 220 yards, chip up and 2 putt for bogey. I was lucky I was scrambling well but why on the earth am I hitting the same club out the rough perfect when I'm topping it off the box!

I'll also chunk one or two shots a round. Generally when I'm hitting over a hazard.

I'm really tired of being told I have a good swing and should be scoring better while never actually scoring better.

FGOLF! lol
E
AG
Something that has helped me is quit trying to execute tough shots with low probability of making it.

Quit "going for it", play the safe shot/layup, if you're in the rough with crap in your way just put it back in play in middle of fairway instead of trying to pull off a hero shot, and finally just go for center green on approach shots.
Aggie369
AG
Decade Golf

https://practical-golf.com/decade-scott-fawcett/

Look for some of his stuff on YouTube. I caddie for my buddy when I can in Qschool, korn ferry, and some pga Monday qualifiers. He does a lot of the decade strategy stuff that Fawcett teaches.

G Martin 87
AG
Sounds like you're swinging down at the ball on your tee shot. That's why your shots out of the rough work, but your tee shots don't. Try swinging level through the ball.

Also, do what E says. Don't try low percentage hero shots out of the rough. The first priority is to get the ball back in the fairway on a good lie where you have a much better chance of a good shot. Take your medicine, don't make a bad situation worse.

Also also, here's my YouTube channel recommendation. https://www.youtube.com/c/GolfSidekick

Matt has a lot of fantastic videos about on course strategy for all levels of players. You might find this one useful.

Aggie369
AG
One of the strategies I use on every hole is a grading system on how/where to miss on approach shots. Ill see if I can find a yardage book from q-school that we used at home this afternoon. This eliminates big numbers for sure. You essentially grade out the areas around the green from 0-3 based on how hard it will be to get up and down. Ill look tonight for my old yardage books
AustinCountyAg
take this with a grain of salt because I am no scratch golfer, currently around a 7. Started the year around 12, so I was able to play a lot during the summer cause of rona'.

My #1 thing in dropping strokes was getting of the tee box and eliminate OB and lost balls. If that means hitting 4i off the tee box, or hybrid thats what you do. simple as that

Trinity Ag
S
I hear you. The blow ups are killing me.

Yesterday set a personal record for Front/Back disparity.

Shot a 54/37 = 91.

Took penalties off the tee on 5 of 9 holes on the front.
Rubble
AG
My blow ups always come from the fairway and less than 100 yds from the hole. Driver and putter are my two best clubs, just can't get on the damn green from the middle of the fairway half the time.

Last week I doubled a par 4 from 73 yards out, bogies on two others from less than 100, and shot 80. I'm so close to consistently shooting in the 70's. Just can't get out of my own head on the shorter approach shots.
dcrewint
Do you commonly play the same course? Like 40-50%(+) of the time?
khaos288
AG
When you practice, take your rangefinder and note your favorite wedge shots. Gap wedge 50% goes 80 yards? Write it down. Find a comfortable shot from every distance. Use those all over the course, and practice green side chipping
Rusty GCS
AG
dcrewint said:

Do you commonly play the same course? Like 40-50%(+) of the time?

More like 80-90% of the time
dcrewint
To echo what others said, since you do play most of your golf at the same club, is to take notes of where you play each shot and how you execute/score from there. At Pebble Creek once I decided to do this it really helped my game and helped take the same mentality to other courses. I used to be all driver off most tees. Just had some doubts to why I wouldn't rather be 50 yards in as opposed to 100. Then after some analysis during the quarantine time frame, I saw a much more favorable outcome (most times) from the 100 yr in compared to the 50.

Now I try to break down other courses, even if I hadn't played them yet. This has given me huge success on 5's and middle-short par 4's.

Having a checklist before you shot can help to make sure you don't forget some course management keys. Stance/weather conditions/course conditions and 1 good rehearsal of the swing you expect to make.

And, yes, of course, not hitting OB/water, even if that means playing a wicked line to avoid them until you more consistent with ball-striking.
oldag00
AG
We may be brothers separated at birth....

Let's never play a scramble together.
oldschool87
AG
When you get into trouble get out of trouble... Hitting a 3 wood 250 over water because you hit a bad tee shot so you can have a par putt, is not the answer...

Learn to take a bogey.
Rubble
AG
oldag00 said:

We may be brothers separated at birth....

Let's never play a scramble together.
My dad always says, "you'd be a really good scramble partner". Not the best compliment on the golf course...
Rusty GCS
AG
oldschool87 said:

When you get into trouble get out of trouble... Hitting a 3 wood 250 over water because you hit a bad tee shot so you can have a par putt, is not the answer...

Learn to take a bogey.

That's not my issue. I would choose a layup there every time.

Saturday my round went (playing back 9 first)

10 (4) - double bogey (FW hit. 200 yard approach is off slope of green to back left. Shank a chip. On in 4 and 2 putt)

11 (3) - par (up & down)

12 (5) - par (FW hit. up & down)

13 (4) - bogey (approach is pushed right. Chip up and 2 putt)

14 (4) - bogey (Top 5W off box. 5W to 120 yards out. Gap wedge on and 2 putt)

15 (3) - bogey (Chunked 6 iron from 190. Pitch up and 2 putt)

16 (4) - bogey (top 5W off tee. Hit 5W again from 220 in rough. Chip up and 2 putt)

17 (4) - double bogey (top 5W off tee. Have no look at green and hit 5iron to a layup spot, chip up and 3 putt missing a 4' putt)

18 (5) - triple bogey (top 5w off tee. 5W pushes right with no shot at green left. Layup with 58 clips branch and is behind a tree. Pitch into FW. Catch wedge thin and fly green. Chip up and 2 putt)

1 (4) - double bogey (FW hit. approach is 10 yards short due to wind. Catch chip thin and goes just off back of green. 3 putt.)

2 (3) - double bogey (approach is 15 yards short due to wind. Have a bad lie and catch chip thin and goes over back of green. Chip up and 2 putt)

3 (4) - double bogey (5W off tee hugs OB but stays in. Have to pitch out to 150 marker. Approach is right of green. Chip up and 2 putt.

4 (4) - par (FW hit. GIR)

5 (4) - double bogey (5W is pushed right. Layup to 100 yard marker. Hit what I thought was perfect shot that flies green with high wind. Chip up and 2 putt)

6 (5) - par (FW hit. GIR)

7 (4) - par (GIR)

8 (5) - triple bogey (driver into water. Layup into water. Chip on 2 putt)

9 (3) - bogey (missed green. Chip up and 2 putt)

That's a 96 with 5 pars and 8 blowup holes. 5 of those blowups were in a row while topping my tee shot. I only had penalty strokes on one hole. I was playing the same ball the whole round until the next to last hole.
DGAG92
AG
Instead of asking folks here, contact your local PGA Professional and let someone "who knows what they're doing" look at your swing. Spend a little money and do it right.
Class of 1992
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Check out Tyler McGhie on YouTube he has some great videos on 30,50,and 80 yard wedge shots. Plus a ton of other videos. It helped me because I realized I was just arm swinging and he is big on body rotation on those shots. Hitting them a little crisper now with better control.
aggies12thman
AG
That 5W is killing you. Throw it in the garbage.

NColoradoAG
aggies12thman said:

That 5W is killing you. Throw it in the garbage.

OP should just hit the 5W off the deck on the tee box.
oldschool87
AG
Rusty GCS said:

oldschool87 said:

Learn to take a bogey.

That's not my issue. I would choose a layup there every time.

Saturday my round went (playing back 9 first)

10 (4) - double bogey (FW hit. 200 yard approach is off slope of green to back left. Shank a chip. On in 4 and 2 putt)

11 (3) - par (up & down)

12 (5) - par (FW hit. up & down)

13 (4) - bogey (approach is pushed right. Chip up and 2 putt)

14 (4) - bogey (Top 5W off box. 5W to 120 yards out. Gap wedge on and 2 putt)

15 (3) - bogey (Chunked 6 iron from 190. Pitch up and 2 putt)

16 (4) - bogey (top 5W off tee. Hit 5W again from 220 in rough. Chip up and 2 putt)

17 (4) - double bogey (top 5W off tee. Have no look at green and hit 5iron to a layup spot, chip up and 3 putt missing a 4' putt)

18 (5) - triple bogey (top 5w off tee. 5W pushes right with no shot at green left. Layup with 58 clips branch and is behind a tree. Pitch into FW. Catch wedge thin and fly green. Chip up and 2 putt)

1 (4) - double bogey (FW hit. approach is 10 yards short due to wind. Catch chip thin and goes just off back of green. 3 putt.)

2 (3) - double bogey (approach is 15 yards short due to wind. Have a bad lie and catch chip thin and goes over back of green. Chip up and 2 putt)

3 (4) - double bogey (5W off tee hugs OB but stays in. Have to pitch out to 150 marker. Approach is right of green. Chip up and 2 putt.

4 (4) - par (FW hit. GIR)

5 (4) - double bogey (5W is pushed right. Layup to 100 yard marker. Hit what I thought was perfect shot that flies green with high wind. Chip up and 2 putt)

6 (5) - par (FW hit. GIR)

7 (4) - par (GIR)

8 (5) - triple bogey (driver into water. Layup into water. Chip on 2 putt)

9 (3) - bogey (missed green. Chip up and 2 putt)

That's a 96 with 5 pars and 8 blowup holes. 5 of those blowups were in a row while topping my tee shot. I only had penalty strokes on one hole. I was playing the same ball the whole round until the next to last hole.

No offense, but you don't really have blow up holes... a blow up hole should be an 8 in a sea of 4's and 5's. Not a triple after 3 doubles...

Or in your case a 9 or 10.

Aggie369
AG
your definition of a blow up hole changes as you start to score better.

A "blow up" could just be chunking a wedge and making double when you had 103 to a center of the green pin and expected at the least a makeable birdie putt attempt
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sounds like you just need to work on your ball striking

No offense but if these are consistent shots chunking and topping then it isn't course management, it's your ability to hit it square and semi straight

Until then you are hoping for too much as far as scores
oldschool87
AG
Aggie369 said:

A "blow up" could just be chunking a wedge and making double when you had 103 to a center of the green pin and expected at the least a makeable birdie putt attempt
A blow up hole is not a bogey, Tiger woods makes bogey.

A blow up hole is a statistical anomaly to your normal score...

If your a zero handicap, a blow up hole is a double bogey. The odds of a 0 handicap making double bogey are less than 1 per round of golf. Other wise, no way you are ever a 0 handicap.

If you are a 20 handicap, your making 3 to 4 doubles per round. and your making 7 bogeys per round. A blow up hole has to be more than a stroke over your avg score... Logically you would assume.

So, a statistical anomaly, to a 20 handicapper is a Quad. Maybe a triple, maybe... If you have 3 of anything, that is not a statistical anomaly, that is the norm...

oldschool87
AG
oldschool87 said:

Aggie369 said:

A blow up hole is not a bogey, Tiger woods makes bogey.

A blow up hole is a statistical anomaly to your normal score...

If your a zero handicap, a blow up hole is a double bogey. The odds of a 0 handicap making double bogey are less than 1 per round of golf. Other wise, no way you are ever a 0 handicap.

If you are a 20 handicap, your making 3 to 4 doubles per round. and your making 7 bogeys per round. A blow up hole has to be more than a stroke over your avg score... Logically you would assume.

So, a statistical anomaly, to a 20 handicapper is a Quad. Maybe a triple, maybe... If you have 3 of anything, that is not a statistical anomaly, that is the norm...

A blow up round...

2 bogeys, 12 pars, 2 birdies, 1 double and 1 triple. 2 shots OB, Those are 2 blow up holes. Completely out of the norm for the score card... Average score with out blow up holes... Par! he shoots par without the blowup holes... He shoots par, + 5 shots on 2 holes. Those are blow up holes...
Aggie369
AG
I'm a 5

I never said a bogey was a blow up

If I chunk a wedge and make double from 103....thats a blow up for me.

Its not that I made a 6...its that I made a 6 when I shouldn't have. I SHOULD have a putt inside 20 feet for birdie from 103.
oldschool87
AG
Aggie369 said:

I'm a 5

Its not that I made a 6...its that I made a 6 when I shouldn't have. I SHOULD have a putt inside 20 feet for birdie from 103.
If your a 5, then double is a blow up...
Rubble
AG
Aggie369 said:

I'm a 5

100% agree. I'm an 8, and this is exactly what I consider a blow up, and it usually happens once a round unfortunately
Aggie369
AG
Sometimes

Just because I double a hole doesn't mean its a blow up hole...bad bounces, wind gusts, and bad lies happen. #golf
oldschool87
AG
Aggie369 said:

Sometimes

Just because I double a hole doesn't mean its a blow up hole...bad bounces, wind gusts, and bad lies happen. #golf
Today was a bad day to give up sniffing glue...
ORAggieFan
I'd think a blowup is taking more than allowed by your handicap. I'm a 26 who can reel off dice pars I'm a row. You can imagine how many blowups I have. I'm a great Stableford partner.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Yea I agree, if you have to adjust your actual score to your esc ( I'm a 5 and got a triple but I'm only allowed double for my handicap) then that is def - blowup
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Also throw the 5w in the garbage and get a driving iron.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Keep it in play off the teebox. Don't take 2 chips. IMO hero golf isn't trying a crazy recovery on an approach. It's more commonly getting too cute in trying to save par with your chipping and turning what should be at worst bogey into double (or triple/quad if you already screwed up getting off the tee). Get it on the green
littledude
AG
Something that helped me score better was working a ton on chipping. My approaches are still inconsistent but being able to make chips or chip and one putt much of the time instead of chipping and two putting has made a big difference. Added bonus is that I don't stress about my approach shot so much and I can just play it safe.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.