Cowboys Golf Club vs. Texas Rangers Golf Club

3,507 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
NomadicAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for opinions on both. Which is better? Why?

FYI, I have played the Cowboys course, but not the Rangers and wondering if I should give it a shot.

Thanks!!!
khaos288
AG
Rangers was a huge MEH from me. For the price, I would much rather go to Cowboys.
Ft.Worth_Ag
AG
Cowboys
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cowboys. It's got elevation and other interesting aspects that you just don't find in courses around here. When I played Rangers, I thought it's condition was beautiful, but I just enjoy Cowboys more
Sueshade10
AG
+1 Cowboys
tamu2009
AG
I like Cowboys more, but if I'm paying rack rate I'm probably going to rangers. I don't think Cowboys is $100 better than rangers.

That being said, I'm playing Cowboys Sunday with the idealgolfer coupon for half price.
grego
AG
Guess I'm in the minority here but I think Rangers is a much better golf course. Doesn't have the Disneyland effect of Cowboys - and last I was out there clubhouse wasn't done - but I think it is a really good course.
bcanales05
AG
Agree with Grego.

The biggest thing between the two courses is that you do not get the "inclusive snacks/drinks" at Rangers like you do at Cowboys.

I thought the course and greens at Rangers was better than Cowboys.

As previously mentioned the clubhouse still is not finished yet. That's kind of a drag because no one wants to do a 19th hole in a portable building.
Aggie95
AG
Is the Rangers course new or a renovation of previous course?
DannyDuberstein
AG
It was a renovation and rebranding of Chester Ditto. They did an fantastic job on it
LRB38
S
Cowboys. Make sure you check the weather, can play rather long against a north breeze though. Had a buddy play Rangers 2 days ago. Said the greens were in top shape, but he also said Cowboys Club was better given the price similarities right now.
NomadicAggie
AG
So I apologize for all the questions, but have a buddy coming in from out of town and we'd like to play on Wednesday. The courses under consideration:

1. Waterchase
2. Texas Star
3. Texas Rangers course

I've played the Cowboys course and loved it, but it's closed all day on Wednesday for tournaments.

Is that the order you'd rank the choices? Green fees are not an issue, just want to play a nice course.

Thanks again!
Rubble
AG
I'd put Texas Star ahead of Waterchase.
pheasant
I'd probably say Texas Star too but you can't go wrong with Waterchase. I love Texas Rangers but I don't think it's quite as good as the others.
tamu2009
AG
Texas Star for sure.

I did play cowboys yesterday and it was in GREAT shape and the greens were rolling pretty fast.
leachfan
Texas Star
19AG84
AG
I have only played the Cowboy Club. I have played it a few times when A&M has played Arkansas as well as the Cotton Bowl. Fun course. I am unfamiliar with the Texas Ranger course. Where is it? does it play as well as the Rangers?

(caveat...my wife is from Arlington, and I have followed the Ranger's from the early 1980's) And yes, I used to cheer when the temperature at Ranger Stadium dropped below 100 in the evening.

NomadicAggie
AG
So as a follow up, we played Waterchase yesterday. Cowboys and Texas Star both closed due to hosting tournaments.

The pros of Waterchase: The course was in awesome shape. The fairways were well maintained and played well. The greens might be some of the best I have played anywhere in a long time. Seriously, the greens were phenomenal.

The cons: Some fairway bunkers need some work, but nothing terrible. Not in a great part of town, and the scenery around the course leaves a lot to be desired. The clubhouse is a trailer on the site. Nice folks, very helpful. Felt like the course is on/around an old oil/gas field.

I would definitely play the course again. As I said, the course itself was in great shape. Driving up to it, I had low expectations and was blown away.

Thanks for everyone's input ahead of time. Much appreciated.
Yesterday
AG
Two different approaches for golfers. Cowboys has the nice resort course feel while a rangers has a true championship track feel to it. A lot of risk/reward shots at Rangers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.