Best Courses Within 2-3 Hours of DFW

2,371 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by _lefraud_
rodneyp11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I will be on mandatory PTO the week of 10/19 so I'm looking for some new places to play within a couple hours of DFW. I'm looking for public courses that I have not played or someone willing to host at a private club. Let me know ideas or suggestions.
Rubble
AG
Possum Kingdom?
khaos288
AG
Squaw Valley is a sweet track
Old School Brother
Pine Dunes?
mavsfan4ever
AG
All of the above are good suggestions. Lands End at lake fork is another. And the Tribute is pretty cool. Or rangers golf club and cowboys Golf club are good options but a little pricey.

Heard good things about Old American and Winstar but have never played them.
DallasAggie89
AG
The Tempest
davidmargarita
AG
Pine Dunes and Tempest are both winners, with Pine Dunes taking the cake. As close to Pinehurst as you can get without traveling to NC. If you're looking for something closer to the metroplex, Split Rail in Willow Park is a diamond in the rough.
_lefraud_
AG
I'll throw out Sugar Tree, West of Weatherford, near Brock. Just leave your driver at home.

Squaw Valley above in Glen Rose has two courses...probably my go to track.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm playing in a tourney out at sugar tree in November. Never played it before.
bcanales05
AG
Winstar has two courses you could play.
Austintm
_lefraud_ said:

I'll throw out Sugar Tree, West of Weatherford, near Brock. Just leave your driver at home.

Squaw Valley above in Glen Rose has two courses...probably my go to track.
My parents live in Glen Rose, so I've played the Squaw Valley courses a lot. Nice, but nowhere close to Pine Dunes.
rodneyp11
AG
I have played Pines Dunes, Tempest, Rangets and Sugar Tree recently. I may try Squaw Valley, Split Rail or Possum Kingdom as I have heard good things about all 3.

Still open for other suggestions.
_lefraud_
AG
The Hideout Golf Club in Brownwood would be worth the drive, especially on a weekday. This use to be called Featherbay Golf Club, just North of town near the lake.
AledoAg86
AG
rodneyp11 said:

I have played Pines Dunes, Tempest, Rangets and Sugar Tree recently. I may try Squaw Valley, Split Rail or Possum Kingdom as I have heard good things about all 3.

Still open for other suggestions.
I really like playing Split Rail.

Disclaimer: It has been my home course for over 3 years now.
aggiedad55
AG
White Bluff Resort on Lake Whitney has two 18 hole championship courses that are in immaculate condition. I play there weekly and they are now open to the public. Call for tee times. New Course - 254-694-3610
Old Course - 254-694-1007
AledoAg86
AG
aggiedad55 said:

White Bluff Resort on Lake Whitney has two 18 hole championship courses that are in immaculate condition. I play there weekly and they are now open to the public. Call for tee times. New Course - 254-694-3610
Old Course - 254-694-1007
That's great to know after hearing they were shut down at one time and then re-opened. Both courses are great layouts. My father used to own a lot in White Bluff, and I really enjoyed playing both tracks.
OilandGasAg2014
AG
Waterchase is a fun track in Arlington. Always in great shape.
cowtown ag02
AG
Squaw Valley is my home course and both courses are great. New course is probably the better 18 but the back nine on the old course is the best 9 holes on both courses. Both courses are in great condition right now. Split Rail is another good choice and designed very similar to Squaw Valley. Sugar Tree is good as well but as the above poster said make sure your driver is straight or leave at home.
C ROC N
davidmargarita said:

Pine Dunes and Tempest are both winners, with Pine Dunes taking the cake. As close to Pinehurst as you can get without traveling to NC. If you're looking for something closer to the metroplex, Split Rail in Willow Park is a diamond in the rough.

My sons college golf team plays and practices at The Tempest!! Nice layout, greens rolling great with plenty of slope. Learn the hills and ridges by the greens so you might not be playing towards the pin! Fun course! Highly recommend
rodneyp11
AG
Which would be better at Squaw Valley? Apache or Comanche?
mavsfan4ever
AG
Rubble said:

Possum Kingdom?

Just played this today and it's my favorite course I've played in Texas. Some holes are almost unfair, but I didn't care because almost every hole has an amazing view. And on top of that, there are deer everywhere.

Great course.
_lefraud_
AG
They are both going to be in the same (good) condition.

I personally like the Comanche Lakes "better" as I feel there are more birdie opportunities. However, #9 is the hardest hole on the property.

Apache Links has the toughest 3 hole stretch on the property with holes 9, 10, 11. There's some birdie holes early, but it can get pretty difficult, outside of 12/13 with the 9 holes coming in on the Links.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.