OFFICIAL RULES for the TexAgs Tour on TheGrint

4,723 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bagger05
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This thread will be used to establish the official rules for the tour. The OP will be edited and updated based on feedback and will serve as our official rules.

SUPREMACY OF THE SUPREME COMMISSIONER:
All rules and the tour schedule described below are subject to change at the sole discretion of the Supreme Commissioner bagger05. Look, man, this is the first time we're doing this so we will need to be flexible. Since sacks of crap are not allowed on the tour, I'm sure we will all be fine.

ELIGIBILITY:
Anyone is eligible to join the tour as long as they aren't sacks of crap. For the purpose of the tour, "sack of crap" will be defined as anyone who is found out to be sandbagging, cheating, being a total jerk, or generally acting in a way that demonstrates a lack of understanding that this is all for fun and not THAT serious.

Eligibility to join and continue in the tour will be at the sole discretion of the Supreme Commissioner bagger05. Typical process for determining disciplinary action or resolution of disputes between members will be discussion on the TexAgs Golf Board where the Supreme Commissioner can hear the opinions of other tour members and onlookers to aid his decision on whether anyone is being an ass.

There is no cutoff time for signing up for the tour. The more the merrier and inviting your friends is encouraged.

HANDICAPS AND HANDICAP CATEGORIES:
Official WHS Handicaps are preferred. If you do not have an official handicap, the low end of your estimate from TheGrint minus one will be used. For each event, the handicap at the time of your round will be used.

The tour is not flighted. Each event awards points based on net score regardless of handicap. While this is clearly a disadvantage for players with lower handicaps, being good at golf should be its own reward so F the low handicappers.

While there are no flights, the tour is grouped according to handicaps (those are the superscript numbers next to your name). These are irrelevant for tour points but may come into play for the TexAgs Cup. There will be four groups:
  • Handicaps < 6.0
  • Handicaps 6.0 - 9.9
  • Handicaps 10.0 - 15.9
  • Handicaps > 15.9

PLAYING EVENT ROUNDS:
You must decide that you are playing an event round prior to teeing off. It's not allowed to play several rounds during the event period and choose your best one to post as your score. This is done on the honor system. Tour members found in violation of this rule will be subject to disciplinary action due to violating the sack of crap clause of the eligibility requirements.

Only 18-hole rounds on courses with a par 70 or higher are eligible for posting to the tour.

COMMITTEE RULES TO FACILITATE PACE OF PLAY:
To facilitate pace of play, the Supreme Commissioner is enacting local rules for drop procedures in place of stroke and distance for lost balls and ball out of bounds. A summary of this rule is that if a ball is lost or out of bounds, rather than returning to the tee you may drop under penalty of two strokes. The relief area is no closer to the hole, between the point where the ball was lost or out of bounds and the nearest fairway area. You may also drop within two club lengths of this relief area (which means you are allowed to drop in the fairway). Details on how to apply this rule are here:
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Since we are playing handicapped and these are recreational rounds, you are allowed to pick up after reaching net double bogey if you have an established handicap. If you don't, max score is par +5.
https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/handicapping/Net%20Double%20Bogey%20is%20the%20new%20Max%20Hole%20Score.pdf

If you are playing match play or best ball, you are not required to hole out and can record your most likely score as the rules allow for these formats.
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/3%203%20When%20a%20Hole%20is%20Started%20but%20Player%20does%20not%20Hole%20Out.htm#:~:text=For%20players%20with%20an%20established,exceed%20par%20plus%205%20strokes.

When in doubt, just use full stroke play rules but PLEASE don't be that guy holding everyone up on the course because you're posting an official round for the TexAgs Tour.

Your ranking in each event is based on net score relative to par.

Standard single round events:
  • 300 - 1st place
  • 225 - 2nd place
  • 175 - 3rd place
  • 150 - 4th place
  • 135 - 5th place
  • -5 points for each place on down, minimum of 10 points

Offseason single round events:
  • 150 - 1st place
  • 115 - 2nd place
  • 90 - 3rd place
  • 75 - 4th place
  • 65 - 5th place
  • -5 points for each place on down, minimum of 5 points

Dual-round majors:
  • 600 - 1st place
  • 450 - 2nd place
  • 350 - 3rd place
  • 300 - 4th place
  • 270 - 5th place
  • -10 points for each place on down, minimum of 40 points

Three-round tour championship:
  • 1000 - 1st place
  • 750 - 2nd place
  • 525 - 3rd place
  • 450 - 4th place
  • 400 - 5th place
  • -10 points for each place on down, minimum of 60 points

PROPOSED SCHEDULE:

Event 1: Standard Single Round Event, Sep 21 - Oct 4

Event 2: Standard Single Round Event, Oct 5-18

Event 3: Standard Single Round Event, Oct 19 - Nov 1

Event 4: DUAL-ROUND MAJOR, Nov 2-29

Event 5: Offseason Single Round Event, Nov 30 - Dec 20

Event 6: Offseason Single Round Event, Dec 21 - Jan 10

Event 7: Standard Single Round Event, Jan 11-24

Event 8: Standard Single Round Event, Jan 25 - Feb 7

Event 9: Standard Single Round Event, Feb 8-21

Event 10: DUAL ROUND MAJOR, Feb 22 - Mar 21

Event 11: Standard Single Round Event, Mar 22 - Apr 4

Event 12: Offseason Single Round Event, Apr 5 - Apr 11

Event 13: TEXAGS TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP (THREE ROUNDS), Apr 12 - May 16

Event 14: TEXAGS CUP, TEXAS A&M CAMPUS COURSE, MAY 22 (tentatively)

TEXAGS CUP FORMAT:
At the end of the season, those who are able will gather in College Station to play for the TexAgs Cup (hopefully we can come up with a better name before then). The tentative date is set to be the weekend after graduation.

As the date approaches we will determine the best way to divide into teams and determine captains. During the event we will play 18 holes: six holes of foursomes, six holes of fourball, and six holes of match play. Details will be determined when we get closer to the event.
Rubble
AG
Excellent. Thanks bagger for getting this set up!
bullitt
AG
Did I miss where to sign up? What's the wager?
ElCheAg
AG
May have to do this.
lazuras_dc
AG
Everyone throw in a buck or two we could have a trophy that gets passed around at an annual texags meetup golf event ?
Rubble
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Everyone throw in a buck or two we could have a trophy that gets passed around at an annual texags meetup golf event ?

I'll donate
bagger05
AG
We are doing it via TheGrint.
cakubacak
AG
Is the schedule set? Last I looked at it, if we slightly adjusted the first major and the March major we could potentially catch Thanksgiving week and spring break for most people in Texas who could get rounds in during those times. I'm looking forward to this.
bagger05
AG
Added the proposed schedule to the OP. Let me know what adjustments you recommend.
ORAggieFan
This is awesome. I hope I can play enough to get a round each event.
cakubacak
AG
bagger05 said:

Added the proposed schedule to the OP. Let me know what adjustments you recommend.

My only suggestions would be to run the 1st major the whole month of November, the 2nd major the month of March, and the Championship extended into June, just basically gives those a little more time to get the additional rounds in.
G Martin 87
AG
bagger, remember that Grint combines the last two 9 hole rounds to make a single 18 hole round. I would suggest explicitly stating that only 18 hole rounds completed on the same day can be used for a Tour event.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Dumb question. Do you have to sign up for the pro version of Grint for the official World Handicap to count? Not sure what the difference between that and Handicap Member subscription is...
cb1919
AG
How do I sign up??
bagger05
AG
1. Download and sign up for TheGrint (if you don't already have it)

2. PM me or email me at Texags.bagger05 at gmail so we can connect on TheGrint

3. I will invite you to the tour
BreNayPop
bagger05
AG
G Martin 87 said:

bagger, remember that Grint combines the last two 9 hole rounds to make a single 18 hole round. I would suggest explicitly stating that only 18 hole rounds completed on the same day can be used for a Tour event.

Added a note on this to the OP
Colt98
AG
So I don't have a WGH I guess bc I don't pay for the grint. I have 87 rounds scored on grint. With an estimated handicap of 5-7 now?? Don't know how it's that low when my avg score is 83. Anyway, so by rule I will have to use 5 as a handicap for tourney?
Texas Ag 15
AG
I was wondering the same thing, and was thinking we may have to upgrade to pro version to get an actual handicap?
E
AG
Colt98 said:

So I don't have a WGH I guess bc I don't pay for the grint. I have 87 rounds scored on grint. With an estimated handicap of 5-7 now?? Don't know how it's that low when my avg score is 83. Anyway, so by rule I will have to use 5 as a handicap for tourney?
I don't know about the rule for when you don't have an official WGH, but it is very possible you are a 5-7 hcp with an 83 average. I am a 10.7 hcp and have a 87.4 average round.

Handicaps take your best 8 of 20, so its not an average of your last X amount of rounds. If that were the case i'd be a 15 hcp.

My advice would be to just get the pro version to get an actual handicap if you plan on playing. You could justify the cost as its around or less then the amount you've spent on snacks and beer in the clubhouse the last time you played...
Rubble
AG
E said:

Colt98 said:

I don't know about the rule for when you don't have an official WGH, but it is very possible you are a 5-7 hcp with an 83 average. I am a 10.7 hcp and have a 87.4 average round.

Handicaps take your best 8 of 20, so its not an average of your last X amount of rounds. If that were the case i'd be a 15 hcp.

My advice would be to just get the pro version to get an actual handicap if you plan on playing. You could justify the cost as its around or less then the amount you've spent on snacks and beer in the clubhouse the last time you played...

Your handicap is your potential, not your average. It uses the best 8 from the last 20 rounds. My HCI is 9.1, but my average for my last 20 rounds is 85.5...
BQ_2010
AG
Bagger - My home course is a Par 70. That alright?
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm having trouble figuring out how to input my round into the test tourney. I played yesterday, and I didn't see an option to put the round in the test tourney event. I think I remember someone saying that you had to manage the tour stuff on the website, and can't do it on the app.

So when you go to the website, is there a way to upload your round for the tour test tourney? They only option I see is for me to manually input my scores for each hole or for the round.

Edit: figured it out. In case anyone else has trouble finding it, go to the tours page, click on add score, click on total round, then pick the event from the drop down menu, and then hit submit.
bagger05
AG
Par 70 is fine.
cjsag94
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Edit: figured it out. In case anyone else has trouble finding it, go to the tours page, click on add score, click on total round, then pick the event from the drop down menu, and then hit submit.

Would be nice if we could turn that off. Rule is you have to decide before the round that it is your official round. Counter to that if we are able to go in after the fact and apply it to the tour.

To apply before, you just edit round settings, click Tour Events at the bottom of the screen, and select the tour.
tamu2009
AG
I think we'ce already hashed that out and it's going to be based on the honor system. Not everyone puts their scores in hole by hole as they play, so I don't think there is a way around it.

_lefraud_
AG
I plan on trying to play each "tour" round with a fellow member. Regardless, I'd hope no-one part of the tour would even be tempted to do anything remotely shady.
bagger05
AG
Interesting fact: a score is not admissible for your handicap unless you play with another person.

I thought about making a stipulation that you had to play with others but figure that's not doable for lots of people.
mavsfan4ever
AG
cjsag94 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Would be nice if we could turn that off. Rule is you have to decide before the round that it is your official round. Counter to that if we are able to go in after the fact and apply it to the tour.

To apply before, you just edit round settings, click Tour Events at the bottom of the screen, and select the tour.

I couldn't figure out how to apply it before the round, but I see what you are talking about now and can apply it beforehand for the real events. Not sure if you can turn that option off or not. But if people really want to cheat then they could just apply it beforehand and then lie about scores. So it's going to have to be based on the honor system either way.
bagger05
AG
Exactly.
Quinn
AG
cakubacak said:

bagger05 said:

My only suggestions would be to run the 1st major the whole month of November, the 2nd major the month of March, and the Championship extended into June, just basically gives those a little more time to get the additional rounds in.
I starred this, but wanted to bring it back to attention. I think one month would be clutch for the majors. I know I would struggle to get two rounds played in a 3 week period and bet other dads would have the same challenge. Maybe you could overlap the next event so those that can play every week and they can submit their third round as the next regular event?
Rubble
AG
Quinn said:

cakubacak said:

bagger05 said:

I starred this, but wanted to bring it back to attention. I think one month would be clutch for the majors. I know I would struggle to get two rounds played in a 3 week period and bet other dads would have the same challenge. Maybe you could overlap the next event so those that can play every week and they can submit their third round as the next regular event?

I concur. I'm not sure how much longer I get to use the "getting out of the house because of COVID" excuse to play golf. I've been fortunate this year to play about twice as much as a normal year...just don't want to push it too far
bagger05
AG
Made a few adjustments. Schedule has been tweaked slightly. The majors are now four weeks and the tour championship is now five weeks.

Added some notes about only 18 hole scores at par 70+ courses are admissible.

Also noted that we will change from net score to net score relative to par as the ranking criteria.

See additional notes regarding the TexAgs Cup and handicap categories.

Hit me up if you have comments or questions.
bagger05
AG
Also added another points category for offseason events.
Rubble
AG
I think I may re-link my GHIN and then only post tour round scores through grint. This way there is no doubling up like last time on my GHIN
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.