Houston Open

19,273 Views | 203 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CFTXAG10
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DJ just committed this year.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Sorry. Who is DJ?
Rubble
AG
Dirk Jiggler?
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
Derek Jeter
Rubble
AG

jagvocate
AG
That's fine, but still waiting for AJ, PJ, and TJ

CFTXAG10
AG

Legend
AG
That big "Committed" banner across the players' photo makes me wonder if Sumlin or Fran took over their twitter. Looks a little bush league (imo), especially for a PGA tour event.

mazag08
AG
Another tournament for Rickie to be incredibly average at.
khaos288
AG
mazag08 said:

Hey, Rickie does fine doing slightly above average.
ElCheAg
AG
khaos288 said:

mazag08 said:

And that's when average is lowered a bit.
E
AG
Legend said:

That big "Committed" banner across the players' photo makes me wonder if Sumlin or Fran took over their twitter. Looks a little bush league (imo), especially for a PGA tour event.

#YESSIR!
The Milkman
AG
khaos288 said:

mazag08 said:

This'll be a good trip for him to pick up a new sponsor and do some marketing activations.
aggiedent
AG
But how many decommits are we gonna have?
khaos288
AG
The Milkman said:

khaos288 said:

mazag08 said:

This'll be a good trip for him to pick up a new sponsor and do some marketing activations.

It's about time for a top ten finish where the announcers talk about how he just hasn't broken through yet.
Ag_07
AG
They're just trying to drum up excitement and fight the stigma of a Nov tourney having a crappy field. The field had slipped in recent years. I did see Johnttan Vegas playing there last week. Said he wanted to see the course and get a practice round in.

I'm more worried about the condition of the course. I know they can do a lot in a little amount of time but I think it has a ways to go. IMO it's in decent muni shape but nowhere near PGA Tour quality.

Any word on whether there are gonna be fans there?
Mr.Bond
AG
No fans and a good agronomy team can get it to where it needs to be very quickly
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

CFTXAG10
AG
We actually might have a limited number of fans. Will find out more this afternoon. Still not clear if it will be for sponsors only or if they will do a public on-sale/lottery.

2,500 fans a day - 500 of those VIP. Koepka committed today. Looks like lefty is coming too.
trip98
AG
Lefty always plays houston after their experience here.
Koepka is big pick up.
remember Crane owns a course in FL where some of the pros live. He knows them, he'll call in favors and they'll show up. And they might get buddies to come. I believe DJ lives on his course. The feedback I heard from a handful of pros were that they were disappointed it was moving between location, airport, housing, set up, facilities, etc being one of the better places on tour.
So not surprising they'll get big names in year 1...will see if it continues in future years after losing that primo spring slot.

will be interesting to see what they can do for fans. Sylvester begged for years for it to be in the city. Even though he was against it being in kingwood despite it being part of the city. But with Rona will he let fans go. Despite all of that, the location is not good for spectators to get to.
CFTXAG10
AG
Found out today they literally decided last minute to allow 2,500 fans. There should be something out soon in terms of promo for ticket sales. Gonna be an interesting tournament for sure.
Ag_07
AG
Koepka also consulted with Doak on the renovation. They wanted a tour players take and Crane got him on board to work with Doak. I couldn't see him passing up after being that involved on the reno.

Should be fun to watch after playing

I also saw Johnathan Vegas out there a couple weeks ago playing. Dude was teeing off #10 from right behind the flower beds where there was no sign of a tee marker. He shook some hand, took some selfies with fans, and said he's enjoyed the course.
Post removed:
by user
JCA1
AG
Really curious to see what the pros do with the course. I played it for the first time after the renovation Wednesday. Man, it's a tough track. Virtually every green is elevated with steep runoffs on virtually all sides. It's an approach shot course (although the rough off the tee is no joke either).
Ag_07
AG
Interesting

Has PGA allowed fans at any other event?
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

Interesting

Has PGA allowed fans at any other event?
Not 100% sure on that. Tour officials were at Memorial this week going over A LOT of information. Not exactly sure how they landed on 2,500/day but that is the number for now (subject to change). NRG came up a few times. Specifically, if they can allow x number of fans at Texans games, we should be allowed to have fans at an outdoor golfing event.
Ag_07
AG
I mean that's my thinking as well.

Just curious to how or why the PGA would cater to this event but not others.

Good news though!
Post removed:
by user
AustinCountyAg
thursday tickets are available for purchase currently
JYDog90
AG
$79/piece. It asks for a password, who has access to purchase?
AustinCountyAg
yes just saw the password deal...ugh I need the password!!
mazag08
AG
JCA1 said:

Really curious to see what the pros do with the course. I played it for the first time after the renovation Wednesday. Man, it's a tough track. Virtually every green is elevated with steep runoffs on virtually all sides. It's an approach shot course (although the rough off the tee is no joke either).
Greens are tough if you don't hit them. And chipping is not really an option on most. You pretty much have to put up slopes if off the green.

I'm excited to watch the pros tear the course to pieces and make me feel like dog **** for shooting 91 out there from the non-pro back tees.
JCA1
AG
mazag08 said:

JCA1 said:

Greens are tough if you don't hit them. And chipping is not really an option on most. You pretty much have to put up slopes if off the green.

I'm excited to watch the pros tear the course to pieces and make me feel like dog **** for shooting 91 out there from the non-pro back tees.
My chipping around the greens is usually one of the stronger parts of my game (I get a lot of practice by missing a lot of greens). It wasn't working there, as it seemed like every chip was short-sided and from an 8-foot deep valley. I'll have to try the putter next time.
CFTXAG10
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

yes just saw the password deal...ugh I need the password!!

If you subscribe to Houston Open email notifications you will get a pre-sale password on Monday morning. If you don't then you gotta wait until Wednesday.
AustinCountyAg
anyone get the password? I am supposed to receive their emails, but nothing yet
C ROC N
They got a sponsor due to the fact that some big names have committed!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.