Sign the petition to open up city owned golf courses in Austin...

1,397 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this is Austin specific, but the recent announcement by the City of Austin to open up the greenbelt hiking areas - get this - by reservations only: https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/coronavirus/2020/07/31/in-effort-to-manage-crowds-austins-barton-creek-greenbelt-will-require-reservations-for-next-5-months/

They will allow people to congregate in public parks, but have effectively closed all golf courses indefinitely. Golf courses can easily run with reservation only policies, so why exclude them? More importantly, golf is in serious demand and the city is effectively passing on revenue (by our guess - potentially 1000 rounds of golf per day amongst all 5 courses) with this restriction, and allowing the non-revenue Barton Creek greenbelt activities.

We've started a petition, which would be good to get our voices heard to open up golf. Please consider and take a moment if you can: https://austinamateurgolf.com/2020/08/01/sign-the-petition-to-open-golf-atx-courses/
Rubble
AG
They're still closed?
CapCity12thMan
AG
yes

http://austintexas.gov/department/golf-atx
Trucker 96
Had no idea they were still closed. That's insane.

In contrast, Sherrill Park in Richardson has been open nearly 50 years, and in May they set their all time record for one month. I think it was around 12,000 rounds across both courses.
Ragoo
AG
Isn't a tee time a reservation?
stick93
AG
Worst part is that you can't find a decent daily fee tee time around here without planning 3-4 days in advance. COA courses being closed, no outside play at the three Sun City courses, and Bluebonnet shutting down permanently has caused a huge supply and demand issue on the north side.
Hamburger Dan
sundaytiger13
AG
stick93 said:

Worst part is that you can't find a decent daily fee tee time around here without planning 3-4 days in advance. COA courses being closed, no outside play at the three Sun City courses, and Bluebonnet shutting down permanently has caused a huge supply and demand issue on the north side.

Dealing with the same thing. I enjoy star ranch in Hutto, but it's not nearly as good of a deal now since you don't get breakfast/lunch with the round due to Covid.
EMY92
AG
Call playing golf a protest against white privilege and the city will open the courses immediately.
E
AG
Do you have to be a resident to sign?
CapCity12thMan
AG
I don't think so - if you know someone in the austin area that likes to play golf - sign it on behalf of their best interest or something. it's just ridiculous to keep an open air sport that naturally distances people closed off, yet we are gonna send our kids back into school...I don't get it
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Holy hell, I thought our idiots in charge here in SA were pretty bad.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Wow that's insane. Not surprising at all though.
CapCityAg89
AG
stick93 said:

Bluebonnet shutting down permanently
Well. F****. I'm not in Austin any more and I KNOW it was a bit of a goat ranch, but I really liked Bluebonnet and will miss it. It helps that I have my only hole in one (#4) and personal low round (76) there, but DAMN.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Dylan Lemke, the pro from Bluebonnet Hills is now at Lighthouse GC, FYI

https://www.lighthousecountryclub.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.