Betting on PGA Tournaments

1,117 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TMan86
TMan86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone routinely bet on PGA tournaments? I never have but it seems intriguing. To my untrained eye there appears to be market inefficiencies in brand name players vs not so well known players that are extraordinarily talented.

If you do bet regularly, what strategies have you found to be beneficial? How are you handicapping the field for the PGA Championship? At what point during the tournament do you find the most effective bets?

Thanks in advance.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Oregon has legalized sports betting, so I bet pretty regularly since it is so easy.

I'm not betting a whole lot, but I've made decent returns on it because as you said, there are market inefficiencies. Lots of players way over valued and lots way under valued.

Normally I pick 4 or 5 guys to be top 10 prior to the tournament then if I'm doing well on Saturday I'll pick a couple of guys to shoot up the leaderboard and win and bet on those enough that my initial bets will hedge those. Not much more strategy than that for me.
The Lost
In Colorado.

I'll bet birdies on specific holes (pga made them take down bogey+), I think dint make the cut got axed too.

I'll keep an eye on Sunday's if it's down to 2 and can make money by betting on both, has happened several times.

Sometimes for majors I'll throw down some pre tourney, but usually not really worth it to me.
ORAggieFan
Did well this week. Won the local bar pool picking Morikawa, Koepka and Xander for about $400. Out $10 each on Hovland, Xander, Koepka and Morikawa go win it all. Morikawa cashed in for $310. $700 on $60 investment.
TMan86
AG
I leaned quite a bit from this weekend's experiment. I did a fair amount of course analysis coupled with player characteristics and rankings relative to the predominant talking head mantra of driver control and stay away from the rough. So before Thursday's round I took $100 on each of the following:
Webb Simpson 2,500/100
Morikawa 2,500
Schauffele 1,600
Rahm 1,400
Hatton 5,000
Before Sunday's final round I added $100 each on:
Casey 1,800
Champ 1,100
At one point I had three of the six leaders on Sunday. I was feeling decent about it but man it could have gone any number of ways, obviously. And obviously, my pre-tournament pick of Morikawa was the winner that netted $1,800.
The take away: I wound up watching a ton of golf over the weekend.These players are just amazingly good and I garnered a new respect for how little separates the players. I was surprised by how little the odds changed from day to day. I expected more big drops in odds for the daily leaders. In the end it was a chip in and a par 4 that fit Morikawa's shot shape perfectly that made the difference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.