Cheap Golf San Antonio

1,633 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
Ranger1743
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recs for a cheaper golf course in the San Antonio area? Trying to get better but not yet good enough to justify spending $100/round all-in for my wife and myself. I see a bunch of courses in the $33 range for green fees, plus $16/rider for a cart. Anything decent below that?
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Brackenridge. It's a muni, but one of my favorite tracks in the city.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Munis or golfnow.com hot deals are your best bet.

Brack is nice, but highest price muni and in OK shape right now, they have some dry/thin patches in a bunch of fairways that they shouldn't for that cost.

Your three best bets are willow first, best condition and more wide open, Riverside second for the same reason, then Olmos for location and ease. Mission del Lago is decent but it's a haul south and Cedar is tight and plays very slow if you aren't off early. Northern Hills is a good option too but the approach to the greens are tricky there if you are just starting back to golf.

Did y'all sign up for Alamo City Golf Trail cards? That gives you price breaks and "free" rounds if you are going to play the munis a bunch. You also get periodic emails for special deals that save you money.

https://alamocitygolftrail.com/membership/
AG
Starcke in Seguin is also "affordable" but I haven't played out there in forever. Alsation in Castroville is affordable and in good shape.
caddy
If you're looking at muni's then i would avoid riverside as they just punched their greens. Olympia Hills is another fun track that will test you.
TXAg361
AG
Played Brack 2 weeks ago, alright shape but I know they're working on some fairways right now. Also played Willow Springs recently and it wasn't too bad either. Any of the ACGT courses are good deals, especially if you sing up for the players club.
TXAg361
AG
Riverside in Floresville is affordable too. Haven't played it since May though.
SUbsbAg11
AG
River bend is my home course in floresville. Golf now usually has hot deals for less than or around 20 bucks. It's been in pretty good shape.
Ranger1743
AG
Just checked out Golfnow, looks great. Is there a reason that it's so much cheaper? I'm seeing $23 including a cart on golfnow vs nearly $50 in normal green fees for the same course. Also, do most courses actually take golfnow reservations? I had an issue in Houston where I booked a tee time and when I showed up, the front desk said they didn't use golfnow.
Matsui
AG
They take them. No worries.
TXAg361
AG
You can also get pretty good deals sometimes at Silverhorn on supreme golf
AG
Don't forget the Fort Sam courses, you can get in there too.

Forgot about Riverside and punching.
Ranger1743
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Munis or golfnow.com hot deals are your best bet.

Brack is nice, but highest price muni and in OK shape right now, they have some dry/thin patches in a bunch of fairways that they shouldn't for that cost.

Your three best bets are willow first, best condition and more wide open, Riverside second for the same reason, then Olmos for location and ease. Mission del Lago is decent but it's a haul south and Cedar is tight and plays very slow if you aren't off early. Northern Hills is a good option too but the approach to the greens are tricky there if you are just starting back to golf.

Did y'all sign up for Alamo City Golf Trail cards? That gives you price breaks and "free" rounds if you are going to play the munis a bunch. You also get periodic emails for special deals that save you money.

https://alamocitygolftrail.com/membership/

Looks like a good deal, is there any catch to the "free" rounds? 6 free green fees is not bad with all of the other perks.
AG
Usually by end of month type deal and it might not be weekends. jgh will be able to chime in here.

All depends on how much you are going to play. We are pretty well weekly and intermittent week day rounds so we buy the committed and get the ten free punches. You get points per round and after 100 pts (10 rounds) you get a free round at most courses. I walk 90% of the time so it's pretty cheap.
jgh85Ag
AG

Don't forget the Fort Sam courses, you can get in there too.

Forgot about Riverside and punching.

Read on FB that the military courses are all requiring military ID due to the surge in Covid.

Not real happy with golf now. They seem much higher since the restart. Doubt I will renew my vip membership.
jgh85Ag
AG
The six "free" rounds are good M-F, excluding holidays, and require purchase of a cart. A good deal but not exactly free.

You can also buy discounted 10 round punch cards during their black friday sale that gets the price down to $32 with cart.

I also think they are still doing double points at Mission.

I like Riverbend in Floresville. The greens are usually in good shape. Their fairways are ok. They have a weed problem at times.

Always check the Alamo City golf trail maintenance calendar. Willow was punched 2 weeks ago. Brack is due in the next week or so.

Brack is a good course but it gets beat to crap with heavy and sometimes very slow play.

Olympia Hills is usually in great shape. Probably the best municipal course in the area. Check their FB page for Sunday specials

If you are interested, I have 2 open slots for 6:48 @ Olmos on Sunday the 2nd.

A course that does not get much love is Windcrest. Usually in decent condition and is good for beginners. Fairly cheap and easy to walk. Very short par 68, 9 hole course. Just drive very slowly to the course or it could get very expensive.

FishyLamar
AG
I love Windcrest! Very short and easy to walk. Very friendly staff and you can walk 18 for like $13.
Obi Wan Ginobili

Starcke in Seguin is also "affordable" but I haven't played out there in forever. Alsation in Castroville is affordable and in good shape.

Alsatian just punched their greens three days ago. Hard pass.
AG
Forgot about that and why we moved the tournament date. You've actually positively contributed now, done for 2020.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
RIP Pecan Valley
What about Canyon Springs? Golf Now says it's $20, all you can play but they only have 14 temp greens available. It may be a cheap easy way to work on your game from tee to green. Probably not a lot of traffic either.
inozips
AG
Call Canyon Springs before going, my guess is they are still on temporary greens.

Played Starke a month a go, $24 to walk, good bang for the buck.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Canyon Springs is closed until the 15th, but they will then be open for regular operations again.

Course was using temp greens and was only 14 holes for the last couple months while they renovated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.