I know....another club fitting thread

2,807 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Texas Ag 15
b_rad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long time lurker here.
First of all, I always appreciate y'alls passion for golf and helpful tips/suggestions/knowledge. Second, I'm about to pull the trigger on getting fitted for clubs. Back in the day, I was a 6 HC but over the years with family/kid commitments, that HC grew to a 15ish. Been using the same clubs (Ping Blue Dots) since 1989. Yep, 1989. Any ways, I sure would appreciate some input on where in Houston you would go today to get fitted. I'm in the Clear Lake area, but anywhere in Houston is doable. I've seen comments made on Impact Precision, Club Champion, GolfTec, and....Swansons?
Impact Precision - Trevor or Brett?
Club Champion - Joel?
GolfTec - Johnny Lee or Darren?
Guess I'm asking what golf fitting company....and who at the fitting company you would schedule with. If you want...give me a +1, etc...for a company and name above, or a different company and fitters name. More than likely this will be the last set of clubs I buy.
Again, I appreciate any input....you all have been helpful in managing my sporadic golf game.
BUOY
AG
Impact Precision - Trevor
Mr.Bond
AG
Just make sure you go with PXGs...... Jk Jk
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag_07
AG
Impact - Trevor

I've done Club Champion and Impact with Trevor and I won't be going anywhere else if I need club fitting from now on.
07fta07
AG
RC_57
AG
Would you give us/me an example of the "sticker shock"?

Just wondering how bad it might be

Thanks
07fta07
AG
Take a normal driver price then add $200-350. Then do that for a 3 wood (and a 5w or hybrid). Irons - they order heads and shafts separate so that's an added cost as well.
Ag_07
AG
I didn't think they were that high on price.

Yeah it's more than the rack rate for a set of clubs right off the shelf but it's nothing I thought was outrageous or unfair.

If you buy from them after the fitting they'll knock the price of the fitting off the clubs.
b_rad
AG
Hey, I appreciate all the info for sure. All depends on the amount of the jacked up prices, but I'm willing to spend a "little" extra on the clubs through them since this will more than likely be my last. Now if they're really jacked up, then.....nope.
Looking to get in touch with Trevor at IP.
tandy miller
AG
Their phone number is 713) 389-5366. FWIW I also got fitted by Trevor. He knows his stuff. Highly recommend them
b_rad
AG
Thanks tm
cashag95
AG
Trevor is working on a set of Irons he fit me for last week, great guy, super knowledgeable and well worth the price of the fitting at Impact Precision. Not cheap though as everyone else has already said.
OwlAg13
AG
talked to trevor yesterday actually and thinking about getting fitted. How much should I plan on spending for new irons only?
Mr.Bond
AG
OwlAg13 said:

talked to trevor yesterday actually and thinking about getting fitted. How much should I plan on spending for new irons only?

Get fitted and buy your irons elsewhere like directly from the OEM or other sites. This will start an argument and I don't care.... But rolling/spining the shafts is pointless for 99.9 percent of people in my semi professional opinion
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Matsui
AG
Maybe try Leonard golf links
jj9000
AG
Mr.Bond said:

OwlAg13 said:

Get fitted and buy your irons elsewhere like directly from the OEM or other sites. This will start an argument and I don't care.... But rolling/spining the shafts is pointless for 99.9 percent of people in my semi professional opinion

No argument here.

Spining/Flo'ing/Pure'ing is in my opinion one of the biggest shams in clubfitting.

Back in the day when shafts weren't perfectly round it might have made sense. But, most shaft manufacturers are cranking out shafts with over 99% radial quality, meaning the shafts are near to perfectly round from the jump. I think Nippon has several lines of shafts that are over 99.5% radial quality. It's kind of interesting to see the Nippon screen printed shaft labels logo down on Tour. That tells you the shafts are installed without Spine/Flo/Pure.

People can spend their money as they choose, but I hope people aren't getting taken for their cash.
07fta07
AG
It's not only about having the shafts spined. You're getting clubs built correctly at the right length with the right swingweight. The last set of Mizunos I ordered straight from Mizuno and my 4 and 5 iron were the same length and the lofts/lies were off (yes that part is easily fixable). They're just cranking out clubs at the factory and don't have time to be perfect.

If that's not a big deal to you then yes you can find them cheaper elsewhere.
gwellis
AG
I would highly recommend getting your lofts and lies checked when your new clubs get it. You will be surprised at how bad all the big manufacturers are. They will will be 1-3 degrees off on every club. It made a HUGE difference in my titleist AP2s when I got them checked and corrected. I went to Precision Golf in Kerrville Keith Chatham. He is quirky but knows his stuff. Had Titleist Rep fit me then ordered them in then had Keith fix the lofts and lies. Amazing change.

The stats on Mizuno, Ping, TaylorMade, Calloway, etc are appalling on factory lofts and lies.
Gil '91
Mr.Bond
AG
If mizuno sent you the same length shaft for your 4 and 5 they should immediately correct it.

07fta07
AG
I got it taken care of - it's just an example of why I would rather have someone I know/trust build my clubs. It does cost more but I know what I'm getting and it's worth it to me. It certainly is not worth it to everyone and money can definitely be saved by ordering elsewhere outside of a place like Impact Precision.
Mr.Bond
AG
Glad you got it taken care of. You are correct, at the end of the day the cost is justified if it is worth it in the eyes of the user

edsel
AG
At Impact Precision, are you hitting outside off grass or is everything done indoors off a mat?
cashag95
AG
It's indoors off a mat, check out their website, they have some videos of it. www.impactprecisiongolf.com
Texas Ag 15
AG
Bumping this. Any good places in DFW people recommend? Ive seen Leonard, club champion, and golf tech as what most are saying. I got fitted with Bo at Golf Tech in Plano a few years back, and thinking of going there again for a driver fitting. I prefer hitting outside, but not sure if that's an option
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.