Recommendations for Beginner Golf Lessons B/CS

2,237 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by likestoread
PGAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a good instructor. I've played about 15 times. Any suggestions in the B/CS area appreciated.
dcrewint
What are you wanting to improve? How long do you hope to take lessons for? How do you fare with criticism?
PGAG
AG
I guess my swing in general? I wouldn't say I'd be taking lessons for over a few months. Criticism? As long as it's constructive and I see improvement I guess.
dcrewint
Public ranges are down currently.
Pebble is temporarily shut down because they laid some sod down on the range
Traditions course is possibly the only place that might have an open range
Not sure if Miramont allows non-members on for instruction.

Pros I know:
Jim Saffle (A&M) - He's been in the golf industry a good while now 20-30 years. Talked to him quite a bit but haven't been around him while he's instructing.

Rick Khalich (Briarcrest) - I'm not a big fan of his instruction, but there have been others on the board who enjoyed him.

Chad Barrum (Pebble) - He does a good job of breaking things down. Usually see him videoing his students. Talks through the lesson quite a bit.
Wendi Wiese (Pebble) - I believe her focus is junior golfers

Jim Baetge (Traditions) - Been in the golf biz awhile now as well. Knowledgeable and more "approachable" in my experience.

Have not met any other of the assistants or pros

Ranking the ones I listed
1.)Jim
2.)Chad
3.)John
4.)Rick
PGAG
AG
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Much appreciated.
La Fours
AG
Chad is no longer the teaching pro at pebble, he's now the director of membership. There's a new guy who's name is escaping me. Call the pro shop and ask about lessons. They should still be offering instruction and I think the range is back open.
La Fours
AG
The new pro at Pebble is Tim Thelen. I've heard good things from other members.
dcrewint
The comment about Chad's title is correct, however he does still do some teaching. I haven't seen Tim in action. He has a long history in the sport along with playing at a high level (especially in the champions side of things - European?)
Poot
La Fours said:

Tim Thelen as in the club pro that has played in several PGA Championships?
birdman
Poot said:

La Fours said:

Tim Thelen as in the club pro that has played in several PGA Championships?
Same guy. I think the total is nine PGA Championships.

I've taken a lesson from him. He is excellent teacher.

Chad Barrum still gives lessons.

I believe the range reopens this Tuesday.
La Fours
AG
That's the guy.
Poot
I grew up playing with a couple of ole' boys from Pasadena who used to speak very highly of him. They were good players in their own right.

The issue with finding a teacher is finding the right one though. Some are great with beginners and teaching the fundamentals of the game, where others specialize in fine tuning an already competent player (though fundamentals never go away).

Whatever you do, don't get a "package" from someone sight unseen. Make sure it's a good fit before you lock in and feel obligated because you're already invested.
PGAG
AG
I'm a long way from any tournament play. Like from here to Pluto. Appreciate all the help!
dcrewint
Looks like Thelen is moving on from the position at Pebble Creek.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Can you take a lesson from Jim if you are not a member at Traditions?
I took a couple of lessons from him 20 years ago when he had the driving range on Hwy 6, and through those two lessons, he brought me from shooting 100+ to mid-80's. Unfortunately, time and a lack of playing consistently, brought me back to my roots.
La Fours
AG
Oh really? That's interesting. I'll have to inquire about that when we get back from vacation.
likestoread
AG
Beginning in September, Tim Thelen will be at the Campus Course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.