What should I expect to pay for a fitted driver?

2,164 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stick93
cashag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got fitted for a full bag today, tried all the big name drivers, TM Sim, Cobra, Maverik, Titleist, and Ping G410....Came down to the Maverik and G410 being the best for me, and ended up going with the Ping due to the better forgiveness and tighter dispersion. Price of the G410 head was $399, but the shaft was $360....So when it's all said and done I'll be spending just shy of $800....WAY more than I thought it would be. It looks like I can buy that driver off the shelf at Golf Galaxy with one of the 4 stock shafts for $399 total....is there really enough justification to spend and extra $360 on a shaft? Should I just go try the stock shafts at Golf Galaxy and see for myself?
AustinCountyAg
I'd buy whatever shaft you got fitted for and just put your old head, or a newer used head on the shaft. IMO most driver heads within the last five years or so are all the same for the most part.
cashag95
AG
My old driver is over 20 years old, long before you could swap shafts and heads, so unfortunately that is not an option for me.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sounds like you got the shaft alright.......
Aggie369
AG
How often do you play, what's your HC, and are you getting lessons?
cashag95
AG
I'm about an 18 HCP, shooting in the upper 80's to low 90's, just getting back into golf after a long layoff now that kids are older, I expect to play 3-4 rounds per month on avg. at my local club
jj9000
AG
It's your money, so spend it as you please.

With that being said, never, ever, spend $800 on a Driver. The advancement in Driver tech over the last 5 years is minimal.

Google "Rick Shiels 5 year Driver" if you want the hard data to back up what I just said. I suggest buying a pre-owned Driver with the same shaft you got fitted for.

Mind if I ask what shaft it is?
07fta07
AG
Since it was more than you wanted to spend, see if you can go back and get fitted into a shaft with no upcharge or minimal upcharge. I would have set the expectation with the fitter that you weren't interested in a shaft with that much of an upcharge. Maybe they'll help you get into something you're comfortable purchasing.

And this is coming from someone who spent that much on a driver and 3 wood shaft (and would do it again), but I'm also scratch and play 4x that much golf. Only you can decide if it's worth it, but the nice thing is that shaft can travel to your next driver and the next one after that so it can be something you keep for a long time even when you get a new head one day.
Aggie369
AG
I agree with jj here....find what shaft it is and u can Google the details on it. Weight, flex, kick point, length...is it a low launch or high launch etc. Then u can buy a decent shaft that mimics these characteristics.

I would also look at the g400. When I got fit I actually hit the 400 better than the 410
khaos288
AG
Post the shaft you got fit into here, and we'll find one with similar specs that is either stock, or custom for way cheaper.

Here's a g400 head that already will save you a pretty penny.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-G400-9-Driver-Alta-CB-55g-Sr-Flex-Shaft-Tour-Velvet-Grip-7-10/383204310652?hash=item5938c1be7c%3Ag%3AQpsAAOSwUYRdn474&LH_BIN=1
07fta07
AG
I liked the G400 much better than the G410 as well.
AggieEyes
AG
You need to get the shaft that you were fitted for - where you purchase it is another question.

I imagine you might find that shaft a little cheaper elsewhere, but not by much.

Perhaps you can get lucky and find that head and shaft combo slightly used online?
cashag95
AG
Thanks guys, the shaft I got fitted to was a Graphite Design IZ 60g stiff, which I see on Amazon for $375 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SZNBF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5wjhFbQ0RYRAN

So here's what I did, I went to Golf Galaxy this morning and did a driver fitting and hit the G410 and Maverik again, but with stock shafts only to see if there was much of a difference. There seemed to be a difference with the Ping G410, I was not able to generate the same club speed or get the distance I was getting with the stock shafts. However, when I hit the Maverik Sub Zero with their 60g stock stiff flex shaft, I was able to get the distance I was getting with the Ping yesterday. So, I went ahead and ordered it and will apply the $360 I saved towards building the rest of my bag
Trinity Ag
S
My experience with fittings -- especially with drivers -- is that I've talked myself into clubs that perform the best statistically on good strikes, but don't pay enough attention to dispersion on bad strikes.

Fitters often don't help much because they generally discard the 1 in 5 outlier swings that muddle the data.

But what I've found is that there isn't really that much difference on the 4 in 5 solid swings -- and it is the one outlier tee shot that costs me 2+ strokes per nine.

I recently went to a stock Ping G410+ over an Epic Flash with a handcrafted shaft that was $1k all in, because misses with the Ping tend to leave me in play, and misses with the Epic put me in the hazard.

It is giving up ~5 yards distance on bombs in favor of 5-10 yards less right when I block it, which is the difference between hitting 2 out of the rough, with a shot to save par, and hitting 3 off the tee, looking at double bogey.

powerbelly
AG
I am just waiting for one more generation of ping drivers so I can pick up a used G400.
G Martin 87
AG
cashag95 said:

Thanks guys, the shaft I got fitted to was a Graphite Design IZ 60g stiff, which I see on Amazon for $375 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SZNBF9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5wjhFbQ0RYRAN

So here's what I did, I went to Golf Galaxy this morning and did a driver fitting and hit the G410 and Maverik again, but with stock shafts only to see if there was much of a difference. There seemed to be a difference with the Ping G410, I was not able to generate the same club speed or get the distance I was getting with the stock shafts. However, when I hit the Maverik Sub Zero with their 60g stock stiff flex shaft, I was able to get the distance I was getting with the Ping yesterday. So, I went ahead and ordered it and will apply the $360 I saved towards building the rest of my bag
I'm sure it will work out OK, but as you build the rest of your bag keep in mind that dispersion is as important as distance for us higher handicaps. Maybe more so. Getting a few extra yards at the expense of consistent accuracy is not a good thing.
Rubble
AG
Trinity Ag said:

My experience with fittings -- especially with drivers -- is that I've talked myself into clubs that perform the best statistically on good strikes, but don't pay enough attention to dispersion on bad strikes.

Fitters often don't help much because they generally discard the 1 in 5 outlier swings that muddle the data.

But what I've found is that there isn't really that much difference on the 4 in 5 solid swings -- and it is the one outlier tee shot that costs me 2+ strokes per nine.

I recently went to a stock Ping G410+ over an Epic Flash with a handcrafted shaft that was $1k all in, because misses with the Ping tend to leave me in play, and misses with the Epic put me in the hazard.

It is giving up ~5 yards distance on bombs in favor of 5-10 yards less right when I block it, which is the difference between hitting 2 out of the rough, with a shot to save par, and hitting 3 off the tee, looking at double bogey.

Crazy. My fitting was the exact opposite with those two heads. My misses with the Ping were exaggerated and were not bad with the Epic Flash. I also got about 10 more yards and averaged 5-10 mph more ball speed with the Epic. These numbers were using the same shaft too.
BigHitterDaLama
07fta07 said:

I liked the G400 much better than the G410 as well.
Same here.
Trinity Ag
S
Rubble said:

Trinity Ag said:

Crazy. My fitting was the exact opposite with those two heads. My misses with the Ping were exaggerated and were not bad with the Epic Flash. I also got about 10 more yards and averaged 5-10 mph more ball speed with the Epic. These numbers were using the same shaft too.
I don't discount the possibility that my swing has probably changed since getting fitted in 2017. I've played a lot of golf since then, and the shaft that "fit" then may not fit now.
Rubble
AG
Yeah. It's just crazy and shows you that every head and/or shaft works differently for everyone and why getting fit is important if you want better results.
flogmat
AG
cashag95 said:

I played competitive golf my entire life as a youngster, and played in JC before transferring to A&M. I never got fitted until about 2 months ago. I was fitted into the same shaft you were (Graphite Design IZ X-Stiff). I bet I gained 25 yards. I'm hitting parts of the fairway I've never seen before. However, I just put that shaft in my existing Titleist 915 D3.

The point is that the shaft is a huge difference maker. I'd find an older head you like on ebay, buy the shaft, and play that setup. Worked unbelievably well for me.
Aggie369
AG
I would make sure the two heads are comparable as well. Same shaft in g410 did not equal same results for me in g400. Headweight, draw bias, low launch, high launch, etc will impact how efficient the shaft is for you in each set up
07fta07
AG
Quote:

I'd find an older head you like on ebay, buy the shaft, and play that setup. Worked unbelievably well for me.

If you're going to get fit, this makes no sense to me. Now if you don't want to drop $350 on a shaft that's perfectly understandable, but tell the fitter that and find a combo that works for the price you're willing to spend. But being fit into a shaft/head combo that works and then buying that shaft and a different head defeats the whole purpose of getting fit.
flogmat
AG
Let me clarify. I was fitted into a Titleist TS3, but I don't like that head shape. So I just used the 915 D3 I already had.

If you get fitted into a Ping G410, but like the G400 head better, buy a used one with the same spec and you're set.

Point is that you don't necessarily have to buy the exact one they set you up with.
07fta07
AG
You're advocating dropping $360 on a shaft and then half assing the head into something you weren't fit into. You'd be much better off getting fit into a head with a stock or no upcharge shaft and buying what you were fit into. Again, why pay to get fit then go buy something different?

It's not my money so you do you, but I can't follow that logic.
flogmat
AG
There are people that only get fitted for shafts, you know. The poster was asking for an alternative to spending $800 on a new driver head with an upgraded shaft. I gave one that worked well for me. I got a shaft that works with my swing, in a head that I feel comfortable with. Results don't lie, and I saved approx. $400.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
so i'm pretty sure i cracked the head on my m2. it was fit with a custom shaft. do i have to go through another fitting for a new head? because i'm really not feeling that...
07fta07
AG
Call TaylorMade
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i bought the head used off a buddy. didn't think they'd be able to help me in that case?
07fta07
AG
You'd be surprised. They're replaced a ton of stuff for me and never asked for a receipt. Don't offer that info.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
much appreciated!
stick93
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I'd buy whatever shaft you got fitted for and just put your old head, or a newer used head on the shaft. IMO most driver heads within the last five years or so are all the same for the most part.

I agree with this 100%. I was playing a XR16 Pro driver. Everything was just fine but I was itching for something new. Tried a few and settled on Epic Flash. Bought the head and slapped it on my shaft. Now I can interchange these two heads and ball flight and distance is so similar it's scary. Oh well, at least I have a backup head.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.