Swing overhaul

1,490 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Na Zdraví 87
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

16 handicap. I watched this video a week ago and I do exactly what this guys is showing what not to do in the first section as far as coming over the top- being too right hand dominant. My miss is a pull , sometime with a draw sometime fade it's hard to predict. But I feel like my distances are what a teenage girl would hit. For example if hit it we'll my distances are 9iron 125 , 5 iron 165

So since then I've been to the range thrice, I'm trying to overhaul my swing to "compress" the ball more with my irons. When I get it right I can see the ball flight is more powerful. But It's definitely been a *****.

Anyone else ever done a complete overhaul on their own successfully?
Trucker 96
Depends on years of experience. I think a true overhaul is somewhere between extremely difficult to impossible for someone that has been playing this game for years. Muscle memory gets so ingrained. I do think decent-sized adjustments that can help, but I think most of those that work and stick tend to be in stance/setup/grip/weight transition vs the swing itself
bagger05
AG
In my opinion, the problem with making any significant changes on your own is that it is so hard to determine true root causes.

So while you might watch your swing and think your problem is coming over the top, a good instructor can point out the issue that's causing the problem that makes you come over the top.
Ag_07
AG
Not sure I'd call it a complete overhaul but I did a some serious tweaking on my swing a couple years ago.

I read through Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons and retooled.

I went from hitting a big sweeping slice with no distance at all to hitting a nice natural draw with some decent distance.

It did wonders
The Grinder (99)
AG
I did. I played junior golf as a kid from the age of 5 or so. My dad and later my older brother always gave me advice. I would also get lessons on and off for years in middle school.

My freshman year I was about the 5 th best freshman on my HS team. Towards the end of the year I played a tournament at the woodlands tpc course and shot 108. It just capped off a bad year and reinforced that I wasn't that good at the time. People were dogging me, saying I shouldn't play anymore.

At that point my brother was gone away to college and my dad really didn't have the knowledge to help my swing (was great though at helping mentally actually)

So I made a goal that I was going to make varsity next year and work like crazy to do it. As part of the plan I needed to do something about my swing and it was going to have to be done on my own.

My brain naturally thinks in a math way, so the solution I came up with was "improve probability... Simplify my swing". I worked on removing as many movements in my swing as possible. In a way it may have looked a little dechambeau like. My arms remained pretty inflexible, not crazy but my turn was one piece and generally I shortened up my long and fluid swing. People always liked my swing but it was prettier than functional I guess.

Anyway, I improved considerably and established myself as #1 in my class and I did qualify for a varsity tournament as a sophomore although I generally played #6 that year.

I've gotten together recently with friends from the team ask me how I made such improvement between my sophomore to junior year, but I always felt the difference was from freshman to sophomore year when I made th swing changes.

Incidentally, my swing did not remain as rigid throughout, but that fundamental move, starting my swing in unison is something I always go back to
lazuras_dc
AG
I found that if I let my swing have a natural pause at the top of the backswing i can get into the slot much easier versus before I was going up and forcing it back down very quickly and coming over the top. Just need to develop the muscle memory now. At address I get a little nervous with all the swing thoughts In my head.
Retired Principal
AG
I have watched a few of his videos.

Anyone ever toyed with David Ledbetter's "A" Swing?

I tend to get too flat and inside on my backswing which caused a lot of over swinging and moving parts in the transition.

As a 57 year old, I have been working with the A Swing. Keeps things really short and compact.

Na Zdraví 87
AG
I need to start over. I used to be a pretty good golfer years ago when I played at least twice a week. Now I play only a couple times a month and I can't get off the damn tee box with a driver any more. Damn slice.
I can't get rid of it. When I fight it, I end up with a dead pull or moon beam pull.
Help!!!!
bagger05
AG
Which of these slices is yours?

Is it I, F, or an overcooked C?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I and an overcooked C
Na Zdraví 87
AG
bagger05 said:

Which of these slices is yours?

Is it I, F, or an overcooked C?

See above
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.