F golf (new clubs)

1,538 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gigemJTH12
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In a pretty damn bad, immature, pouty mood right now.

I just now got back into golf bc of work from home starting in March(played 10 times in 10 years before that). Got back into high 80's with my old Callaway 20Xs.

A month ago I ordered Mizuno 919 Hot Metals and they finally came in yesterday. Went to the range today and it was bad..really bad.

worst part is I got back into golf and bought new stuff for trips to Torrey and Scottsdale September and October. Today was so bad I feel like I am a long ways from being anywhere close to decent by then.

Any words of encouragement?
E
AG
Shoulda bought my Fli-Hi 3 and 4 iron...

which are still for sale
powerbelly
AG
What was bad? Results or feel?

Get used to the clubs and the results will most likely follow.

Feel is more ambiguous and isn't as easily solved IMO.
gigemJTH12
AG
results really.

nothing was consistent at all and even the balls I picked up clean...the yardages were all over the place +/- 15 yards
The Milkman
AG
When I have a long layoff and dont think I have any feel, I just go to the range and hit irons at about 75% effort. Always seems to come back and then I can start adding from there.
powerbelly
AG
Did you try before ordering? Are the shafts a big change from your Callaways?

I would pick your favorite iron and work on half swings and go up from there. Try to get more used to the clubs.
gigemJTH12
AG
good tip
gigemJTH12
AG
yeah I tried a bunch of clubs at my fitting. hitting into a sim though. and it was fine..

just not today when I was actually hitting balls.
FTAco07
AG
I hit the hot metals when I was getting fitted last year and had a similar experience. My good really good strikes went a mile, good strikes were a little longer than my old clubs, and bad strikes were short and all over the place. Just keep practicing and you'll get a feel for them sooner than you think.
gigemJTH12
AG
thats exactly how it was today. my clean 7 irons were 180 and straight. Used to be 160. But man I was all over the place. Most shots were thin and really low.

encouraging words...thanks
khaos288
AG
how different are the shafts? I've got two sets and the shafts make a huge difference. I have a lot more control with a heavier shaft.
cashag95
AG
Where did you get fitted? Maybe you should go back and see if they need to make some adjustments?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Don't think these are going to work out for you ...... so how much ?
Thisguy1
If you were catching a lot of them thin, sounds like you were pulling up and not staying down through it. Probably a little excited to see what the new clubs would do.
bcanales05
AG
Hey JTH12,

I know the exact feeling. I switched from my Callaway X22's to Mizuno MP52's (blade irons).

I was so excited as I got fitted, the whole 9 yards. They arrived and I was so excited. I took them straight to the range. It was bad, I mean really bad. Like straight right and left banana hook after another.

After a few range sessions, I started to see the difference. I still play these irons to this dat and am still amazed at how great I can hit my 8 iron (160) and sometimes how bad I can hit my 8 iron (120).

Just keep at and your swing will work itself out to the club.

**If you're still totally not happy after this post, then I'll buy those Muzuno's from you** ;P
gigemJTH12
AG
thanks man! going back to the range today with only my 7 iron. thats my club so I figure I will figure that one out and get my true yardage, then use it as a benchmark so I can get back on the course.

I am not a range guy at all. I hate it.

so I need to get back on the course ASAP. But I will put in the range work until then.
bcanales05
AG
I'm not sure where you're located, but I'm in the Dallas area.

If you want to get out sometime, let me know.
gigemJTH12
AG
in Houston...I want to get in on one of the big meet ups though!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.