Traditions Club tips

2,099 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SPI-FlatsCatter 84
sarmis2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because of COVID, we decided to have our annual golf trip close to home at Traditions Club in Bryan. Unfortunately, we happened to pick the weekend a tropical storm is supposed to hit. When it rains, it pours. We are going through with the trip anyways and will try to make the most of it. 2 rounds Friday, and hopefully 2 rounds Saturday weather permitting.

I think I am one of the few in the group that has not played the course yet. The website has plenty of detail on each hole from what I've looked at. There is some money to be made, so any additional tips are greatly appreciated.
Leander - Ag
AG
It's long and wet.
Ag_07
AG
No info on Traditions Club but the further south that thing slips the less BCS area will be affected.

I think yall will be alright
dallasiteinsa02
Normal Day at Traditions

Wet Day at Traidtions

mt3950
AG
Play for position. You'll hit less than driver off of a lot of tees, depending on which yardage y'all play the course from. If you can hit short irons and wedges well, you'll have several good birdie looks.

Going for the par 5's in 2 is very risky. Mostly elevated greens with trouble all around. Pretty common on Nicklaus courses.

As mentioned above, you won't get much roll on the fairways, but along those lines, yardages play pretty true into the greens.

Good course. Have fun.
Field staff 02
The golf course is great right now. The course is playing much firmer and faster this year than previous years. In my opinion, this is a second shot course. Have fun and bring plenty of golf balls!
Poot
I'm not a particularly long hitter (270ish average maybe? but can get it out around 300 if I do it right). Even still, from the 1 ups I'm not sure I'd hit driver on any of the par 4's on the front 9. Maybe #3 and 9. You get to let loose a couple of times on the back 9, but it's still very much a position golf course overall.
htownag2007
AG
I don't hit it as far as you do, but I started playing the combo tees so that I can hit more driver off the tee without punishing myself from the maroon tees the entire day.
Poot
We played the combo tees the couple of times I've played out there. Definitely a good mix.
dcrewint
My driver game sounds like Poot's. Not a member but (have played a handful of times) my advice per hole if you want the "extra advantage"

1.) Aim toward the tree thru the fairway, maybe slightly left. No real point in trying to skirt the sand trap.
2.) Left side of green is safe. the picture of that greenside sand trap is nice and cute - but in reality that bunker or the trash around it isn't the easiest play
3.) Pretty easy hole to me, play left side of bunker(too far left and you're in the junk). Can probably take 3 wood and be fine. I'd suggest right side of green is safer than the left.
4.) Don't try to drive the green(leave that for the scrambles) Play at the tree thru the fairway.
5.) Play it as a 3 to the green par 5 , this'll put you in the right mind frame off the tee to not crush it and then find yourself in the junk or in a yard.
6.) I'm not too good at this hole. It is like a hybrid-5iron off the tee depending on who you are but I swear there's a magnet to that left fairway bunker.
7.)Big slope on the front of this green. Play to the middle of the green. Traps are pretty deep on this hole as well.
8.)Play to green in 3 par 5 again. I like to aim just left of the tree thru the fairway and draw it a tad.2nd shot favor to the right it will funnel back some.
9.) Requires a more accurate drive, but I admit I like driver on this hole, suits my eye. I just aim right bunker and bring it back with a draw.

10.) This to me is the easiest decision for a par five in 3. Play the drive to the right with hybrid or 3 wood. play the 2nd shot to the bunker on the left(trees creep in on the right) and you'll e sitting 125-140 out. Possible to get it closer down there but not really that advantageous to risk it.
11.)Cut and dry easier par3. Favor the right side.
12.)Easy par 4 if you stay away from the right side off the tee. Can use driver, but if you're good with short to mid-iron 3 wood isn't a bad choice.
13.) Dont go for it. Just pick an easy club to get it over the bunker off the tee. Pretty steep green.
14.)I like to take it over the right side of the bunker in the fairway. Driver is ok, stay away from the right side off the tee.
15.) If you have a good shot fof the tee this is probably the easiest to get on in 2. If not, stay right on the 2nd shot to give you a good look at the pin for your approach.
16.) Right side is the safe side.
17.)I suck on this hole the most. Hitting a little cut off the group of trees at the 160-140 marker is probably best. Since I'm not the world's greatest left to right player I don't typically play this hole that well.
18.)Once again you can choose to driver or 3 wood. It suits my eye once again to go off the right side of the fairway with a draw.

Best of luck out there with the weather!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Edit: day late
Trinity Ag
S
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Normal Day at Traditions

Wet Day at Traidtions

This actually isn't true since Jesse left, and Traditions got a new greenskeeper last year.

Zach does not soak the fairways nearly to the extent Jesse did.

You don't have to play lift clean & place before noon anymore, and rollout is now a thing.

And the course is in great shape, though the greens are still recovering from their last punch & sand.
jja79
AG
Why are 6 and 9 always cart path only?
sarmis2
Well the weather held out for us. We got to play all four rounds, and the course was in awesome shape.

It was an extremely difficult course for me from the blacks. The tip for putting driver away proved to be true, if you aren't in a good position off the tee you are forced to lay up. I learned this the hard way. Luckily my wedge game was on, and one of the few reasons I was able to salvage some decent scores. Hole 10 ate my lunch every single round.
Trinity Ag
S
jja79 said:

Why are 6 and 9 always cart path only?
They are open a couple of days a week, now -- but used to be straight cart path only.

The explanation I have heard is that those holes (along with the second half of 10) don't drain particularly well, and are relatively narrow, so it make sense to close them much of the time.

Traditions is always going to play soft after significant rain because it isn't sand capped, and the soil type holds water.

But the new greenskeeper has significantly improved the watering issues, and made the course more playable -- and it is in the best shape I have seen it in the 4 years I've been a member.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
To add on, 6 and the second half of 10 have very limited access/egress points.

It would detract significantly from the attractiveness of those 2 in particular

9 I've never understood but have to accept that its due to the narrowness even when we're dry.

They've done such a great job this year that I don't even care. If we could just get one nice .75-1.00" rain each of the next 2 weeks, Coach Blairs tournament is gonna be teets. Greens will be true and quick

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.