Galveston golf recs

2,447 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txislandag86
tamu2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to Galveston next week with the in laws. No way I can stay in the house all week with them so looking to take the clubs.

Any decent places to play down there.
terradactylexpress
Moody might be your only option but it consistently gets good recommendations
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Moody is on good shape right now. Front is a bit easier than the back, IMO. Fairways are premium on the back. Not a long course, but can be tight.

Galveston CC is great but private.
txislandag86
Moody Gardens is in great shape and is a fun course.
Golf1
AG
Played Moody couple years ago and loved the course. Fast greens and thick rough. Heading back in a couple weeks to play again.
Ag_07
AG
Moody or if you want to really escape and make a full day of it make the 1 hour drive to The Wilderness in Lake Jackson.

It's a top notch course for an incredible price.
Mr.Bond
AG
Moody is my favorite public course within 60 miles of Houston.... Easily
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jackie childs
tamu2009 said:

Headed to Galveston next week with the in laws. No way I can stay in the house all week with them so looking to take the clubs.

Any decent places to play down there.
another recommendation for moody gardens.

just a heads up though, we're expected to get consistent rain on the coast this week, so if you play next week, you're going to want mosquito repellent and lots of it.
Mr.Bond
AG
True. If he plays anytime after 11 the 20 mph sustained winds will help haha
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

jackie childs
Mr.Bond said:

True. If he plays anytime after 11 the 20 mph sustained winds will help haha
no kidding...i think i've used everything from a 4i to a SW on #9, just depending on the wind
bigjag19
AG
Into wind on 9 last Thursday. Left it a foot short of the green with the 5, therefore in the water. Was not amused.
Mr.Bond
AG
bigjag19 said:

Into wind on 9 last Thursday. Left it a foot short of the green with the 5, therefore in the water. Was not amused.
Brutal par 3. I have played anywhere from a PW to a 6 iron on that hole

The Milkman
AG
Another great thing about Moody is that they have 5 par 5s and 5 par 3's on the course. I love when courses break the monotony of all the par 4s.
Mr.Bond
AG
The Milkman said:

Another great thing about Moody is that they have 5 par 5s and 5 par 3's on the course. I love when courses break the monotony of all the par 4s.

Yes! I wish more courses were like this

Retired Principal
AG
I have a good Moody story for you. Great course. My son played his last high school golf tournament right before Spring Break 2020. His putting was the omen for the Pandemic. He was blistering the ball, but took 44 puts. He four putted 10. Thought he hit rock bottom until he 5 putted 11. Still shot an 86.

Mr.Bond
AG
44!?!?! Did you throw the putter into the ocean?

JCA1
AG
It's been about a decade, but we drove up to The Wilderness from Galveston one time and it was a fun track.
tamu2009
AG
Thanks for the recs. Got out and played this morning at Moody and it was everything yall billed it to be. Excellent condition even with all the rain. Fairways were still firm and the greens rolled pure. After hole 12 marshall came around and told us the super decided 90* was ok and no more CPO. Thank goodness. Shot a 76 with a ball OB on 1, a three putt on 2 and a lost ball on 10 and 14.

Uncle is a member at Houston CC and is hoping he can get his pro to get up on Galveston CC tomorrow or Friday.
Retired Principal
AG
Let me know on Galveston CC. I won a round for four in a silent auction. Looking forward to it.
Retired Principal
AG
Mr.Bond said:

44!?!?! Did you throw the putter into the ocean?
It was brutal - given the way he was hitting it. I hated that his last round ended that way. Hated that his senior year ended that way. Clear Creek High School had a chance to send both varsity teams to regionals. The top varsity team would have won district with a good shot of going to State.
My son was on the second varsity team.
Post removed:
by user
Mr.Bond
AG
third coast.. said:

There is a poster here who may or may not have a little stroke at Galveston CC. He got a few of us on a couple years back.
It was a great time

bigjag19
AG
tamu2009 said:

Thanks for the recs. Got out and played this morning at Moody and it was everything yall billed it to be. Excellent condition even with all the rain. Fairways were still firm and the greens rolled pure. After hole 12 marshall came around and told us the super decided 90* was ok and no more CPO. Thank goodness. Shot a 76 with a ball OB on 1, a three putt on 2 and a lost ball on 10 and 14.

Uncle is a member at Houston CC and is hoping he can get his pro to get up on Galveston CC tomorrow or Friday.

There is no out of bounds on 1. Play off the range or play from the neighbors front yard.
Mr.Bond
AG
bigjag19 said:

tamu2009 said:

There is no out of bounds on 1. Play off the range or play from the neighbors front yard.

tamu2009
AG
Galveston CC was fantastic but tough. Had a good strong wind all morning and that place feels pretty tight even though there are places to bail out. I kept getting stymied behind palm trees when I missed the fairway.

The greens rolled true, but I wasn't used to having to hit them a touch harder to keep them online and they lost speed. Played pretty well, shot a 81.

The one thing that I kept thinking over and over throughout the round was dammmn these greens are small.

All in all. Very enjoyable day, very enjoyable course, and the service was excellent as well. Saw the cart girl almost every 3rd hole which is always a + when it's hot outside.
Ag81Golf
Mr.Bond said:

third coast.. said:

There is a poster here who may or may not have a little stroke at Galveston CC. He got a few of us on a couple years back.
It was a great time

I would have offered to get tamu2009 on but unfortunately I could not reply. For the first time in my TexAgs history I was put in time out at "banned camp".

The two of you know I am pragmatic and most of my posts are lighthearted but sometimes forum 16 gets the best of us! And for the record I was fairly graphic in my post so it was deserved!
Ag81Golf
Glad you were able to get on! As my above post explains, I would have gladly gotten you a tee time if I had been able to respond.

Yes the greens are small so playing to the middle of the green is always best. We have the original Seadwarf Paspalum. Unfortunately it was not designed to be a "fast" turf. Seaward is no longer available and when we rebuild the greens we will be going to Platinum paspalum. Greens usually roll 8 and lucky if we can get to 10 but the tradeoff is a true roll and turf suits the high sodium content of our water supply as well as the salt air and high tides.

It is a tight course so shot placement off the tee is at a premium.

Glad to hear your comment about the beverage cart! I can't tell you how many board meetings I had where I had to pound it in everyone's head that it is a service to the members. Forget how large or small the margins, we have to have service in that area.

Thanks for visiting!
turfaggie24
AG
Headed to Galveston with the family, and looking to play Friday or Saturday. Have only mowed greens height paspalum but never played 18 on it. How do I make this happen?
txislandag86
tur***gie24 said:

Headed to Galveston with the family, and looking to play Friday or Saturday. Have only mowed greens height paspalum but never played 18 on it. How do I make this happen?
PM sent
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.