Scottsdale course recs - this weekend

3,442 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Marauder Blue 6
TxAggies2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Scottsdale this weekend to play a little golf and meet some friends out there. Unfortunately Saturday's round was booked for TPC - Champions course. I pleaded with them to change but for reasons out of my control I'm stuck there. I know it'll be nice enough but everyone I've talked to name at least 5 others before they get to TPC.

The round I get to choose is Sunday. I'm currently booked at Troon North - Pinnacle.

I'm unsure if we can fit in a 3rd round. I'm for it, but I might be the only one. If I only have control over the 2nd round, did I pick the right course or are there others that I should consider?
Rubble
AG
I played Camelback and We Ko Pa the weekend of the WMPO. Camelback was a lot of fun, We Ko Pa was fantastic. If your picking one, my suggestion is We Ko Pa Saguaro course.

Edit to say Troon is probably a great choice. We didn't play it because they were charging $400+ that weekend.
Mr.Bond
AG
Grayhawk was phenomenal
Mr.Bond
AG

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

agsalaska
AG
Dont ***** about the TPC. Its a great track.

If I could go back to one course in Scottsdale it would be either of the Greyhawk courses.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Mr.Bond
AG
More grayhawk. Played talon and raptor

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

rhtexfish
AG
Quintero
Boulders
ORAggieFan
I just got to Scottsdale. No golf this trip though. Staying at the JW.
skippytimmy
AG
rhtexfish said:

Quintero
Boulders

Throw Southern Dunes on that list, and you are golden.

Obi Wan Ginobili
Played We-Ko-Pa Seguaro (obligatory hole in one brag!) and Ak-Chin Southern Dunes. Can't recommend either enough.
Rubble
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Played We-Ko-Pa Seguaro (obligatory hole in one brag!) and Al-Chin Southern Dunes. Can't recommend either enough.

What hole at Saguaro?
Hotdog Hamblin
AG
Troon North Pinnacle is fantastic, you'll love it. Both We-Ko-Pa courses are as well. Haven't played Grey Rock but I hear its great and the pics Bond posted are self-explanatory. Wherever you go, be prepared for extremely talented cart girls.
Mr.Bond
AG
Hotdog Hamblin said:

Troon North Pinnacle is fantastic, you'll love it. Both We-Ko-Pa courses are as well. Haven't played Grey Rock but I hear its great and the pics Bond posted are self-explanatory. Wherever you go, be prepared for extremely talented cart girls.

10000 percent yes

Duckhook
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Played We-Ko-Pa Seguaro (obligatory hole in one brag!) and Al-Chin Southern Dunes. Can't recommend either enough.

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes. I played it in January. I think it had the most sand traps of any course I've ever played. A good course though. Fred Couples design.
DRE06
AG
Troon North is my favorite course in the US

WeKoPa & Grayhawk are great to

TPC is way down the list in Scottsdale, but it is fun to play a tour stop and then watch the pros play it.
Yesterday
AG
Is Scottsdale still overseeded at this point? Curious to see how the courses fair I'm the summer time. Late fall, winter and early spring are immaculate.
Obi Wan Ginobili
LantanaAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

What hole at Saguaro?

#9. 101 yards, pin was front right in the little bowl. 54* wedge spun back and to the left about 2 foot and disappeared.

Course was backed up so the group behind us got front row seats as they were waiting on the same tee box.
Mr.Bond
AG
Grayhawk is also hosting the next two years of the NCAA championships. Not saying that should sway your decision but if you're a fan of college golf it's neat to watch them play a course that you played

Rubble
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

LantanaAg said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

What hole at Saguaro?

#9. 101 yards, pin was front right in the little bowl. 54* wedge spun back and to the left about 2 foot and disappeared.

Course was backed up so the group behind us got front row seats as they were waiting on the same tee box.

Cool hole. The blip of 1 under 4 hole stretch for me.

Glad you didn't say 15, because that sucker is a beast!
agsalaska
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Grayhawk is also hosting the next two years of the NCAA championships. Not saying that should sway your decision but if you're a fan of college golf it's neat to watch them play a course that you played
A true Championship course. Probably the best in Scottsdale.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
skippytimmy
AG
agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

I have played Grayhawk at least 20 times, and more than the others I list. And Grayhawk is a great course, but to say it is better than Troon, Southern Dunes, We Ko Pa or Quintero is nuts.

Which of course is my opinion......
agsalaska
AG
skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

I have played Grayhawk at least 20 times, and more than the others I list. And Grayhawk is a great course, but to say it is better than Troon, Southern Dunes, We Ko Pa or Quintero is nuts.

Define better? What is your handicap?
terradactylexpress
You can't compare grayhawk and troon. Both are excellent courses in great condition but one is a desert course that punishes you if you miss anything and the other is a beautiful tournament course.

Both are absolutely worth playing, imo grayhawk>troon but if you could only play one in Scottsdale I'd play troon
agsalaska
AG
terradactylexpress said:

You can't compare grayhawk and troon. Both are excellent courses in great condition but one is a desert course that punishes you if you miss anything and the other is a beautiful tournament course.

Both are absolutely worth playing, imo grayhawk>troon but if you could only play one in Scottsdale I'd play troon
My thoughts exactly.

For a Vegas comparison, if you want spectacular you play Cascata. If you want tournament you play Rio Secco.

I prefer the latter. I would play Grayhawk over Troon. Just depends on your preferences. I wouldnt complain about either.
skippytimmy
AG
agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

My Handicap is ~8

Better? design, challenge, uniqueness, conditions.... experience

The first half of my career was in the golf business. Gregg Tryhus (the owner of Grayhawk and Whisper Rock) and Pacific Life (the $$ behind grayhawk) was a client of mine. Been there numerous times.

Over the last few years, Grayhawk has greatly improved their conditioning. prior to that, Grayhawk was ALWAYS a step below Troon, Boulders, etc.. in course conditioning.

By the way, Whisper Rock may be better than any listed above, but incredibly private.
agsalaska
AG
skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

My Handicap is ~8

The first half of my career was in the golf business. Gregg Tryhus (the owner of Grayhawk and Whisper Rock) and Pacific Life (the $$ behind grayhawk) was a client of mine. Been there numerous times.

Over the last few years, Grayhawk has greatly improved their conditioning. prior to that, Grayhawk was ALWAYS a step below Troon, Boulders, etc.. in course conditioning.

By the way, Whisper Rock may be better than any listed above, but incredibly private.

Fair. We are going to agree to disagree then. Grayhawk is tougher than Troon IMO.

Sounds like you had a cool first half of your career!

I lived in Vegas for four years. The golf was phenomenal. And I traveled every week to either Arizona, Seattle, or DFW. So in the summer it would be golf at Washington National or a Phoenix or DFW course during the week and Saturday morning at either Rio Secco or TPC Vegas. I really miss that job. Only time in my life I was a legit scratch player.
skippytimmy
AG
agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

My Handicap is ~8

Fair. We are going to agree to disagree then. Grayhawk is tougher than Troon IMO.

I lived in Vegas for four years. The golf was phenomenal. And I traveled every week to either Arizona, Seattle, or DFW. So in the summer it would be golf at Washington National or a Phoenix or DFW course during the week and Saturday morning at either Rio Secco or TPC Vegas. I really miss that job. Only time in my life I was a legit scratch player.
That is fine. I agree, Grayhawk is tougher than Troon.

I love golf in Vegas. While I know it is kind of tricked up, but my round at Wolf Creek is still one of my favorites.

I actually have a few business trips to Seattle, once the world comes back to normal. Would love to hear your thoughts on Seattle.
agsalaska
AG
skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

skippytimmy said:

agsalaska said:

Mr.Bond said:

My Handicap is ~8

That is fine. I agree, Grayhawk is tougher than Troon.

I love golf in Vegas. While I know it is kind of tricked up, but my round at Wolf Creek is still one of my favorites.

I actually have a few business trips to Seattle, once the world comes back to normal. Would love to hear your thoughts on Seattle.
Wolf Creek is one I never got to play. My favorite was Cascata. We played it once or twice a year when they would run specials for locals. I was there from 09-12 when Vegas was really hurting. We would buy these 12 round coupons for locals only for $500 at Rio Secco. Our alternate was TPC Vegas which IMO is the better of the two TPC courses.

Our 'home course' in Seattle was Washington National. A very difficult back in the woods golf course. It is home to the Huskies golf teams and has held several amateur championships. If you want a challenge it is a good one.

We played a couple of local city courses too that are not worth going to as a tourist. Jackson Park was nice. My biggest regret is only playing Chambers Bay once, although there is a reason for that. I was going there in 2011 and 2012 and they were closed several times getting ready for USGA events.

Chambers Bay is an incredible experience. I am not sure how to describe it exactly. I played it between the Amateur and the Open before they re did the greens(after the US Open). The greens were like concrete. Hole 1 I hit an 8 iron to the front of the green and it bounced about 30 feet in the air and ended up 30 yards long. After a rough start I finally figured out how to get the ball on the green and played really well. Shot the best 77 of my life. They have re done the greens since then and are supposedly much softer now. I would 100% recommend Chambers Bay. It is worth the drive and probably not as expensive as it used to be.
TxAggies2012
Stuck with original plan. Had a fantastic morning at TPC. Can't wait for Troon tomorrow.

Tons of people decided to go to Scottsdale for Memorial Day weekend. Great to see action, night life and fun. **** the Rona.
AustinCountyAg
bumping this thread in hopes of getting an idea of what the golf in Scottsdale is like in May? how are the courses? how much a green fees at the better courses that time of year?

Is 36 a day possible, or is the heat that bad?
Marauder Blue 6
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

bumping this thread in hopes of getting an idea of what the golf in Scottsdale is like in May? how are the courses? how much a green fees at the better courses that time of year?

Is 36 a day possible, or is the heat that bad?

May is a great time to go. By then, most of the snowbirds have returned home. Course conditions are generally great and greens fees are coming down from spring highs but not necessarily at their bottom. You can still expect $100+ at some of the better courses but must should be below that. The heat is not as bad as it would be a month or two later. If you're used to humidity, it will feel great so you have to make a point to hydrate. 36 in a day is definitely doable especially with them having no DST. You can be out in sunlight at 6am. When I resided there, we did 36 a day quite often up until July.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.