Garmin Golf Watch Stats - Insightful and Cool

893 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cjsag94
cjsag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using Bushnell watches for several years, and they were fine for giving distances and such. Switched in February to the Garmin Approach S20, and have been utilizing the Auto Shot Detection feature. I only just learned that I can log in to my Garmin Connect account on a PC and view and analyze a wealth of data.

Drive distance and dispersion graphically...approach accuracy by club and distance, actual club distances, etc.

I know there are other things like this out there...but really cool how helpful this is to go back and analyze your game. Such as being able to see that I am far and away more accurate on approach shots with my 8-iron than any other club.

Cool tool for us golf geeks that like this stuff.
giddings_ag_06
AG
My wife got me one for Christmas the year before last and at first I used it for all the data, but a lot of times I use different clubs that can throw average distance off and wind could have a major affect on club choices. I pretty much now strictly use it for distance and keeping my score. I do like it and think it's handy though. I have a ton of rounds that I haven't uploaded though and may do that this weekend and see what it says compared to what I've been playing.
jonj101
I'm considering getting back into tech toys for golf, even though I got burned a while back.

I bought the Garmin Approach S1 when it first came out years ago. Although basic it was a great piece for its time and was pretty accurate for basic distance, etc. I wore it until the band snapped on it.

Afterwards I got the device that made me quit looking into tech for golf - the Motoactv. This watch came out around 2011 and 2012 and was so far ahead of its time it had some features that are just now available on other smart watches today. It could recommend clubs based off of distance, give all distances to hazards, sync with everything else, etc. After your round, you could login to your account and look at a map of the course and see where all of your shots took place. It even had other forms of fitness tracking and could hold plenty of music. Well from what I understand, Google came in and bought Motorola Mobility and killed the tech. Website was taken down and we were left with a watch that wasn't anywhere near what it once was.

Since then I've thought about jumping back into the watch game as well as getting a top notch range finder. But I've never pulled the trigger. The S62 looks interesting with wind speed and direction capability.
cjsag94
AG
That's definitely a concern with many things tech. I bought mine for the basic functionality it offers, but have found these other useful features. To me that basic functionality was well worth the price, so unless it loses that, I'd be fine.

I just looked back and saw I bought mine for $145 on Amazon in February, looks like they are quite a bit more now ($180 at golf galaxy), but still reasonable. Problem with spending $500 (for something like S62) is now you are in full smart watch category and not tied to one manufacturer's capabilities. And that would sting a bit more of Garmin stops support.

Especially for iPhone users, the apple watch pairs with various golf GPS apps to provide much of the same functionality.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.