Bronson Burgoon

2,306 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agsalaska
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go to AggiePark.com and watch the virtual presentation/Q&A with Bronson from yesterday's virtual luncheon. Click on "Upcoming Events". If it is no longer there, click on "Past Events".

Bronson is a really good guy. He talks about life on Tour and what his days are like now. Logan Richter, a San Antonio Aggie who is a really good golfer and appears to know Bronson, is the moderator and does a good job. It is worth the time.
Mr.Bond
AG
My first ever high school tournament (I was a freshman) I was paired with him.....I was the #1 at a Podunk country school. I have never been more intimated and in awe in my golfing life, dude shot at least par if not better and I came up with a whopping 85 lol. I knew right then I would never be more than a recreational golfer.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

SW AG80
AG
In this interview, Bronson said he shot 65 when he was 12 years old. Sounded like it was at the TPC Woodlands course.
Poot
My brother was a good junior golfer in his own right (played collegiately at West Point). Bronson (a year younger than my brother) showed up one day and was the most confident little 37 on 9 hole shooting 10 year old you've ever seen. He's always had that "it" about him.
Duckhook
AG
Will be fun to follow his career.

In light of some of the comments about him as a young golfer, it just shows what a fine line there is between a journeyman pro and a pro who becomes a recognizable name. A guy on my HS team won district when he was a freshman and I was a senior. He went on to play at UofH at the same time Couples was there, and then played on the tour sporadically for a number of years. I played with him a number of times when he would come back to my hometown, and we would wonder how he could barely scratch out a living on tour.

This isn't meant as a criticism of Burgoon. The comments about him as a young golfer just made me think about my similar experience with someone else. Maybe Burgoon will become that household name.
lazuras_dc
AG
Awesome I still remember hearing/reading about him sticking the approach to lock up the title for A&M!
Aggie369
AG
Played against Bronson in highscool

Rainy day...never seen the course before and i shot 77. Was thinking i might try to walk on golf team and help out with grades and practice a bit. Bronson teed off in the afternoon.....he shot a course record 61. Needless to say I didnt pursue walking on lol
Deluxe
AG
The greater Houston area hasn't produced many golf prodigies in recent history. Cory Whitsett went to Bama and won a few titles but his game doesn't really fit on tour. Connor Black was winning every junior tournament in sight for a few years but seemed to burn out when he got to A&M. There were a few other guys when I was in high school that I thought had a chance to make a run at the pros (Lance Lopez, Casey Clendenon and Randy Lowry) but none of them made it either. Bronson seems to be the only one to make it over the hump.

Bronson was #1 as a freshman on a pretty stacked Woodlands HS team. Shot 61 in the state tournament and was an AJGA all american before heading to A&M. I read that he got a little too into "body building" in the A&M strength and conditioning program his first couple years but found his game and led the Ags to a natty.

Suffered through some injuries and took a little time to make it onto the big tour, but I think that's pretty normal. Guys like Spieth/JT who win as 21 year olds are the exception, not the rule. Bronson seems to be doing well now. He's working w Pablo Del Olmo and seems to be centered around family life w his wife and kid. I see him occasionally at Woodlands Country Club. I think he rotates his practice between WCC, Carlton Woods and Blue Jack. Living a pretty good life if you ask me!
SW AG80
AG
DuckHook, were did you grow up? I played against a guy growing up who played at UH and roomed with Couples (and Jim Nantz). Wondering if you grew up in west Texas?
Duckhook
AG
SW AG80 said:

DuckHook, were did you grow up? I played against a guy growing up who played at UH and roomed with Couples (and Jim Nantz). Wondering if you grew up in west Texas?

Rio Grande Valley.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Duckhook said:

SW AG80 said:

Rio Grande Valley.
So just a typical TexAgs Golf Forum 5 iron distance from West Texas.
CyclingAg82
AG
Deluxe said:

The greater Houston area hasn't produced many golf prodigies in recent history. Cory Whitsett went to Bama and won a few titles but his game doesn't really fit on tour. Connor Black was winning every junior tournament in sight for a few years but seemed to burn out when he got to A&M. There were a few other guys when I was in high school that I thought had a chance to make a run at the pros (Lance Lopez, Casey Clendenon and Randy Lowry) but none of them made it either. Bronson seems to be the only one to make it over the hump.

Bronson was #1 as a freshman on a pretty stacked Woodlands HS team. Shot 61 in the state tournament and was an AJGA all american before heading to A&M. I read that he got a little too into "body building" in the A&M strength and conditioning program his first couple years but found his game and led the Ags to a natty.

Suffered through some injuries and took a little time to make it onto the big tour, but I think that's pretty normal. Guys like Spieth/JT who win as 21 year olds are the exception, not the rule. Bronson seems to be doing well now. He's working w Pablo Del Olmo and seems to be centered around family life w his wife and kid. I see him occasionally at Woodlands Country Club. I think he rotates his practice between WCC, Carlton Woods and Blue Jack. Living a pretty good life if you ask me!
I know you are referring to greater Houston area golfers. And Cameron Champ (who grew in NorCal) is not in this group, but is a member at Carlton Woods as well.

He has won twice in the early season events on the PGA Tour. I follow him and Bronson. I will never forget Bronson's clutch shot to tap in distance to win the Natty in 2009.

Champ, when he gets the consistency down will be a huge success on tour. Both of them seem like great guys.
agsalaska
AG
Should be downwind.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.