Postable Round

1,848 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
REMARCH11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a question for you guys

Lets say for example you are out playing a round and you are playing well, you hit a 2nd ball on the 16th hole, with a different club than your 1st shot, with the intention of not playing that ball, do you still consider this a legal round and do you post your score?
Mr.Bond
AG
Yes. I've dropped balls and re hit chips, Wedges, putts for practice more than once in a round. Maybe be taboo but I don't care.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

REMARCH11
AG
Thanks Bond. Had a good round the other day and I ended up posting, Kinda wish I hadn't.....dropped my handicap over a full stroke!
Mr.Bond
AG
REMARCH11 said:

Thanks Bond. Had a good round the other day and I ended up posting, Kinda wish I hadn't.....dropped my handicap over a full stroke!

It's supposed to go the other way!! Lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

07fta07
AG
If you're looking at a simple thing like that to not post a good score, you're a sandbagger. So yes, post it.
E
AG
I didn't realize this was taboo. As long as you play your first ball, I don't see anything wrong with playing a second shot for practice and posting your final score using first ball.
REMARCH11
AG
07fta07 said:

If you're looking at a simple thing like that to not post a good score, you're a sandbagger. So yes, post it.
I play with guys on both ends of the spectrum. I have played with with some guys that if the course is set up any differently than what the scorecard says,even if it's a tournament, it's not a legal round.

I generally post everything, I was just curious what y'all thought.

I played a couple of weeks back and ended up joining a couple of friends of mine on the last 2 holes I had been playing from the tips and they were playing 1 up. I do admit, I did not post that round, I birdied 18 but it's a very different hole from 1 up vice the tips.
07fta07
AG
REMARCH11 said:

07fta07 said:

I play with guys on both ends of the spectrum. I have played with with some guys that if the course is set up any differently than what the scorecard says,even if it's a tournament, it's not a legal round.

Then they never post any scores as no course is ever set up 100% on what the scorecard says. This is just their justification to themselves for being sandbaggers.
Quote:

I played a couple of weeks back and ended up joining a couple of friends of mine on the last 2 holes I had been playing from the tips and they were playing 1 up. I do admit, I did not post that round, I birdied 18 but it's a very different hole from 1 up vice the tips.

If you aren't going to post what you actually shot, the rule is you take par on the last 2 holes and post it (unless you were to get a stoke on one of the holes - then you post bogey for that hole).
07fta07
AG
And I can't say this enough...This is why I hate net games. Here's multiple examples in just a couple posts of how people justify to themselves why they don't have to post their scores (and none are legitimate).
Rubble
AG
How about this one. You play two balls completely separate from each other for the entire round. Would you post 1, 2, or no scores for that day?
Trucker 96
I do that quite a bit. I keep track of the first ball and post the first one. It's the one that is the first tee shot. Also, once I reach the green, it's the ball I always play first and go ahead and finish out the hole before going over to finish the 2nd. There's definitely an advantage gained by the 2nd tee shot and reads of the green, which is why I don't count both. Forget handicapping or not, I don't see that 2nd ball as a legit score at all. When I'm like "I think this should be a 6 iron" on the par 3, airmail the pin, then hit 7 on the 2nd ball, no way is that 2nd ball legit.
Mr.Bond
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I do that quite a bit. I keep track of the first ball and post the first one. It's the one that is the first tee shot. Also, once I reach the green, it's the ball I always play first and go ahead and finish out the hole before going over to finish the 2nd. There's definitely an advantage gained by the 2nd tee shot and reads of the green, which is why I don't count both. Forget handicapping or not, I don't see that 2nd ball as a legit score at all. When I'm like "I think this should be a 6 iron" on the par 3, airmail the pin, then hit 7 on the 2nd ball, no way is that 2nd ball legit.
Good points here.

Rubble
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I agree with this. I hardly ever play 2 balls (only when I'm solo), but I only post the first one off the tee.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I only do it solo, usually twilight. The 2nd ball is helpful for pacing myself vs spending more time waiting on groups in front of me. And there are times when I may just pick it up, only play 1 for a few holes, etc. But I post that first ball. And I post any other actual round
REMARCH11
AG
I agree with a lot of the points here. I try, to the best of my ability to get the most accurate Handicap I can. Personally I can't stand sandbaggers. I've played to many rounds where I've been paired against a 7 handicap and he's shooting even par, with a solid chance at breaking par.

I just started a new league at my club, it's gross only. No handicaps, and skins are birdie or better only. It's a small group, but it's far more rewarding to play well and get your money back, plus some.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and 07, I honestly had no idea about finishing out that way. Thanks for the heads up.
Trucker 96
I played in a Saturday and Sunday money game for several years (usually between 12-20 guys with a block of tee times - and not big $$$, each guy contributed $20 to the pot), and one of the rules we had was that the only rounds that counted in your index used for our game were those money game rounds. And if you were new to the group, you had to play 5 rounds before you established our version of your index. That definitely put a damper on sand-bagging. So if you have a league you are starting, you might consider starting to track just what people are shooting in your league games in case you do want to implement a net at some point.
REMARCH11
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

I played in a Saturday and Sunday money game for several years (usually between 12-20 guys with a block of tee times - and not big $$$, each guy contributed $20 to the pot), and one of the rules we had was that the only rounds that counted in your index used for our game were those money game rounds. And if you were new to the group, you had to play 5 rounds before you established our version of your index. That definitely put a damper on sand-bagging. So if you have a league you are starting, you might consider starting to track just what people are shooting in your league games in case you do want to implement a net at some point.
That's a good idea. I only had 9 players in this group, so the pot was only 180, I paid 20.00 to the low gross winner and the rest of the 160 was in the skins pot. Skins ended up being 32 each so it was a good day. If all the skins get cut, then the pot will roll to the following weekend. I also limited the group to 7 handicaps or less.

If a players wants to come out and join us, he just needs to realize that its straight up, no handicaps. Also, all putts have to be holed, no gimmes, not even from 3".

The main idea behind the formation of this group was to help players get better by playing true tournament type rounds. There are only about 15 -20 of us at my club that continually complete against one another. There are some out liars that can post some low rounds but they are few and far between.
Trucker 96
Yep, we holed everything out in that game too. When I first joined it, I was a little concerned about pace because I like to play fast. But it was a really good group in that regard.
REMARCH11
AG
I hear ya! I was concerned about that too. Pace was good, real good. I like to play fast as well.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Yeah, I only do it solo, usually twilight. The 2nd ball is helpful for pacing myself vs spending more time waiting on groups in front of me. And there are times when I may just pick it up, only play 1 for a few holes, etc. But I post that first ball. And I post any other actual round

Solo rounds aren't supposed to be posted, but I do it anyway as well.
gman-79
AG
Not to change the subject ReMarch, but what did you do to fix your elbow problems?
Trucker 96
yeah, I'm honest enough that I know what I'm posting is legit. I play a lot of solo twilight golf and feel like leaving them out would actually be more shady.
Yesterday
AG
I don't think anyone will object to you lowering your handicap. If I'm by myself I don't count the score per USGA handicap rules and therefore I'll drop two balls, take a few putts etc.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a good idea and practice
oldschool87
AG
03ki11erAG said:

I don't think anyone will object to you lowering your handicap. If I'm by myself I don't count the score per USGA handicap rules and therefore I'll drop two balls, take a few putts etc.

This makes no sense at all...

The entire game of golf is about integrity and self imposed penalties. Why on earth can you not play 18 by yourself and post a score???

The only person your cheating is yourself.

My rounds by myself or in a fan attended tourney are identical. I might hit extra chip shots. And my B player could go on tour. But the A score is always holed and counted...
Yesterday
AG
oldschool87 said:

03ki11erAG said:

The entire game of golf is about integrity and self imposed penalties. Why on earth can you not play 18 by yourself and post a score???

My rounds by myself or in a fan attended tourney are identical. I might hit extra chip shots. And my B player could go on tour. But the A score is always holed and counted...

Don't yell at me. Yell at the USGA. I don't care what you post. I'm just following the handicap rules.
ORAggieFan
oldschool87 said:

03ki11erAG said:

It may not make sense, but it's the USGA rules. Personally, I'd post, but I get people following the rules.

What's silly to me is none of the people I'm playing with attesting my score anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Handicaps aren't what they used to be for many of us not part of private clubs.

I actually see more people being what I term "reverse sandbaggers". The ones who won't post their bad scores because of whatever excuse, rarely putt out, etc. I'm never buying these guys in the calcutta.
adairtexas
You can post if you are just playing but you cannot hit a practice shot of any kind in a tournament round. As long as you are counting that first shot, good or bad and play out that ball. Post it.
Yesterday
AG
ORAggieFan said:

oldschool87 said:

03ki11erAG said:

It may not make sense, but it's the USGA rules. Personally, I'd post, but I get people following the rules.

What's silly to me is none of the people I'm playing with attesting my score anyway, so it really doesn't matter. Handicaps aren't what they used to be for many of us not part of private clubs.

I actually see more people being what I term "reverse sandbaggers". The ones who won't post their bad scores because of whatever excuse, rarely putt out, etc. I'm never buying these guys in the calcutta.
The ole vanity handicap? Yes, they're often the ones wondering why everyone is a sandbagger. scores tend to go up when you have to make the five footers.
Trucker 96
Quote:

What's silly to me is none of the people I'm playing with attesting my score anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
Same here and part of my logic for posting my solos.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Exactly. These guys are great to play against in money games.
Yesterday
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Quote:

What's silly to me is none of the people I'm playing with attesting my score anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
Same here and part of my logic for posting my solos.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.