Reshafting... Going from graphite to steel... is this possible?

1,031 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieEyes
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My friend's dad passed away and he wants me to have his golf clubs (his dad was left handed and I am too). Anyway the irons are Ping i20s and they are graphite. Is it a possibility to reshaft these to steel? I assume the heads of the clubs are pretty light and would need a lot of weight added to make their swing weight good.
'03ag
Yes it's possible. Just have to buy the proper tip size. They'll have to be swing weighted but that's not a big deal.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ok! That's awesome. I would love to play them. I was quite honored they wanted me to have them.
AggieEyes
AG
If its your usual flex why don't you just try the graphite out first?
irish pete ag06
AG
AggieEyes said:

If its your usual flex why don't you just try the graphite out first?
I am a remotely high swing speed player, so I don't think graphite would be my thing.
Trucker 96
Don't knock it til ya tried it. Graphite shafts in irons have come a long long way, although it sounds like what are in it ow wouldnt work
1208HawkTree
AG
If they came from the factory with graphite shafts, the head weights are matched to the shaft weight, so putting in a shaft that is possibly twice as heavy will throw off the swingweight a ton. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's very hard to get it right. If you're wanting to try it, do just the 6 or 7 iron and go hit it. Then hit it again a few days later. Compare it to your current club(s) and proceed from there.
irish pete ag06
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Don't knock it til ya tried it. Graphite shafts in irons have come a long long way, although it sounds like what are in it ow wouldnt work
Yeah I tried it. Felt like I was swinging a fly swatter.

I'm going to explore the re-shafting.
AggieEyes
AG
Slow it down you young whipper snapper!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.