Scotty Cameron vs. Fake who wins?

2,340 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hamburger Dan
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fake Scotty Wins!

I've said before I would never buy a Scotty. He's no different than a Chinese counterfitter. I wouldnt buy a fake either.

The study shows fake (lighter head) performed better on longer putt. I believe this and I feel today's heavier putters don't help with lag putts.
Obi Wan Ginobili
This isn't really front page news. People know for the most part that a putter is a putter. If you suck at putting with a box set putter, you're going to suck with a $400 dollar Scotty.

I disagree with you on the weight comment. I used to game a Scotty Newport 2.5 and switched to a Taylormade Spider Mini about 6 months ago. My putting got better nearly instantly, and with practice I've dropped even more strokes from my handicap. The heavy weight is the reason why.

With my Scotty, I couldn't bring the putter back and through the ball on the same line. It was too light. I would bring the putter back outside the line and back to the ball inside the line. I also struggled with long putts because I couldn't gauge how hard to swing.

Switched to a mallet and the weight keeps my hands from moving as freely on the backswing. I've eliminated that variable from my putting stroke completely. Now I just focus on how far back to bring the club to get the right distance.
powerbelly
AG
I tend to like heads 330g or lighter on a 33 or 34 inch putter. I haven't liked a scotty since the original TEI3 run.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The weight comment is in the study and there was another study with a similar result. Sure, too light of a putter is a different story.

But there's a reason why "heavy putter* never took off.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Quote:

The fake Scotty Cameron is significantly lighter, and that may be of benefit on longer putts.
This is the direct quote from the article. That's not scientific proof. It's literally an opinion, a guess.

You're saying lighter putters are better for lag putting and using anecdotes as evidence. I think it's completely dependent on the golfer and heavier putters (like a mallet) provide a benefit.
powerbelly
AG
Mallets can be the same weight as a blade but can benefit a player more from the weight distribution and stability vs a blade. Often it has zero to do with the weight.

Mallet =/= heavier.
Obi Wan Ginobili
AggieDruggist89 said:

From Golf.com

Quote:

Thirty golfers in the top 50 of Strokes Gained: Putting so far in 2020 opt for mallet-style putters, including 7 of the top 10.

Whatchu mean they "never took off"??
jj9000
AG
There was a thread on this subject right around when the MGS piece was published.

Around 3 years ago.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

From Golf.com

Quote:

Thirty golfers in the top 50 of Strokes Gained: Putting so far in 2020 opt for mallet-style putters, including 7 of the top 10.

Whatchu mean they "never took off"??

There is a putter brand heavy putter that weighed more than 400 grams. Not talking about Mallet.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Quote:

The fake Scotty Cameron is significantly lighter, and that may be of benefit on longer putts.
This is the direct quote from the article. That's not scientific proof. It's literally an opinion, a guess.

You're saying lighter putters are better for lag putting and using anecdotes as evidence. I think it's completely dependent on the golfer and heavier putters (like a mallet) provide a benefit.

Nah dude..

Heavier putter performs better on short putts less than 10 foot And longer putts.. Like 15 to 25ft, lighter putter works better. Super long putts like 35 feet plus... That just depends on the golfer.
jonj101
I've heard that there are a number of factors in heavier vs lighter - including stroke tempo, green speed, etc.

I think it comes down to the point that aside from a few fundamental points, putting is personal.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Precisely why I bag three putters. No way I'm getting caught with the wrong club in my hand.

Everyone knows: drive for show, putt for dough.
dc509
AG
The only thing worse than people who have a Scotty (I have one) are the people who feel like they have to tell you why they don't. Congrats, bro.

Hamburger Dan
My Scotty is a 2003 Newport model. I got it new. I have regripped it many times over the years. It's lighter than today's models and I have lately added a little lead tape. I couldn't imagine using another putter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.