I forgot how to chip

3,716 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by G Martin 87
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Welp, looks like last week I developed a case of the chipping yips. My last two rounds and two trips to the range in the past couple weeks, it seems like all my chip go 75 degrees to the right....

What are some drills or practicing you have done to get rid of the yips? Should I just not practice or warm up with chipping and focus on hitting bombs?? Should I just say eff it, give up any golf cred I have left, and just get a square strike??

bodaciousbood14
AG
Do you have the yips with your wedges? I used a 7-iron around the green for over a year because I could never figure out how to hit a wedge around the green.

I also started watching Phil Mickelson's chipping videos on Instagram and they have actually helped me around the green.

I'm a 20 hdcp just fyi so I have no business giving tips but just telling you what worked for me.

Good luck.
E
AG
Yep, it's with the wedges

Anything say 60 yards and under goes immediately right.
REMARCH11
AG
E said:

Here is simple shot/drill to work on.

1. Pick the wedge you are most confident in (I know you're having issues now) but pick the one that when your wedge game is on, is your go-to.

2. Place the ball toward the back of your stance.

3. Bring the club head inside and take your hand straight to your target.

4. Concentrate on hitting down on the ball, almost like clipping it.

5. Start with short shots, meaning bumping the ball maybe 3 yards.

6. Once you are making good contact and the ball is online and has a good flight, start lengthening your swing.

Keep it simple, open the stance slightly and work with your shoulders only. Hands stay firm, don't release early.

If I had to bet, your releasing your hand early and decelerating.

Hope this helps.
AggieEyes
AG
Watch this guy...

I've turned into a chipping phenom.

Deluxe
AG
Some good insight here too:

Shelton98
AG
What you have is not called the yips... there's a much worse word for it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
1. Keep your head and spine steady.
2. Weight on left foot.
3. Ball in front of right big toe.
4. Swing the club with left arm. Arm not hand, or forearm.
5. What was under the ball? Keep your eye on the spot the ball was sitting on once the ball is gone.
dcrewint
I would suggest videoing your shots. Or have a teaching pro do that for ya and then break down what you do vs. what you need to do instead.

Without seeing the shank (call it what it is - stand up against Voldemort) I'd suggest focusing on that first split second of the downswing. This is a little easier than having a 12 step plan. Also, I've not looked at the video links there might be something there. If you live in C.S. I can take a look.
dcrewint
I take it back CPG's advice is golden....
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
This one was a bit of a revelation for me:

YMMV, but the helpful part for me was letting your body get involved and not using the "putting stroke" and associated set up.

I've been chipping much better since putting some of the old myths (referenced in the video) to bed.
Deluxe
AG
dcrewint said:

Promoting "turf first" contact is key
Poot
What else are you supposed to do when the greens are that slick?

CPG is the best.
Poot
Good video.

I agree that involving the body is always a good idea. Only exception is putting.

Along those lines, putting is the only time I think "keep your head down" is ever a good idea. To me, "head still/level" is a better idea because "head down" locks up the neck/shoulders and limits rotation.
Buford T. Justice
AG
There is absolutely nothing wrong with relying on your 7 or 9 irons to get you to the hole. I finally swallowed my pride and leave the high degree wedges in the bag unless I'm in a dire circumstance that calls for a 56+.
Buford T. Justice
AG
The bump and run is your friend.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Deluxe said:

dcrewint said:

Promoting "turf first" contact is key

I didn't see the video but thats my intention in chipping. I actually try to hit the ground under the ball with the bounce of the club, mostly. And not the ball with the club face.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I actually Texas wedge it with hybrid. Helps with irregular fringe.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I do as well. I learned that from an episode of Ken Venturi's "stroke saver" session during a CBS broadcast in the late 80's. Back then it was with a 3 wood.
Forum Troll
AG
If you are shanking chip shots, you probably have an outside takeaway. Easier to make up for in a full swing since there is more time for compensation.
E
AG
Thanks for all the advice! Once it stops raining and my back isn't hurting, I'm definitely gonna go to the range and work on some of the drills that y'all suggested.

It's definitely the 25-70 yard chips and pitches that I'm shanking. Anything over like 75% swing I'm fine, but slower tempo stuff I'm hosed...
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Not a teaching pro so take my advice accordingly.

I generally try not to mess with tempo or swing speed as much as possible. If I need to dial down under ~100, I modify the length of my back swing. Get under about 85, I open the club face a bit. Get under about 75, I start to choke up on grip. But I almost never try to alter my swing speed/tempo to a significant degree.
Icecream_Ag
S
Have you tried this???
RoosterAg12
AG
AggieEyes said:

Watch this guy...

I have always been a punch it with a 7 iron or putt it from right off the green because my chipping was awful. Saw this video a while back and it has changed my game completely. Good watch.
RoosterAg12
AG
AggieEyes said:

Watch this guy...

I have always been a punch it with a 7 iron or putt it from right off the green because my chipping was awful. Saw this video a while back and it has changed my game completely. Good watch.
WhoopN06
Chipping and pitching is the only good part of my game. How ironic.
austinag1997
AG
E said:

Been there... and am now. Chip with an 8 iron. More consistency than with a wedge. Likely opening up your club face. Driving range.
austinag1997
AG
REMARCH11 said:

E said:

Here is simple shot/drill to work on.

1. Pick the wedge you are most confident in (I know you're having issues now) but pick the one that when your wedge game is on, is your go-to.

2. Place the ball toward the back of your stance.

3. Bring the club head inside and take your hand straight to your target.

4. Concentrate on hitting down on the ball, almost like clipping it.

5. Start with short shots, meaning bumping the ball maybe 3 yards.

6. Once you are making good contact and the ball is online and has a good flight, start lengthening your swing.

Keep it simple, open the stance slightly and work with your shoulders only. Hands stay firm, don't release early.

If I had to bet, your releasing your hand early and decelerating.

Hope this helps.

Actually, that is really good advice. Nice.
G Martin 87
AG
I just switched to a different ball this week, so now I have to relearn my rollout distances.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.