Memorial park houston

4,754 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RustyBV
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know when they will reopen?
jonj101
How is it Gus Wortham has been open, but Memorial Park has been shut down?
Ag_07
AG
Gus is not run by the City of Houston. It's run by HGA

As far as Memorial I'm guessing they milk this down time as long as they can and keep traffic off the course in preparation for the Houston Open.

Honestly I see this as a blessing in disguise for Memorial and the Houston Open.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07 said:

As far as Memorial I'm guessing they milk this down time as long as they can and keep traffic off the course in preparation for the Houston Open.

Honestly I see this as a blessing in disguise for Memorial and the Houston Open.

I agree with that, should look fantastic once it reopens, always been my favorite track old and redesign in Houston. Just really want to play it again.
jonj101
Gotcha - forgot about that.
K Bo
AG
Looks like they've made a good deal of progress on the clubhouse/locker room facilities. If I had to guess the course won't be open til after the tourney but possibly the range will open in it's limited capacity. I'm assuming that since they haven't started tearing down the back nets/tennis courts they're not expanding the range before the tourney.
Deluxe
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's a good point about the Houston Open. Seems like they've got a chance to make a good first impression with some top tier players who will be tuning up for The Masters. Guys who probably wouldn't drop in if it was just a normal fall series event. Any little bit of help getting the course in prime condition could pay dividends.
JYDog90
AG
Have you heard anything about them trying to groom it differently now that it's a tune up for the Masters?
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Imagine the feeling of relief you have if you are given another year on a project like this.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Exactly, basically have a built in 6 month no play excuse to get it looking great!!
E
AG
No excuses now for not having nice greens....

I like how the last couple months they finally started giving away divot tools.
Ag_07
AG
I've never been worried about the greens. Since the redo they've always rolled pretty well.

They were a bit on the slow side but were recent getting quick and were really tough at holding approach shots.

It's the tee boxes and fairways that needed the down time.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The greens are very hard but grass was still naive so they never challenged the speed and left them longer. With the months of no play and good spring and summer growth they can get them running for sure. And with some of the new green contours some of those greens are going to be a nightmare
terradactylexpress
Agreed on the difficulty holding but they did look like a $25 Muni with the number of craters on them. They need to get far more aggressive on players not repairing divots
tbone94
AG
I was thinking the same thing. I jogged the trail last week and it's looking awesome. Lack of cart traffic is helping greatly. Compaction from carts is very detrimental. Especially as it appears on TV.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
it was cartpath only up until it closed and to my understanding was going to be that way at least through the tourney if not longer. They should have just waited until about now to open to the public, the grass simply wasn't ready but they didn't have a choice.
Really is a blessing for the tourney, income no so much.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Open the damn range already. Have people hit from every other spot. Cant believe that cash cow is still shut down.
Trucker 96
For a long time now I've wished low and mid level public courses would ditch bunkers entirely and instead invest the labor in someone that goes thru the course at twilight and repairs the ballmarks left by all the dickwad hacks. They cast a shadow and really stand out at that time of day
RustyBV
AG
Open the driving range por favor
terradactylexpress
Agreed it should be incredibly easy to social distance at that range. Close every other bay
Aggie1391
Course opens June 1st. Tee times are available to book now
E
AG
AggieEyes
AG
Is the tee time booking site down?
98Ag99Grad
AG
range back to normal as well?
Ag_07
AG
AggieEyes said:

Is the tee time booking site down?

I got in but nothing like not even singles available and only lets you select dates up to June 10
AggieEyes
AG
Same here, it can't be sold out that quickly.
ElCheAg
AG
Before they closed down, the website would only let you book 3 days in advance.
Aggie1391
You guys might be trying the wrong site. There are plenty of tee times available and you can book up to 30 days in advance now.

https://www.houstonmunigolf.com/copy-of-weekday-tee-times-day-of-3
K Bo
AG
Looks like they have four tee time booking options now:

- Weekday, 3 days out
- Weekday, 4-30 days out
- Weekend, riding
- Weekend, walking

Might have to update your bookmarks
AustinCountyAg
I suck at doing the whole online deal, but if you guys ever get a round during the week and have an open spot I'd be willing to join.
the last of the bohemians
Gus Wortham > Memorial
...in terms of enjoyable to play and more unique and variety of holes
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ag_07
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

Gus Wortham > Memorial
...in terms of enjoyable to play and more unique and variety of holes conditions and green speed

That is the only thing Gus has on Memorial and that will no longer be the case once Memo fully grows in and catches up
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
After two months with no play in prime growing season I'm assuming it's going to be stunning
terradactylexpress
I played right before the shutdown and even then it was better than gus
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.