Indoor Golf Facility

2,510 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dcrewint
dcrewint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quick info: I'm a high school golf coach and want to create an indoor golf facility. I'm testing the waters to see if anyone wants or knows of someone that might want to donate to a program. Also, looking for tips in getting this done.

The details:

I've been coaching golf for 5 years, this is my 3rd year at the high school. My program has 10 players(girls), while the boys' coach has maybe a few more. We want to grow the game, but we also want to have an available space to practice especially on bad weather days for our teams to practice in. Since I've been at the high school, the boys' coach and I have tossed around the idea of having an indoor facility built, but it fizzles out when we start talking $. I was speaking to another coach at my annual tournament from a competitive golf program and he told me they had $200k lined up, but it wasn't considered enough for their school district to buy in.

I'm about to dive into conversations with a local "premier" course pro about hosting a fundraiser scramble that might be held 6 months - 1 year from now. To allow for the CV situation to die down and to secure sponsors (where the big money comes from, so I hear). I know that won't even scratch the surface, but can be used to purchase needed equipment.

Questions I have are:

Anyone know how much it would cost to create a stand alone facility such as - Hokies Golf Facility(pictures are for reference). I'd like to have 4-5 hitting bays, not all would need to have a launch monitor. A putting surface with undulations that would allow for 5-10 players at a time. A wedge game turf to chip onto the putting surface as well. Other ideas that aren't a make or break would be a locker room(boys/girls), coaches office.

Anyone here have any history with schools, fundraising and getting schools to get on board with development of a facility? Any tips? Is naming the facility after a donor at the high school level an issue?

Anyone want or know someone that might be interested in being a donor for such a thing?

I know I'm probably way out of my league here, but I don't want to just sit here and be complacent. The CV situation has got me wondering and I don't want to be 10 years down the road and ask myself, why didn't I just see what's out there?

Thanks in advance for just taking a look and offering up any adavice/thoughts.
AustinCountyAg
I hope you're coaching at an elite private school or one of the big money 6a's in the state with an elite athletics program.

If not you can kiss your dream goodbye imo. Unless your situation is very different nobody will invest that kind of money into a golf program when football is king.

My advice is buy some of the pop of rukket nets and get some decent turf mats to hit off. The rukket nets are nice because their is no assembly. Pull them out the bag and the automatically pop up. I have one for use at home and it's sweet. Good luck.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I live on VT golf course and the practice facility is driver and a wedge away. I will ask around.
KBAGOLFER
AustinCountyAg said:

I hope you're coaching at an elite private school or one of the big money 6a's in the state with an elite athletics program.

If not you can kiss your dream goodbye imo. Unless your situation is very different nobody will invest that kind of money into a golf program when football is king.

My advice is buy some of the pop of rukket nets and get some decent turf mats to hit off. The rukket nets are nice because their is no assembly. Pull them out the bag and the automatically pop up. I have one for use at home and it's sweet. Good luck.

I have a indoor driving range in my garage.$250 on Amazon. Mat, net, tees, and balls
dcrewint
Thanks~
Hamburger Dan
I built something similar at the school I used to coach. I found an unused space in the basement of the school. 56' long by 24' wide. It had an 18' ceiling and a door leading out to a parking lot. It worked out very well, and I got a lot of compliments over it. At the school I Coach now - I have an approximately 60' by 60' metal building. We have three large garage type doors that we can open up to hit out on an old baseball field. I also have 4 hitting stations that we can hit balls into a net that hangs down from a 22' ceiling. I have a 5 hole putting green in the center, and chipping area in the back to work on your short game. No storage, but plenty of room for us to workout when the weather is bad, plus a year ago I put up pictures, banners, flags, trophies, plaques, etc. It really looks better with some new paint and the awards on display.
I do Middle School golf lessons in the mornings, year round for our school district- then our HS teams use when needed. I can work with 16-20 kids safely and fairly effectively. It's about 8 years old, I'll check to see what it cost. If you need any ideas, let me know.
dcrewint
That sounds awesome. I'm interested in hearing cost #s and time spent constructing.
Sooner Born
We have a bunch of them up here in the Twin Cities to get the golf addicts through the winter. You should contact a few of them and then come up for a tour when travel is allowed again.
dcrewint
As in, Minneapolis?
Sooner Born
Is there another Twin Cities?
dcrewint
Haha, I thought Bryan/C.S. but then saw "up".
Hamburger Dan
OP, with all the schools shut down, I'm having a hard time getting information on our Indoor Golf Building. At our place, it was done during a previous AD. It could be later, rather than sooner, but I'll have numbers for you.
dcrewint
Quite understandable! Thanks for the communication.
JHUAggie
Sooner Born said:

Is there another Twin Cities?
It's "The Cities" you ignorant Okie.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I talked to several guys close to the program. The indoor facility is near the campus and not by the course 15 min away. The building was already there but a donation of $100,000 allowed the donor to put his name on the facility. They said 2 hitting stalls with a simulator and putting green is it.

They do have a separate sweet outdoor facility at the other side of the public driving range. Those kids are rock stars. We stay out of their way when theyre on the course.
dcrewint
Impressive! Thanks for the info. 100k with the building already in place. I got to get to work.
Hamburger Dan
dcrewint said:

Quick info: I'm a high school golf coach and want to create an indoor golf facility. I'm testing the waters to see if anyone wants or knows of someone that might want to donate to a program. Also, looking for tips in getting this done.

The details:

I've been coaching golf for 5 years, this is my 3rd year at the high school. My program has 10 players(girls), while the boys' coach has maybe a few more. We want to grow the game, but we also want to have an available space to practice especially on bad weather days for our teams to practice in. Since I've been at the high school, the boys' coach and I have tossed around the idea of having an indoor facility built, but it fizzles out when we start talking $. I was speaking to another coach at my annual tournament from a competitive golf program and he told me they had $200k lined up, but it wasn't considered enough for their school district to buy in.

I'm about to dive into conversations with a local "premier" course pro about hosting a fundraiser scramble that might be held 6 months - 1 year from now. To allow for the CV situation to die down and to secure sponsors (where the big money comes from, so I hear). I know that won't even scratch the surface, but can be used to purchase needed equipment.

Questions I have are:

Anyone know how much it would cost to create a stand alone facility such as - Hokies Golf Facility(pictures are for reference). I'd like to have 4-5 hitting bays, not all would need to have a launch monitor. A putting surface with undulations that would allow for 5-10 players at a time. A wedge game turf to chip onto the putting surface as well. Other ideas that aren't a make or break would be a locker room(boys/girls), coaches office.

Anyone here have any history with schools, fundraising and getting schools to get on board with development of a facility? Any tips? Is naming the facility after a donor at the high school level an issue?

Anyone want or know someone that might be interested in being a donor for such a thing?

I know I'm probably way out of my league here, but I don't want to just sit here and be complacent. The CV situation has got me wondering and I don't want to be 10 years down the road and ask myself, why didn't I just see what's out there?

Thanks in advance for just taking a look and offering up any adavice/thoughts.

Finally got a little more info for you. It looks like our indoor golf building cost approximately 60 grand. Three big roll up doors, 2 walk in doors, indoor / outdoor turf carpeting everywhere, except a 24' x 24' putting green. Lots of overhead lights, and a couple of small heaters, hang down nets everywhere and a small chipping area I believe the carpet and the indoor putting green set-up, were donated. I've recently finished out the inside by putting plywood along the inside to a height of 8', paint, trim, shelving, and a little storage. I got most of that material donated by the guy that built our house. There a few things I would tweak to make it perfect, but's pretty solid. As stated before, I give golf lessons to 6, 45 minute middle school classes throughout the day. We use the indoor facility for the HS team, when needed. It is set up be able to work with approximately 16-20 kids fairly safely. I live in the Lubbock area. If you are ever out this way, look me up. Good luck!
dcrewint
Thank you sir! Closest I've ever been to Lubbock was Abilene for track in college lol. If I make it that way, I'll message ya
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.