Austin Golf Courses Closed

4,795 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by southernskies
bodaciousbood14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/two-new-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-in-austin-travis-county-total-now-at-five/

City of Austin Golf Courses are now closed...now I have to drive all the way to Round Rock to play
Mr.Bond
AG
Austin
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Rubble
AG
Get ready, everything will close soon.
Big Al 1992
AG
Golf would be about as much social distancing as you could get if you don't go to the 19th hole. Or play a public course that's backed up on a weekend.
Rubble
AG
Except who touched the flagstick before you? Who rode in the cart before you? Who used the pencil before you? No one washes their hands on a golf course regularly...

I get that you aren't in close quarters per se, but the risk is still out there.
bodaciousbood14
AG
LantanaAg said:

Except who touched the flagstick before you? Leave the flag in. Who rode in the cart before you? Walk. Who used the pencil before you? Get with the times and track your score on one of the countless apps they have for that now. No one washes their hands on a golf course regularly...

I get that you aren't in close quarters per se, but the risk is still out there.
Not a problem
lazuras_dc
AG
No telling who's been hacking sand in the bunker before I got there
Rubble
AG
bodaciousbood14 said:

LantanaAg said:

Except who touched the flagstick before you? Leave the flag in. Who rode in the cart before you? Walk. Who used the pencil before you? Get with the times and track your score on one of the countless apps they have for that now. No one washes their hands on a golf course regularly...

Not a problem

Don't like the flag in

If the cart fee is included with the green fee (as it is at most public courses), I'm using a ****ing cart.

I still like the pencil and score card. I don't get my phone out at all during a round, other than maybe to change the music if I happen to be listening to it that day.
Trinity Ag
S
LantanaAg said:

bodaciousbood14 said:

LantanaAg said:

Not a problem

Don't like the flag in

If the cart fee is included with the green fee (as it is at most public courses), I'm using a ****ing cart.

I still like the pencil and score card. I don't get my phone out at all during a round, other than maybe to change the music if I happen to be listening to it that day.
It is 80+ degrees most days -- and carts, flags, etc are all outside.

The club staff can wipe down the carts after use.

Social distancing is important, but keeping people employed is important, too. There needs to be common sense to keep as much low-risk economic activity as possible happening, or the downstream effects are going to be worse.

Traditions is staying open (so far) -- and God bless them for it. I'm sure the folks whose livelihood depends on hourly wages appreciate it as well.

robdobyns
AG
Closing the Austin muni courses makes very little sense. But it's Austin. Some of my playing partners were concerned that the city council would turn Lions Municipal into a permanent homeless encampment.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AustinCountyAg
Most likely headed to traditions tomm or Wednesday. Gotta feeling everything is fixing to go on lock down. Might as well get one last round in
Rubble
AG
I don't disagree. I'd much rather go play golf than sit at home, but I understand why they are closing too
The Lost
I want to play Saturday, but I'm going to wait because it's either going to be closed or completely fill up since there isn't anything else to do and I don't know that I want to deal with that either.
Trinity Ag
S
LantanaAg said:

I don't disagree. I'd much rather go play golf than sit at home, but I understand why they are closing too
Risk is certainly higher in Austin than B/CS -- especially with A&M students mainly out of town.

It is also a city vs private thing. City doesn't have to actually cater to members -- the munis do more business than they can handle as it is.

I'm guessing the private clubs are still open.

Living in the development, and having my own cart, I literally don't have to get within 10 feet of anyone or.
Austintm
My club in Austin is open. They have removed the water coolers from the course, The club itself has cut back on camps, child care, gym hours, etc. Otherwise open. I imagine the dining will be cut to to-go only soon.

As for golf: leave the flag in and concede anything even remotely close to the flag, take a couple of wipes and wipe down the cart before you use it. And take your own pencil. Or just go have fun or do match play so you don't even need to keep score.
EMY92
AG
UV rays in sunlight also are awesome at killing viruses.
Rubble
AG
Trinity Ag said:

LantanaAg said:

Risk is certainly higher in Austin than B/CS -- especially with A&M students mainly out of town.

It is also a city vs private thing. City doesn't have to actually cater to members -- the munis do more business than they can handle as it is.

Living in the development, and having my own cart, I literally don't have to get within 10 feet of anyone or.

Several private clubs in DFW are closed for at least two weeks. It won't be long before most, of not all, of them do.

We're headed towards a complete shutdown, and unfortunately golf courses and clubs are not "essential" businesses.
Trinity Ag
S
LantanaAg said:

Trinity Ag said:

LantanaAg said:

Several private clubs in DFW are closed for at least two weeks. It won't be long before most, of not all, of them do.

We're headed towards a complete shutdown, and unfortunately golf courses and clubs are not "essential" businesses.
You may well be right.

But this is why there should be some flexibility for state & local officials to make determinations.

Essential is tough to define. It is pretty essential if your hourly paycheck keeps a roof over your head.

"Essential and low risk" businesses should stay open, with precautions taken to limit social contact.
agsalaska
AG
Quote:

But this is why there should be some flexibility for state & local officials to make determinations.
All of these decisions are being made by state and local officials.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Rubble
AG
Yep. The city of Dallas just shut down all city playgrounds, tennis courts, and....wait for it....golf courses.

I know some of you think these should stay open, but they don't need to. This will not be contained if everything except essential businesses are shut down.

You guys can go a few weeks or a month without playing golf, I promise.
agsalaska
AG
I agree.

As someone said on the Politics board the other day 'Pandemics absolutely suck.'
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Trinity Ag
S
agsalaska said:

Quote:

Yes -- and why the decisions that Bryan makes may/should be different than those made in Dallas or Austin.
agsalaska
AG
Trinity Ag said:

agsalaska said:

Quote:

Yes -- and why the decisions that Bryan makes may/should be different than those made in Dallas or Austin.
I dont think they should be any different. It is my understanding from some pretty smart people that this really needs to happen in any population center, including B/CS. The more they do it the more effective this will be.

And I know this is the golf board, but I trust that we can have a sane conversation about this that may include public/political decisions without getting all forum 16.
Rubble
AG
I agree. They shouldn't be any different at all (nor should any city that has more than 500-1000 people living in it). There are way more actual people that have this virus, the testing just got started. There will also be thousands, possibly millions, that get it and never know it nor get tested for it. It's everywhere, unfortunately, and we're just at the beginning of it.
Trinity Ag
S
If you can maintain an appropriate degree of social isolation, and keep a business open, I say you do it.

The entire population can't seal itself in plastic boxes for the months it is going to take for this to "work its way through".

Bars? sure.

Liquor stores? maybe not

Grocery stores? of course not

Restaurants? not entirely

agsalaska
AG
Trinity Ag said:

If you can maintain an appropriate degree of social isolation, and keep a business open, I say you do it.

The entire population can't seal itself in plastic boxes for the months it is going to take for this to "work its way through".

Bars? sure.

Liquor stores? maybe not

As I understand it this is where the problem is. What the general population thinks about how much social isolation is necessary and how much the experts(who I mostly agree with) think social isolation is necessary are two entirely different things. The math and science guys say it needs to be a much larger segment of the population than we want to except. And a part of that includes golf courses. All of them.
Trinity Ag
S
agsalaska said:

Trinity Ag said:

Bars? sure.

Liquor stores? maybe not

As I understand it this is where the problem is. What the general population thinks about how much social isolation is necessary and how much the experts(who I mostly agree with) think social isolation is necessary are two entirely different things. The math and science guys say it needs to be a much larger segment of the population than we want to except. And a part of that includes golf courses. All of them.
OK. The math and science guys have zero concept on how a specific facility operates, and are going to give generic guidance like "do nothing that is unnecessary".

Math and science guys have zero stake in people's livelihoods -- they are offering a clinical opinion on how best to stop spread of a communicable disease. That is their job, and fair enough. They have no responsibility to consider the economic impact of a complete quarantine -- so err on the side of stopping everything, everywhere.

Not intending to turn this into the politics board.

My club is still open, and I am glad it is -- for the people who live here, use it for routine meals, source of exercise, and general quality of life, and for the employees that rely on it for their livelihood.

At the moment the management assesses the risk is too great and shuts it down, I won't say a word about it.
agsalaska
AG
Quote:

Math and science guys have zero stake in people's livelihoods
Totally disagree with that. Math and science guys have livelihoods.

And have no concerns of talking politics on this thread on the golf board, as long as it doesnt turn into a forum 16 thread.
The Lost
Denver and Fort Collins shut down their public courses today
CapCity12thMan
AG
update from GolfATX:

Effective Wed., 3/18/20 While all Austin Parks & Recreation facilities are closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, and the City of Austin and Travis County discourage public gatherings of more than 10 people, walking only at the City's municipal golf courses will currently be permitted. Golfers are advised that course amenities will not be open or operational if they choose to access the golf courses. On-site closures include: pro shop, golf cart rentals, restrooms, food concessions, and other amenities. Golfers choosing to access the course should practice social distancing from other golfers, as well as use hand sanitizer when coming into contact with course features. Golfers should avoid congregating in groups larger than 10 people. This provision may change at any time by order of the Health Department or authorized City of Austin official. Please be aware of golf course maintenance crews working on site.

Golf ATX golf courses offer a great golf experience at an affordable price. The six city-operated public golf courses and one short-practice course are centrally located and minutes from downtown Austin. Each course is unique in design and setting, and golfers of all ages and skill levels visit the Golf ATX courses to play recreationally and competitively. Golf ATX experience a round for yourself.

http://www.austintexas.gov/department/golf-atx
Hanrahan
AG
spanish oaks in austin is still open for play but restricted food/drink service to delivery on course only and removed the comfort stations stocking and removed all coolers of drinks on course and no after round drinks/food in clubhouse.
KBAGOLFER
Anytime you want to let a guest play. I'd love the opportunity to practice and play at Spanish Oaks. The guys at Fazio Canyons said Spanish Oaks is the best player practice area in TX
CapCity12thMan
AG
In for the Spanish oaks invite...I live in bee cave and can be there in 9 minutes
Hanrahan
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

In for the Spanish oaks invite...I live in bee cave and can be there in 9 minutes

Ha well gonna have to rain check that for now. They just told us today with the new lock down the course will be open but no guest play is allowed and we have to be one to a cart or walk. That and they have closed the practice facilities. And in an odd twist we were told we have to buy some type of food or drink to be able to play.... I didn't see that in the order. Lol.
tamc91
AG
I was thinking about walking the back 9 of Grey Rock today or this week. Anyone been out to any of the Austin municipal courses and walked. How many were out there?

Update: walked front 9 at GR. Not the best course to walk, but had a good time. Had a threesome ahead of me and a single behind. Pace was decent . Not too many people out but 10+ cars parked outside the gates. It was open but the rumor was they would close it at 6pm. Only real pain was they took the flags away, so you really had no idea where the pin was until you were really close. Other golfers used sticks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.