Golf Club Fitting

2,517 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cashag95
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it worth getting fitted?

I am looking at getting a good set of clubs that will last for a while. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Also, is it worth the extra cost for graphite shafts?

I am definitely an amateur looking to become respectable within my work circle.
Mr.Bond
AG

1000 percent yes assuming your game is in a relatively decent state. Don't go in if your swing is in complete shambles. It would be like getting fitted for a suit knowing you're about to go on a big diet
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Mr.Bond said:

1000 percent yes assuming your game is in a relatively decent state. Don't go in if your swing is in complete shambles. It would be like getting fitted for a suit knowing you're about to go on a big diet
I couldn't say if my swing is in complete shambles... I hit the driving range with my brother today and had to really squat down to get consistent hits using my dads clubs.

I would say probably 75%+ of my hits went for ~200-250y with a 30 year old driver. The rest were shanked and don't really need to be mentioned.

Obi Wan Ginobili
In this scenario, I would take some lessons first. Fitting is worth it, but not if you're shanking a driver.

To answer your question, I'm assuming you're talking about graphite shafts for your irons. Are they worth it? Only if the fitter says they are! There is no "best" that suits everyone. You can spend 5 grand on clubs and get worse if they aren't right for you.

For anyone considering it, if you're about to spend over $1,000 on new irons (or over $2,000 for a full bag), why wouldn't you spend an extra $50-$100 to make sure they are the right specs for you??
AggieDruggist89
AG
I've never taken a lesson nor had fitted clubs. My dad gave me his old set of Lynx Predator irons from the 70s and some persimmon woods. All standard length and lies. I just learned to play with them.

Can fitting help? For lie and shaft flexibility fitting probably.

So what would happen if you get fitted with a bad stance and a bad swing and get a set of clubs thats fitted to accommodate the bads? You may play better.

Then what happens once you get into a better swing position with the fitted clubs with wrong lies and shaft flex? I guess your body and swing can adjust to it.

I know this. I hit balls twice a day on my simulator. My swing speed and ball flight differ every session. My swing speed can fluctuate 10% from day to day and from morning to evening.

So, clubs from one fitting session when you're feeling strong may not be optimal the next day.

Just an opinion from what I go through day to day as an avid golfer.

Been golfing for 40 years. A lot of golf while at A&M and then grad school from 85 to 95. Intermittent golf from 95 until 2 years ago. Now taking golf seriously.

I prefer the feel of steel shaft in irons. Also, steel shafts have lower tourque than graphite unless you're getting into high end expensive and heavy graphite. So what are you gaining other than a possibility of prevention of tendinitis?

TLDR

Watching Shells wonderful world of golf, Henry Cotton vs. Gene Sarazen. ST Andrews. First hole, 374 yards down wind. They both drive 220 and 230 yards. Sarazen hits 5 iron and Cotton 6 iron..
G Martin 87
AG
I started at the other end of my bag and did a putter fitting first. After analyzing my scores and where I was losing strokes, limiting 3 putts was my top priority. The stroke numbers showed that my follow through was too long and I wasn't accelerating through the ball. I got fit into 36" length and blades with slight toe hang. The fitter worked with me on some simple drills and tweaks to my putting stroke while I tried several putters that fit my numbers better. It took a couple of weeks for the builder to ship my new putter (an Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide.) My first two rounds I dropped 8 and 3 putts from my average putts per round. Now that's just my experience, but maybe it's worth considering at least a putter fitting while you work on your swing.
AggieDruggist89
AG
G Martin 87 said:

I started at the other end of my bag and did a putter fitting first. After analyzing my scores and where I was losing strokes, limiting 3 putts was my top priority. The stroke numbers showed that my follow through was too long and I wasn't accelerating through the ball. I got fit into 36" length and blades with slight toe hang. The fitter worked with me on some simple drills and tweaks to my putting stroke while I tried several putters that fit my numbers better. It took a couple of weeks for the builder to ship my new putter (an Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide.) My first two rounds I dropped 8 and 3 putts from my average putts per round. Now that's just my experience, but maybe it's worth considering at least a putter fitting while you work on your swing.
Smart!
Trinity Ag
S
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I am looking at getting a good set of clubs that will last for a while. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

How tall are you?

Do you have long or short arms?

Those are the major questions that affect whether fitting will really help if you are a 20+ handicap (barely breaking 100).

If you a person of average stature (5'9-6"0), regular loft & lie is a good place to start. If you are really tall, or really short, it is worth getting fitted right away for shaft length & lie angle.

Go to a Galaxy Golf and hit a variety of irons and drivers with different shafts.

Pick the general type you like, and the shaft that very roughly suits your swing speed.

Then buy a similar used set on eBay (couple of model years old).

Get some lessons, or just watch YouTube & practice. Game them til your swing is good enough to break 90, then get fitted.

Tx-Ag2010
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

How tall are you?

Those are the major questions that affect whether fitting will really help if you are a 20+ handicap (barely breaking 100).

If you a person of average stature (5'9-6"0), regular loft & lie is a good place to start. If you are really tall, or really short, it is worth getting fitted right away for shaft length & lie angle.

Go to a Galaxy Golf and hit a variety of irons and drivers with different shafts.

Pick the general type you like, and the shaft that very roughly suits your swing speed.

Get some lessons, or just watch YouTube & practice. Game them til your swing is good enough to break 90, then get fitted.

I'm 6'4" with a 77.5" wingspan. I typically need to squat down a good bit to make the clubs I borrow get under the ball and not do my typical worm burner.
G Martin 87
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Trinity Ag said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

How tall are you?

I'm 6'4" with a 77.5" wingspan. I typically need to squat down a good bit to make the clubs I borrow get under the ball and not do my typical worm burner.

Sounds like fitting would definitely help. You shouldn't have to squat down, and you won't be able to develop a sound swing with clubs that short before getting fit anyway.
AggieDruggist89
AG
With your height, yes get fitted.
Trinity Ag
S
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Trinity Ag said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

How tall are you?

Definitely get fitted. At your size, you are going to frustrate yourself with off the rack gear.

The only thing I would advise on is that if you are on a budget, be cautious of the shaft upsell.

Most brands offer a variety of shafts for no upcharge -- but a fitter will sometimes put you into some exotic shafts that may cost $40+ more per club. Be upfront about your budget, and they should find you something.

Length and lie are the most important things, then shaft weight & flex, then bend point -- the first two will be pretty static as your swing improves.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I have a fitting scheduled for Thursday at Golftec in Baywood.

What should I be on the look out for in terms of up sell? I was a good set up clubs that will last me a while but don't want to pay for stuff I don't need (extra fancy shaft, more clubs, etc. )
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up getting a set of Callaway Mavrik Max clubs with the steel shaft.

I ended up getting shafts 2" longer than standard. Definitely felt more comfortable and consistent swinging.

Now I just have to wait a couple weeks (hope they aren't coming from California...)
cashag95
AG
How was your experience at Golftec for the fitting? Have you been able to play with your new clubs yet and do you notice a difference in your game? How much did they charge you if you dont mind me asking?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.