Masters Postponed

7,481 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
Obi Wan Ginobili
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The hits just keep on coming.
Mr.Bond
AG
When exactly could they push it to?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Obi Wan Ginobili
I suppose they could make it the same week as a lesser tournament and run them side by side? Anyone not invited to play the Masters can play the other PGA tournament that day? Who knows. This is unprecedented.

wangus12
AG
Put it in October
Aggie95
AG
I just don't understand. I know golf isn't the wide spread appeal of football or baseball, but at some point the American people will need something "normal" to get their minds off this crazy. Most of these PGA guys travel by private plane so travel is not much of an issue. I can understand no patrons, but to cancel an outdoor event where the standard "social distance" is probably greater than 50 ft screams total overkill and pure insanity.
JCA1
AG
Doesn't the grass die around May and not come back until the fall? Not sure when they could do this unless they can squeeze it in in late April.
AustinCountyAg
Aggie95 said:

I just don't understand. I know golf isn't the wide spread appeal of football or baseball, but at some point the American people will need something "normal" to get their minds off this crazy. Most of these PGA guys travel by private plane so travel is not much of an issue. I can understand no patrons, but to cancel an outdoor event where the standard "social distance" is probably greater than 50 ft screams total overkill and pure insanity.

At the tournament yes, but the influx of people at local restaurants, bars, etc is something to consider.
Rubble
AG
JCA1 said:

Doesn't the grass die around May and not come back until the fall? Not sure when they could do this unless they can squeeze it in in late April.

It's closed from May to October, so this will be interesting to see what they do.
watty
AG
TIGER WOODS IS BEHIND THIS
Tom Hagen
AG
Seems like they jumped the gun. It's a month away.
garym2001
AG
October would be awesome. Course would play firmer and faster.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Tom Hagen said:

NCAA canceled the College World Series, that's jumping the gun
JCA1
AG
Tom Hagen said:

I can't imagine the preparation that goes into the Masters. The fact that the tournament itself is a month away doesn't change the fact that getting ready for it is probably an around-the-clock job right now.
Confucius
wangus12 said:

Put it in October

Agree with this. I've heard some ANGC members say the best time to play is in October after the heat dies off and there is no pollen in the air. Obviously, no azaleas will be blooming, but oh well.

Would create an interesting dynamic with the FedEx Cup being decided before the biggest major of the year is played.
the last of the bohemians
I think you have delay fedex cup to late October or November then
Ag_07
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B9rmNWkFpt6aDiy-5h6HUqRtKO7CLqWCUpn-h80
Shiner Bock
AG
JCA1 said:

The rye dies off and the Bermuda comes through. They generally strip the Bermuda to damn near soil before reseeding for the following year rye. I've heard that the course looks awful in the summer when it's closed.

If tourney was moved to Oct I presume they would just prepare for a tourney on Bermuda

https://nolayingup.com/2018/04/06/masters-agronomic-summary/
Alta
AG
You can see what the course looks like on google earth in the summer (or you used to be able to). Not pretty

That said I would bet Augusta could get the course looking beautiful anytime of year they wanted.
Quinn
AG
If you're jonesing for some Masters, don't forget that the old final round broadcast are available on The Masters YouTube channel.
Wildcat
AG
Any updates or rumors out there on rescheduling?
Mr.Bond
AG
Wildcat said:

Any updates or rumors out there on rescheduling?

Rumors are still fall time
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Duckhook
AG
CBS carries both the Masters and NFL and college football. If the tournament is moved to the fall, will be interesting to see how they manage the broadcast scheduling.
Yesterday
AG
I read that ANGC has asked surrounding schools if they will extend their fall breaks to coincide with a fall tournament. That came from the internet so who knows
JCA1
AG
They could make a fall tourney work. Most of the good players don't play the fall series anyway. And it would be hard for anyone to complain about a make-up masters just because the Safeway Open is also going on.
The Lost
Duckhook said:

CBS carries both the Masters and NFL and college football. If the tournament is moved to the fall, will be interesting to see how they manage the broadcast scheduling.

College would be easy to work around with, just make the game a night game, I'm sure they could flex that. NFL would be harder, but I'm sure doable.
Quinn
AG
They could play the Masters as a shotgun start on Christmas Day and everyone would show up. I agree with everyone that it will be October or November.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Lots of Augusta hotels have recently put Masters rate rules on the weeks of October 5th and 12th....
The Milkman
AG
If they do that they then will end up with 2 Masters only 6 months apart. I don't care for that. I think I'd rather they just wait until 2021.

Also, I have a trip planned to Hawaii for early October 2020 and taking three days off for the Masters trip in addition to a week for hawaii may prove difficult.
Mr.Bond
AG
The Milkman said:

Also, I have a trip planned to Hawaii for early October 2020 and taking three days off for the Masters trip in addition to a week for hawaii may prove difficult.

Life doesn't revolve around Mr. Milkman!!!! I need my fuggin masters!

_lefraud_
AG
So you'd rather have 24 months between Masters?? That's pretty dumb...
JCA1
AG
Are people really complaining about the possibility of 2 masters in 6 months?!
Mr.Bond
AG
JCA1 said:

Well I mean if it inconveniences one's trip to Hawaii AND Augusta..... I mean have some sympathy for the guy

Out in Left Field
AG
The Milkman said:

If they do that they then will end up with 2 Masters only 6 months apart. I don't care for that. I think I'd rather they just wait until 2021.

No one cares about your dumb Hawaii trip
Yesterday
AG
I'd much rather have the Masters in a few weeks but some Chinese **** ate a Bat with a side of Pig and formed a global frenzy.
JCA1
AG
Mr.Bond said:

JCA1 said:

Well I mean if it inconveniences one's trip to Hawaii AND Augusta..... I mean have some sympathy for the guy

I think a man with his impressive internet credentials can find a way to manage both.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.