Aggie Golf

1,862 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Deluxe
Deluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another strong showing today. Finished 2nd against a strong field at the Cabo Collegiate. Walker Lee shot 64 in very tough conditions to come from behind and win individually. No one else shot better than 68 today.

The team is shaping up nicely as postseason play nears. Lee and William Paysse have been stellar, but Dan Erickson, Jimmy Lee and Sam Bennett are playing solid golf too and Brandon Smith (a key part of our last two teams that made match play runs) is in the mix.

This team kinda reminds me of the 2018 squad that was ranked No. 2 in the nation for much of the year. The difference this year is that there's no Oklahoma State Wolff/Hovland dragon to slay. NCAAs should be much more wide open this year and the Ags are setting them up to have as good a chance as anyone.

Another plus to this year's team is that Lee, Paysse, J Lee and Bennett should all be back next year. J Lee and Paysse are freshmen.
AggieEyes
AG
Awesome. Keep posting more and I hope we have a good run this year. I see Vishnu (incoming commit) working on his game all the time in Houston. He has game and high potential.
Harry Stone
AG
looking good. speaking of stacked field:

http://results.golfstat.com//public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=18205
Deluxe
AG
Ags teeing it up in San Diego the next two days. Follow along here:

Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic

The team is up to No. 5 in the nation on Golfstat and No. 9 per Golfweek Sagarin. I tend to think we're still a little underrated relative to those rankings.

Interesting lineup note this week that Reese Ramsey qualified in the top 5 and William Paysse/Brandon Smith are playing as individuals.
Deluxe
AG
Current individual rankings per Golfweek/Sagarin:

31. Walker Lee (fresh off a win over a great field in Cabo)
52. William Paysse
73. Sam Bennett
112. Dan Erickson
115. Jimmy Lee
154: Brandon Smith

Having six guys in the top ~150 is a pretty nice luxury and should keep competition very high in practice/qualifying.
E
AG
Looking at current round scores, front 9 (which we are on) is much tougher then back 9
Deluxe
AG
https://12thman.com/news/2020/3/9/mens-golf-aggie-golf-stands-in-seventh-place-at-san-diego-classic.aspx

Not the best day for the Ags yesterday but not terrible. Still in position to win (or at least grab another top three finish) with a good round today. From what I understand, the greens were very firm/fast yesterday and it took our guys a little time to adjust, but they got better as the day went along.

Both Aggies playing in a nearby individual tournament are faring very well. Andrew Paysse leads at 4-under and Brandon Smith is in 2nd at 3-under. Ags would probably be in the lead if either of them were in the team lineup this week but it's a long season. Good for depth to have 7 guys stay tournament sharp.
RigsTx
AG
Deluxe said:

https://12thman.com/news/2020/3/9/mens-golf-aggie-golf-stands-in-seventh-place-at-san-diego-classic.aspx

Not the best day for the Ags yesterday but not terrible. Still in position to win (or at least grab another top three finish) with a good round today. From what I understand, the greens were very firm/fast yesterday and it took our guys a little time to adjust, but they got better as the day went along.

Both Aggies playing in a nearby individual tournament are faring very well. Andrew Paysse leads at 4-under and Brandon Smith is in 2nd at 3-under. Ags would probably be in the lead if either of them were in the team lineup this week but it's a long season. Good for depth to have 7 guys stay tournament sharp.
That was going to be my question. Why wouldn't you have Paysse or Smith in the Team Lineup and let Ramsey play as an individual.

But I get wanting to have options as the season progresses.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. The lineup decision was kind of a head scratcher for me. We finished five shots behind the winner (Tennessee) and had to count a 76 in round 1 and a 73 in round 3.

Overall it was another solid showing. We kept up our top five streak. Erickson/Bennett played well. But seems like it could have been a little better with some lineup reshuffling.
Deluxe
AG
Huge bummer about the remainder of the season getting canceled. The Ags had a good shot to take home some hardware this year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.