Peter Kostis on NLU Podcast - Rips CBS, The Tour, and Patrick Reed

3,816 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JYDog90
Baby Billy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was fantastic. Kostis doesn't hold back anything. Talks a lot about why he and McCord were let go, what went into that decision by CBS, and why Golf coverage on TV is so horrible. Also gives opinions on Patrick Reed and other instances he's seen from Reed that nobody knows about.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nlu-podcast-episode-282-peter-kostis/id880837011?i=1000466022413
K Bo
AG
Just started this ep this morning, hope to finish it over lunch. I'm really interested to hear his take.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Started it last night. Haven't gotten to the Reed stuff but looking forward to it.
Prexys Moon
AG
just amanda balonis (sp?) wants to make me change the channel. Nantz is beyond awful as well. Of course they are super woke so they have Dottie Pepper also. Maybe in a year or two they can get Jessica Mendoza or Jemele Hill.
GIF Reactor
AG
Wait, what? The addition of Dottie Pepper makes them super woke?
aggiedent
AG
Yeah.............. Dottie Pepper's presence is not being woke. She knows her stuff. No need to tilt at windmills.

I'm 22 min in and it makes for a great listen. Of course we all know how finances and marketing impact running a business. That said, it's eye opening to hear about camera shortages and a lack of experienced cameramen.

It may be because of what the PGA tour dictates, but CBS has got to get it together or ratings will start to tank.
jja79
AG
Did he mention he's a complete hack as an announcer? Add something other than "could have gone in for the same price" and maybe you don't get canned.
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

"I've seen Patrick Reed improve his lie, up close and personal, four times now," Kostis said.

One such instance came during the final round of The Barclays in 2016 at Bethpage Black, an event that Reed went on to win. After hitting his drive on the 13th hole into thick rough just off the fairway, Reed put an iron down multiple times behind the ball before ultimately hitting a 3-wood, a turn of events that drew Kostis' attention in live time on the broadcast.

"That's the only time I ever shut [Gary] McCord up. He didn't know what to say when I said, 'Well, the lie that I saw originally wouldn't have allowed for this shot,'" Kostis said. "Because he put four or five clubs behind the ball, kind of faking whether he's going to hit this shot or hit that shot. By the time he was done, he hit a freaking 3-wood out of there, which when I saw it, it was a sand wedge layup originally."

Quote:

Kostis shared further specifics on the other instances with Reed, including one on the 17th hole at the Travelers Championship and one from the par-3 16th at Torrey Pines South during an undated edition of the Farmers Insurance Open.

"He hit it over the green and did the same thing, put three or four clubs behind (the ball)," he said. "It was a really treacherous shot that nobody had gotten close all day long from over there. And by the time he was done, I could read 'Callaway' on the golf ball from my tower."

While Kostis did not hold back with his assessment of Reed's recent behavior, he also noted that the actions he witnessed may not have been premeditated or intentional.

"I'm not even sure that he knows that he's doing it sometimes. Maybe he does, I don't know," Kostis said. "I'm not going to assign intent. All I'm going to tell you is what I saw."
the last of the bohemians
To be fair I've seen this tactic of club indecision in the rough from other pros in the past. Now I understand why they were so indecisive, clever.
JYDog90
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

To be fair I've seen this tactic of club indecision in the rough from other pros in the past. Now I understand why they were so indecisive, clever.

Kostis was asked this specific question on the podcast, whether he had seen this tactic from other players. He said no.
Yesterday
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Kostis was asked this specific question on the podcast, whether he had seen this tactic from other players. He said no.

Someone just posted a video of Sergio doing it. At the time I didn't think it was cheating. It's at least borderline.
Prexys Moon
AG
really great podcast. Sounds like the tour is a bunch of corporate shills. CBS has to fill up so much time with promos, mentions, etc, that the actual golf really suffers.
AustinCountyAg
Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.
Bunk Moreland
AustinCountyAg said:

Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.

Total. Also makes me now not want to give him the listen on the podcast. That's such a load of *****
AgLA06
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.

Total. Also makes me now not want to give him the listen on the podcast. That's such a load of *****

Yep. I went from I don't like Kostis, but he's probably not far off to total biased hit job.

Edited: I forgot who got the cease and disist.
bagger05
AG
Why don't Sergio and Reed just pick up the ball and set it in a good lie like I do? Would save them a lot of time.
EKUAg
AG
AgLA06 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.

Yep. I went from I don't like Kostis, but he's probably not far off to total biased hit job.

No wonder he got a cease and desist. He probably should get a restraining order as well for being a little obsessed.

It was Chamblee that got the cease and desist. Where was it stated List is got one?
Maroon and White always! EKU/TAMU
EKUAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.

Based on what do you think he is lying?
Bunk Moreland
Based on watching golf on Saturday & Sunday afternoons and seeing guys constantly pounding their club into the rough behind the ball as they "think, prepare, wait, take 1/4 practice swings," etc.

I think Kostis is fine ****ting on someone he doesn't like (Reed) and talking openly about the network that no longer wants him, but given how casually it happens, other guys like Brooks saying he's seen very questionable things from other big names on the course, for a guy who walked with the pros for a living to act like he hasn't seen it seems like he's full of **** and keeping it centered on Reed because that won't damage his potential future job opportunities on-air.
EKUAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Based on watching golf on Saturday & Sunday afternoons and seeing guys constantly pounding their club into the rough behind the ball as they "think, prepare, wait, take 1/4 practice swings," etc.

I think Kostis is fine ****ting on someone he doesn't like (Reed) and talking openly about the network that no longer wants him, but given how casually it happens, other guys like Brooks saying he's seen very questionable things from other big names on the course, for a guy who walked with the pros for a living to act like he hasn't seen it seems like he's full of **** and keeping it centered on Reed because that won't damage his potential future job opportunities on-air.

Understand. May not agree but undrrstand.
Bunk Moreland
Fair. And I'm not saying every guy who is hitting the ground near the ball is trying to get an advantage, etc.

I just don't believe Kostis at his word when he says the only person he ever saw do it was Reed.
the last of the bohemians
I never thought to keep a running list when seeing guys switch clubs a couple times and then pretend to address the ball only to switch again. Every time you address the ball in the rough the weight of the club slightly moves down the grass.
Kostis is completely full of sh!!.
cb1919
AG
EKUAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Willy Wonka said:

I call BS.

Based on what do you think he is lying?

Watch any golf tournament this season. You will see almost every guy set the club down in the rough behind the ball once to multiple times before hitting it. It doesn't go the extent of the story he was telling of Reed going from a horrible lie to being able to read Callaway on the back of the ball but they pretty much all do it.
JCA1
AG
Like most things in life, it's a matter of degree. Kostis clearly thinks there's a difference between addressing your ball in the rough and any incidental dampening of the grass this might cause and what Reed does. I don't watch for this sort of thing enough to know, but I can at least see that being possible.

Ag_07
AG
For me it's all a matter of intent.

There's a difference in putting your club down behind the ball to see what kinda contact you're gonna be able to get and putting your club down to improve your lie.
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

8.1b/1 Meaning of "Ground the Club Lightly"
Rule 8.1b allows a player to ground the club lightly directly in front of or behind the ball, even if that improves his or her lie or area of intended swing.
"Ground the club lightly" means allowing the weight of the club to be supported by the grass, soil, sand or other material on or above the ground surface.
But the player gets the penalty under Rule 8.1a if he or she improves the lie or area of intended swing by pressing the club down more than lightly.
Based on the rule, intent doesn't matter. It's how you interpret "more than lightly". I think there is some grey area even with the definition above. I'm guessing Kostis think he's done it more than lightly in the instances he mentioned.

Great podcast overall. I need to listen to them more often.
92TXAG
AG
Peter Kostis just joined the same ranks of Hank Haney!

#poorform #stfu
DannyDuberstein
AG
I always liked Kostis on the broadcast, but this reeks of bitter fired old man
AgLA06
AG
Ag_07 said:

For me it's all a matter of intent.

There's a difference in putting your club down behind the ball to see what kinda contact you're gonna be able to get and putting your club down to improve your lie.
This is what is wrong with golf. Every damn rule is complex and mostly subjective. There shouldn't need to near as many inquisitions with rules officials by players who have been on the tour for years. If they don't know and don't want to be F'd from a subjective rule it should be simplified. Because it isn't any easier for a casual golfer.

And then they can't understand why so many aren't playing anymore because they can't commit 7 hours to play regularly (45 drive each way, range balls, and a 4 - 5 hour round).

I don't see the average golfer addressing the ball with the club behind it unless they're ready to hit. Pros can say what they want, but there's no reason to put a club behind the ball unless your trying to get an advantage (exact lie, improve lie, etc.) You don't do that to take practice swings.
JYDog90
AG
I wonder how many time players who put multiple clubs down behind the ball go with the more lofted club. This seems like the differentiator.
AgLA06
AG
I was really hoping Reed would dedicate that win to Kostis in his interview on 18 Sunday.
cab559
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I always liked Kostis on the broadcast, but this reeks of bitter fired old man

Completely agree. I listened to it today and thought it was a case of sour grapes. Total letdown since I already read the Patrick Reed quote in the news. We already knew he was a cheat and CBS golf sucks outside of the Masters.
JYDog90
AG
Yeah, I agree. Winsome is not an adjective I would use to describe him. Even at the beginning of the podcast when they thanked him for coming on he said something like "well, you bugged me long enough" but he didn't follow it up with a joke or even a laugh.

*****ly is probably a better word.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.